PDA

View Full Version : '04 SRT4 build up reccomendations

Directconnection
09-26-2011, 06:35 PM
A guy came in to our shop this afternoon with his '04 SRT4. He has a friend with a turboed Honda and some other friends with turbo cars making some "reported" big numbers. He wants to pull the motor, and have us build him a nice longblock. His goals are 350-400whp, but tells me you cannot get the Stage 3 setup from Mopar anymore.

The owner doesn't really know all that much about turbo performance, and might be getting in way over his head in tuning and turbo/intercooler choices, but we are going to quote him the longblock build.

What's the general consensus for a 400whp capable srt4? I know they can handle 350whp no problem on stock internals..... but might as well upgrade with Eagle rods, forged pistons, cometic, ARP hardware, and cams/cam gears. Doesn't Crane make kick-azz cams for these cars?

It's obvious I don't know a ton about the srt4, but I've seen plenty of videos of them running 50 trim turbos and easily hitting the goal he's after. To swap over to another turbo, he needs the exhaust manifold, too... or is it the PT Turbo that has the turbofold?

rich tideswell
09-26-2011, 07:20 PM
all stage kits from mopar are discontinued, BUT you can piece one together if you're patient and buy all the parts individually. OR call Modern Performance and see if they have any kits left they pieced together from NOS parts

http://www.modernperformance.com/mopar-stage-wheel-0305-p-2265.html

glhs727
09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
you don't need much for 400 whp. The internal can handle it, but if he is building his motor, then eagle rods are good, the BC 625 rods are better for a few $ more. Forged pistons, there is a domed design like stock which is nice. Most aftermarket are a dish style, but the valve relief cuts make the edges thin so make sure they are smoothing them down. Don't need much port work, if any for 400, but if you are redoign it, then you can port and go with +1mm intake and +2 exhaust. Cams should be done last and really not needed. We have found very little gain vs cost on a 400 hp set-up better off to stay stock and use the money elsewhere. Crane made some good cams, but went under in 08/09. They have come back but I don't see much crane stock available. The easiest and cheapest (using NEW parts) should be for him to go with a 50trim turbo and aftermarket cast manifold. Do the fuel mods like return line, bottle neck fix, 255 walbro and 750cc injectors. BFMIC and a tune will get you to 400 easy with a stock head/cams. Cost for the parts just listed would be about $3500. Heck, we sell all those parts! We just tuned a 50 trim on a 127K mile stock block/hea/intake/cams and he made 434 whp and 470 torgue at 25 psi of boost.....
later,
Cindy

Keito
09-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Like Cindy said, 400 HP isn't that hard.
Big turbo www.shoprealtuned.com/ http://www.agpturbo.com/categories/Vehicle-Specific/SRT%252d4-Neon/Turbo-Upgrades/
DSP http://www.diablosport.com/
3 Bar MAP and TIP(from the Caliber SRT-4)
Duster360's injectors with rescale for DSP(He's on here, get a tune from him while your at it)
255 pump
E85 would make it much easier

contraption22
09-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Doesn't the existance of the DiabloSport and SCT tuning tools make the fuel return line setup obsolete?

DodgeZ
09-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Doesn't the existance of the DiabloSport and SCT tuning tools make the fuel return line setup obsolete?
You can squeeze more out of your injectors if you use a return line since you have an adjustable regulator. You hook it to a vacuum like just like you do in the older cars do to combat boost to injector tip pressure. My 750's were just about tapped out at 420whp (dynojet) number without a using a vacuum line on the AFPR.

jl93sundance
11-22-2011, 05:22 PM
You can squeeze more out of your injectors if you use a return line since you have an adjustable regulator. You hook it to a vacuum like just like you do in the older cars do to combat boost to injector tip pressure. My 750's were just about tapped out at 420whp (dynojet) number without a using a vacuum line on the AFPR.

The way I see it is spend a few extra dollars on 1000cc or bigger injectors and not have to pay for a returnline+ afpr as well as 750cc injectors.