PDA

View Full Version : Repair L-Body shifter rod W/O heim joint. Charger Shelby

amoparx
09-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi All,
My shifter rod gave out. It's the one that has a large and small end. (The really bent one of the two) This is on a "Log" TI Shelby Charger. The insides of the big end came apart. It's now hollow. The swivel on the 525 can't come off the tranny with the turbo on the car. I was going to heim joint that one for now just to get the car going tonight. But can't do it if I can't remove the swivel. So, the big question is, has anyone ever "fixed" the large end of the shifter rod to buy some time until you could do a Heim joint conversion? This seems to be the one rod that fails the most.
I did try to remove the "pin" that the the swivel swivels on, off the tranny, but won't budge.

ajakeski
09-20-2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/L-Body_Shifter_Kits_For_Sale.html

The cure to your Shift linkage problems

minigts
09-20-2011, 09:41 PM
There a two different rods styles that have the bend. One has small ends on both and then yours. Also if you have a spare rod that has the bend, it CAN work if you are in a pinch.

And the only fix I've ever done which didn't last long was a coat hanger. :D Good luck though!

amoparx
09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
And the only fix I've ever done which didn't last long was a coat hanger
I was thinking about that. I have a spare swivel and some really strong wire. I was thinking about bending up something outside the car and then getting underneith and trying to install it. Easier said than done I'm sure.
Thanks for the reply.

turbovanmanČ
09-21-2011, 12:56 AM
http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/L-Body_Shifter_Kits_For_Sale.htm

The cure to your Shift linkage problems

Link no good.

ajakeski
09-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Link no good.

Link repaired.
http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/L-Body_Shifter_Kits_For_Sale.html

Www.greatlakeshotrod.com

turbovanmanČ
09-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Link repaired.

Www.greatlakeshotrod.com

I'll say it again, that's an awesome kit for a great price, :hail:

ajakeski
09-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you very much.

roachjuice
09-21-2011, 06:41 PM
I think I'm gonna order this for the blue car :)

amoparx
09-21-2011, 09:22 PM
That sure is a nice kit. I do have everything I need to do a heim joint conversion to the car. Actually a bunch of cars. I did it to one of my my GLHS's a few years ago and bought lots of extra parts. My problem is on the TI Shelby Charger, you can't pull that swivel off the stud on the tranny with the turbo in place. There's a coolant line or something blocking the thing from pulling off. Otherwise I would have had that joint fixed last night.
Again though, That's a nice kit. One of our local Shelby guys bought one at SDAC this year and put it on his '86 GLHS.

roachjuice
09-21-2011, 09:34 PM
The little swivel that's connects to ts back of the trans on mine is loose. Thinking of just tack welding it on lol

minigts
09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
The little swivel that's connects to ts back of the trans on mine is loose. Thinking of just tack welding it on lol

There's one that bolts on and then the one that is on the plate that mounts to the rear end cover. Which one are you referring to? The one on the plate I had welded a while back, assuming you're referring to this one. Just about the only fix for it, besides drilling and tapping it for a bolt. But welding it has held up nicely over the years.

roachjuice
09-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Yep that's the one. My Black car has a 555 and cables. I'm gonna keep the blue car 525 and rods. It's just gonna be a daily.

strang3majik
09-23-2011, 12:30 PM
If your talking about a quick, easy, get you by replacement for the rubber bushings...go to autozone/advance and in the help section grab a pack of the windshield wiper grommets. They're plastic, and one of them in the pack snaps perfectly on the ball and has enough spring tension in the plastic that it'll hold the rod on.

Now, don't go slamming gears and expect it to stay...but, I'll admit, I abused mine with it and its only failed me once...lol But...a great idea to get you by...keep a few in the glove box just in case.

minigts
09-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Yep that's the one. My Black car has a 555 and cables. I'm gonna keep the blue car 525 and rods. It's just gonna be a daily.

It's been about 4 years since I did my quick release heim conversion and it's still holding up strong. That was one of the best updates I did to my car. I bought all new hardware, so the total cost was about $75, but man it's held up well. I have toyed with aluminum rods to replace the steel ones, but I don't know how well they'll hold up, stress wise. Every time I try to use the die on them to thread the ends, it galls the threads. I may have to take it to a shop that can do it professionally and on center.

If your talking about a quick, easy, get you by replacement for the rubber bushings...go to autozone/advance and in the help section grab a pack of the windshield wiper grommets. They're plastic, and one of them in the pack snaps perfectly on the ball and has enough spring tension in the plastic that it'll hold the rod on.

Now, don't go slamming gears and expect it to stay...but, I'll admit, I abused mine with it and its only failed me once...lol But...a great idea to get you by...keep a few in the glove box just in case.

That's a good idea, if you're in a pinch. Never thought about the window wiper bushings before! :thumb:

amoparx
09-24-2011, 12:08 AM

Thank-You!
That was what I was looking for. I did look at the "help" stuff the other night and did think about those grommets, but figured they'd be the wrong size. I'll wait to slam gears. I may try that tomorrow after work. I wish I had read this earlier this evening. The clutch isn't getting any better in my Daytona. I need to stop driving that car before it stops me.

strang3majik
09-24-2011, 12:56 AM
No problem...had a pack sitting at my house and I thought...hmm...might just work...lol Also works for dodge ram window regulators...just dremel the tabs off and snap them in :)

But...this is the one you want to use.
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC05626.jpg

amoparx
09-24-2011, 01:20 AM
But...this is the one you want to use.

Thanks! I'll pick one up tomorrow.

amoparx
09-24-2011, 10:45 PM
I picked up those wiper grommets. They look like they'll do the trick. I epoxied one in the rod and it snaps on the ball (of an extra bracket I have off the car) with a good amount of effort. It looks like it'll work fine for a while. They give you 3 of that size grommet so I'll fix all 3 of the bad rods I have. And I'll baby my shifts until I get the car switched over to Hiems.

strang3majik
09-26-2011, 12:37 AM
If you epoxied it, it'll probably hold pretty well actually...haha.

Only time I ever had one pop out was when it was wheel hopping real bad, but, even so, the plastic grommet stayed on the ball and the rod just popped off...reattatched it, and 30 seconds later was back on my way :p

amoparx
09-26-2011, 12:54 AM
It works pretty good. I just smeared epoxy around the grommet and popped it in. Then filled in the back. It's not coming out at all. I drove all over today and it works fine. I fixed a second rod for a spare. If the grommet was just a hair tighter, I'd be willing to bet it would last a long time. I was even trying to think of some type of plastic or nylon sheet that you could put over the ball before snapping the grommet on. It would take up a little slack and be even tighter. But as long as I baby it, I'm sure I'll be fine.

And thanks again for the idea and posting a picture of what you used. I was able to find the same exact part number as soon as I walked up the the help section. I was expecting to have to go to several stores, but found it at O'Reillys. (The first place I checked)

strang3majik
09-26-2011, 12:45 PM
No problem, and glad that'll get you by. Gotta love the random things you try with the spare parts you have sitting around the house...lol

Found a box of those in the drawer and was like...you know...that just might work...hahaha.