PDA

View Full Version : BoostButton calibration changes coming...

ShelGame
09-19-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm going to implement a 'Stage' cal system for BoostButton.com

I've come to realize that 75% of the BB calibration customers could easily be covered by a 'Stage' Cal system - in fact, I've had several requests for such a cal. I seem to be swamped constantly with cal orders. A 'Stage' cal series will make things much easier for me and most customers. I'll have 5 stages, all will be posted here and on my Google site for anyone to use for free. I'll also offer them thru BoostButton.com at a lower price than the current 'custom' cal. Basically, they will be as a chip burning service. There will be no tuning on these cals outside of helping get the chip installed correctly, bad burns, etc. Of course, I will always answer any question (as best I can) about DIY tuning of these cals.

I will still offer full custom cal services, but at an increased cost, for those that are not covered by one of the 'Stage' cals. These are the cals that really take up my time anyway.

This was a hard decision as I have been proud of the fact that everything I do is custom and tailored to the customers setup. But I simply can't keep up with all the orders (a good position to be in, of course) and need a way to simplify the business. I've been putting this off for several months, but it's time.

I expect to have the cals all built up and posted next week. I haven't decided on prices yet.

roachjuice
09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Sweet. You making lm 2.5 cals as well? :D

ShelGame
09-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Sweet. You making lm 2.5 cals as well? :D

I intend to have 2.2 and 2.5, MTX and ATX covered in each ECU generation starting with '87 T2 LM. I don't have anything for the '86 and earlier or L-Body LM's and don't plan to add support for them. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the VNT 'Stage' cals. I may or may not do them.

roachjuice
09-19-2011, 01:38 PM
If you need a test dummy I'm going back with a stock Garrett. Id be more than glad to test out a cal.

turbovanmanČ
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Sad but also good news, being busy is a good thing, :nod:

ShelGame
09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Sad but also good news, being busy is a good thing, :nod:

True, but I'm busy as hell. And it's not like I'm getting rich doing this stuff (nor would I expect to). I just need to find time for other things. Like sitting down, lol...

cordes
09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
That's great to hear Rob.

Vigo
09-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I think this is a good move. Really, whatever is good for you personally is a good move regardless of financial impact to the customers, because if you burn out on it we all lose, whereas if you up some prices and stay happier, the only people who will lose are the ones who were price-shopping hard enough to be pissed about that minor price bump.

ShelGame
09-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I think this is a good move. Really, whatever is good for you personally is a good move regardless of financial impact to the customers, because if you burn out on it we all lose, whereas if you up some prices and stay happier, the only people who will lose are the ones who were price-shopping hard enough to be pissed about that minor price bump.

Well, I'm thinking the price bump for a fully custom calibration won't be so minor. But, I've also had more than 1 of the truly custom-cal customers tell me I don't charge enough.

I am getting burned out on the cals. It's the R&D part that's fun for me and I don't have time for it lately. Hopefully, this will help that out some.

Vigo
09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Im sure if you look at in the context of a truly CUSTOM tune for any other platform, the price jump could still be considered minor.. Now if you start charging $600 i might eat my words, but really.. anything much less than that and you're still selling pretty cheap compared to what stuff for a lot of other cars goes for. :p

ShelGame
09-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Im sure if you look at in the context of a truly CUSTOM tune for any other platform, the price jump could still be considered minor.. Now if you start charging $600 i might eat my words, but really.. anything much less than that and you're still selling pretty cheap compared to what stuff for a lot of other cars goes for. :p

Well, $600 would certainly reduce my volume, lol. But I don't plan to hike it that much.

2.216VTurbo
09-20-2011, 01:59 AM
True, but I'm busy as hell. And it's not like I'm getting rich doing this stuff (nor would I expect to). I just need to find time for other things. Like sitting down, lol...

Uh, how many years ago did I tell you you're not charging enough? I thought you were kidding when I heard your prices.:confused: For a job well done and a quality product, the market will bear... I sell my hardware for 2.5-3X what the low bidder stuff goes for, yep, there is a small market share that wants the lowest price no matter what, I (and now you too Rob) don't need to capture that segment of the market:amen:

shelbymonster
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
i think it may help you a lot , seriously you dont charge much for custom cals and im pretty sure its time consuming too . I remember having issues with a cal and you offered to replace it for free and i realy did want to pay it anyway , when customers got great service like that they will be back soon or later .

moparmikehunt
09-20-2011, 10:41 PM
:hail: This is EXACTLY what ive been looking for rob! I was going to use one of your old cals off your google site for my first chipping/burning a cal/learning to tune adventure. But I believe these stage cal's will much better suit my needs as a somewhat Turbo Mopar beginner,as well as many others.(not to mention they will be free!) bravo!!!!,cant wait for them! good thing im still in the planning stages of operation turbo fridge. In closing id like to say you sir are a credit to this community and we are fortunate to have individuals such as yourself.:hail::hail: Thanks.:thumb:

ShelGame
09-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Uh, how many years ago did I tell you you're not charging enough? I thought you were kidding when I heard your prices.:confused: For a job well done and a quality product, the market will bear... I sell my hardware for 2.5-3X what the low bidder stuff goes for, yep, there is a small market share that wants the lowest price no matter what, I (and now you too Rob) don't need to capture that segment of the market:amen:

And you're not the only one. Terry Ryan pointed out to me a similar guy/company for the Turbo Buicks and that guy charges $80 a chip for basically a stage cal type of deal.

I originally priced the chips at what I would be willing to pay for them if I didn't do my own. I would honestly still prefer to keep it that way, but I simply can't keep up. Full time job, 3 kids (2 in school), soccer practice, Lego League, swim lessons, etc. and then BoostButton. I have a dozen orders on my to-do list right now, and the wait is like 3-4 weeks. I don't want it to be that long. I'm sold out of pre-built hardware because I haven't had time to sit at my bench and build up modules (FourPlay, DoublePlay, Latch Boards, etc.) so everything has a wait right now. I'd prefer to be able to ship immediately or at least within days for most orders. Of course, full custom stuff will always have a wait.

RoadWarrior222
09-21-2011, 12:01 PM
I haven't had time to sit at my bench and build up modules (FourPlay, DoublePlay, Latch Boards, etc.)

Damn, I could use some indoor work with no heavy lifting, but I guess shipping them back and forth over the border wouldn't work. Otherwise, I'd talk to you about some kind of piecework deally for soldering 'em up.

roachjuice
09-21-2011, 06:39 PM
So what's gonna be the differences in all the stages? I assume some timing and boost?

cordes
09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
And you're not the only one. Terry Ryan pointed out to me a similar guy/company for the Turbo Buicks and that guy charges $80 a chip for basically a stage cal type of deal.

I originally priced the chips at what I would be willing to pay for them if I didn't do my own. I would honestly still prefer to keep it that way, but I simply can't keep up. Full time job, 3 kids (2 in school), soccer practice, Lego League, swim lessons, etc. and then BoostButton. I have a dozen orders on my to-do list right now, and the wait is like 3-4 weeks. I don't want it to be that long. I'm sold out of pre-built hardware because I haven't had time to sit at my bench and build up modules (FourPlay, DoublePlay, Latch Boards, etc.) so everything has a wait right now. I'd prefer to be able to ship immediately or at least within days for most orders. Of course, full custom stuff will always have a wait.

You need to jack prices way up if you're in that situation. You can't do it for hobby prices when it's not a fun hobby any longer.

Shadowv4l
09-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Right now I have a stage 5 FWD tune, Iv'e heard of your work and I'm interested in going the Boostbutton route. Is there a large difference or reason why this would be a good idea? I'm looking for a more street friendly tune.

moparmikehunt
09-25-2011, 09:45 PM
hey rob,just wondering how things were going with the new stage cal's? cant wait to try them out. hope all is well.

ShelGame
09-25-2011, 10:05 PM
hey rob,just wondering how things were going with the new stage cal's? cant wait to try them out. hope all is well.

Hopefully I can get them done this week and up on the site next week. I'll post them up here as soon as they're done...

moparmikehunt
09-26-2011, 01:43 AM
cool,thanks for the update. take your time my friend, i understand your a busy man. thanks again for your awesomeness.

ShelGame
09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
The first 8 of 52 stage cals are built. My eyes are watering...

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

cool,thanks for the update. take your time my friend, i understand your a busy man. thanks again for your awesomeness.

I looked really hard for a Kung Fu Panda clip, but couldn't find it - "There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness...", lol

The Pope
09-26-2011, 09:36 PM
any base cals for the SRT 4 engine? At least a spark curve to start with on a flashable SBEC?

ShelGame
09-26-2011, 11:10 PM
any base cals for the SRT 4 engine? At least a spark curve to start with on a flashable SBEC?

There've been a few SRT4 and 2.4 Cals done. I don't think I'm going to make a generic one. Not enough people using them, and the installations are all a little bit different - custom intakes, exhaust, big turbos, etc.

moparmikehunt
09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Rob=Awesome, 8 down!!!!! Keep it up man!