PDA

View Full Version : Air temp sensor interchangeable with Coolant sensor?

altered7151
07-20-2006, 04:03 PM
I need a new air temp sensor and out of curiosity looked up how much they were at napa. The picture they show is one made out of brass just like the coolant temp sensor. I remember reading a while ago that they were essentially the same sensor. So could you use the coolant sensor in place of the air sensor without any problems? The only concern I have is the brass one being slower to react to change if the brass retains heat better than the plastic.

Una
07-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah... While electrically interchangeable, they are NOT physically interchangeable.. Should always get your sensors at the dealer, parts stores ones always suck.. I usually get my charge temp sensors out of old log intake cars at the junkyard.. Two problems with the coolant is one, as you noted, the temp probe is not exposed directly to the air, so it's slow to react, if at all due to reason two.. It's brass.. It'll read the temperature of your intake manifold.. Which is often FAR warmer than the air inside of it..

bn880
07-22-2006, 08:23 AM
I agree with Una. This swap just isn't worth it.

altered7151
07-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Thats what I figured. It definitally seemed to me that the brass would get heat soaked and be slow to respond to temp differences. I went to the j-yard to go pull a couple from log cars like UNA mentioned, and must have been my lucky day as I stumbled upon a perfect shelby valvecover!

Una
07-23-2006, 01:47 AM
oooh damn! Killer score! Intercooler in that car too?

altered7151
07-23-2006, 11:11 AM
oooh damn! Killer score! Intercooler in that car too?

No it was on a piece of crap TI 87 shadow. Someone must have picked if up along the way and thought it would look good on the car, or they needed a replacement and they happened to find that one.

altered7151
07-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey UNA, are you looking for a stock intercooler? I know someone in town that has one he'd probably be willing to sell.

Una
07-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Nah, I have one.. Just know that if you scored one at a junkyard, you'd probably get a killer deal on it..

John B
07-24-2006, 06:06 AM
Cindy has the sensors and pigtails.