PDA

View Full Version : TIII TIII turbo/header location

440dart
09-14-2011, 11:52 PM
I was reading simons thread and 30psishadow meantiond a guy running a turbo down by the k-member on a 8v car so that got me thinking a lil bit as to why not do it on a tIII car i know guys have made a ton of HP on stockers but really look at it, its not the greatest flowing thing around we are all in the HP race and why not make more power sooner in the powerband and probley on less boost. We can all have the best turbo best head ect ect but if we have one cork in the system the rest dont mean squat

I was also thinking why not mount the turbo above the transmission?

What are the pros and cons of both?? i could very easily make headers for them over the trans or down by the k member???

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2011, 02:21 AM
There are no cons really, except packaging and relocating components.

IIRC, Aaron Miller had his turbo at the right front of this car.

I agree we make good power on the stock manifold but it is a pretty crappy design.

440dart
09-15-2011, 10:53 AM
What is the best material to build a header out of? and is there flanges from other makes and modles that fit the lotus head?

Pat
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Just remember that unless you are running some sort of return pump, which would add complication (ie: more stuff to fail), you need the turbo high enough to run an oil drain back to the pan.

440dart
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
is what iam thinking is to mount it just in front of the engine enough to make a decent straight shot into my oil pan

rx2mazda
09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
FWDP sells the TIII head flange. I'm not in a HP race nor am I interested in a header at this time. I am certain I can reach my current goals with stock parts. That said, it would be nice to have a header option for our motors.

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes, FWD sells flanges.

440dart
09-15-2011, 01:58 PM
after getting my 89 vnt car and seeing how much i missed the low end power iam trying to gain some of that back with my TIII as iam running a precison sc61 its not exactly the fastest spooling combo around, iam trying to get rid of all the corks i can iam shooting for 400-450whp with this car as i have factory rods. With a shat ton better flowing mani and custom intake and redo all my intercooler pipeing i hope to have a awsome flowing setup and hopefully a few 100rpm faster spooling turbo.

rx2 we all have one goal thats makeing our mills put out more HP and doing so more efficent you can still make your current HP and do so spooling faster and make more HP with less boost somebody needs to step up to the plate and do some r&d on these tIII's the 8v cars are kicking our butts in theary that isnt right hopefully i get this new job and i should practicly have unlited funds so to speak i plan on haveing a 11sec r/t and 500+whp horison in the next year or two

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

rx2 your car is pretty much my dream car but i want it black in color very sweet car by the way hope you turn the wick up and post some street vids

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2011, 02:44 PM
500 whp is easily done per say with stock manifolds and a large turbo. A header usually increases spool, especially if its a long tube style.

DOHCRT
09-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Ask Alan about mounting a turbo above the transaxle...

turbovanmanČ
09-16-2011, 12:44 PM

As in Masi Alan?

Didn't Lengel do a side mounted header?

440dart
09-16-2011, 04:30 PM

that really fills me in on a whole lot of info?????

tsiconquest88
09-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Speaking of oil drain issue. WTF do these people do when they remote mount their turbo's under the car and in the rear of the car. Personally idk wtf people do that ---- but whatever. How the heck do they drain oil back to the pan in those setups?

OmniLuvr
09-21-2011, 09:08 PM
they run an electric oil pump that sucks the oil from the turbo drain and into the pan, if that thing goes out, then so does your turbo... and alans setup is SWEET!!!

440dart
09-21-2011, 11:54 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm alannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

OmniLuvr
09-22-2011, 12:06 AM
2.216vturbo, he has the "only" half red and black factory glhs... its also got a masi motor in it :)

i think he may have some pics on here of the header, not sure?

RoadWarrior222
09-22-2011, 12:55 PM
they run an electric oil pump that sucks the oil from the turbo drain and into the pan, if that thing goes out, then so does your turbo...

Holy crap, imagine if that was something that could damage your whole motor, like by detonating lean or something, like an ELECTRIC fuel pump, noes! :eek:

turbovanmanČ
09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Holy crap, imagine if that was something that could damage your whole motor, like by detonating lean or something, like an ELECTRIC fuel pump, noes! :eek:

They are very reliable, technology has come along way, :nod:

OmniLuvr
09-22-2011, 06:38 PM
i think he was being sarcastic, but it does happen, oil can get pretty warm, espacially when its coming out of a turbo drain, heat and electricty dont always like eachother...

2.216VTurbo
09-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Sold all the Masi stuff, going TIII everything:lol: Maybe not but I do have 2 TIII cars with motors being built and finished in the next 2 weeks. AJ in PHX is rebuilding the Rampage RT and i've been reassembilng the IROC RT last few weeks after the badly cracked head took 4 months in the shop to weld reweld reweld and reweld:( Stock ported EX manifolds on both cars tho. Red GLHS header looks like this (10+ years ago still uncoated in the first pics)

RoadWarrior222
09-23-2011, 09:00 AM
^^^^ That Alan :thumb:

Yeah, I think I was being a tad on the sarcastic side... but good point about the heat, guess you could suck it through a small cooler, just to enhance longevity, but pumps built for the purpose should be reliable.

rx2mazda
09-24-2011, 11:29 AM
rx2 we all have one goal thats makeing our mills put out more HP and doing so more efficent you can still make your current HP and do so spooling faster and make more HP with less boost somebody needs to step up to the plate and do some r&d on these tIII's the 8v cars are kicking our butts in theary that isnt right hopefully i get this new job and i should practicly have unlited funds so to speak i plan on haveing a 11sec r/t and 500+whp horison in the next year or two

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

rx2 your car is pretty much my dream car but i want it black in color very sweet car by the way hope you turn the wick up and post some street vids

Was that all one sentence? wow! lol.

Again, we don't all have the same goal. Many of us in this community could care less about swapping the turbo, IC, or any other non factory part for that matter(not saying i'm one of those enthusiast). Making better spool and more hp on less boost is always a good thing though. Right now I'm very happy with my spool time, just need to get to the track and see where I'm at! I will address the header after I outgrow the ported stocker, if ever. The 8v aren't kicking our butts, we just aren't racing them! If you look at the 1/4 mile database you'll see that 7 of the top ten cars are 16V. Not many TIII cars to begin with and even less really racing like the 8V guys. I do agree that the 8V cars on this forum are badass!

Thanks for the compliments! It's turned out way better than I expected thanks to the help of folks here. Looking forward to finally racing this year.

440dart
09-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Didnt know i was being tested on grammer sorry i just dont care lol

Well i got a plan setup up with a guy that use to do R&D for chrysler he's retired old hippy looking guy that lives out in the middle of nowhere he built the headers on my friends TT427 ford proto saltflat car that makes over 2000hp. I will post pics up as i go he sounds pretty excited about it as he likes the unusual stuff like a 4door with a big turbo kept telling me about his v-4 ford in a vw bug. Hopefully from the header and intake i can drop full spool down 500rpms would definitly help to make for a wider powerband.

Directconnection
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Was that all one sentence? wow! lol.

Again, we don't all have the same goal. Many of us in this community could care less about swapping the turbo, IC, or any other non factory part for that matter(not saying i'm one of those enthusiast). Making better spool and more hp on less boost is always a good thing though. Right now I'm very happy with my spool time, just need to get to the track and see where I'm at! I will address the header after I outgrow the ported stocker, if ever. The 8v aren't kicking our butts, we just aren't racing them! If you look at the 1/4 mile database you'll see that 7 of the top ten cars are 16V. Not many TIII cars to begin with and even less really racing like the 8V guys. I do agree that the 8V cars on this forum are badass!

Thanks for the compliments! It's turned out way better than I expected thanks to the help of folks here. Looking forward to finally racing this year.

Carroll, what rpm do you see full boost at with your turbo? 3,800-4,000? About 10 psi at 3,500 perhaps?

440dart
09-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Carroll, what rpm do you see full boost at with your turbo? 3,800-4,000? About 10 psi at 3,500 perhaps?

JW but even though your 62 flows more its suppose to spool faster correct????

Directconnection
09-25-2011, 01:48 PM
JW but even though your 62 flows more its suppose to spool faster correct????

Supposed to flow more, but w/out me really comparing specs, I would bet his is more of a better match for hp and streetability. The 6262 is rated for over 700hp, but we all know that is quite more than my goal (and probably carroll's, too) Carroll probably used his brains on researching his turbo... I went with brawn.

Precision just introduced a new series of turbine wheels in which they claim about a 30-40hp advantage over their previous designs... and when I say just introduced, I see it was posted last week.

Carroll: post up some results dude! The world's best bench racer is playing an ironic role these past few months!

86seeS
09-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Love the header set up alan..... Got the gears turning in my head as im putting a tIII in the glhs

rx2mazda
09-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Carroll: post up some results dude! The world's best bench racer is playing an ironic role these past few months!

ive been posting results all week!

http://www.myomniisfasterthanyou.com

Directconnection
09-25-2011, 09:53 PM
ive been posting results all week!

http://www.myomniisfasterthanyou.com

Ah... but you never raced me and said *I* was "make believe" ;) So how can I judge?

Seriously dude... you must be holding out so you can empty your can of whoop-azz on unsuspecting 8 valvers?

440dart
09-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I think hes scared every benchracers worst nightmare is finding out the truth hahahah The car was built extremely fast but some reason the results are painstaking slow

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Directconnection;852097]Supposed to flow more, but w/out me really comparing specs, I would bet his is more of a better match for hp and streetability. The 6262 is rated for over 700hp, but we all know that is quite more than my goal (and probably carroll's, too) Carroll probably used his brains on researching his turbo... I went with brawn.

Precision just introduced a new series of turbine wheels in which they claim about a 30-40hp advantage over their previous designs... and when I say just introduced, I see it was posted last week.

Do these new wheels fit our turbos??? Does say a slight smaller turbo make more power at say 20psi then say a larger turbo at 20psi but obviously the larger turbo will out perform at higher boost levels?

30 PSI SHADOW
10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Alan, was that turbo self supporting, or did you have to brace it up? bracket on the trans?

Shadow
10-05-2011, 10:42 AM
The 8v aren't kicking our butts, we just aren't racing them! If you look at the 1/4 mile database you'll see that 7 of the top ten cars are 16V. Not many TIII cars to begin with and even less really racing like the 8V guys. I do agree that the 8V cars on this forum are badass!

Only 6 of ten now, that's almost 50/50 and If you go top 8 it's 4 and 4 ;)

rx2mazda
10-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Only 6 of ten now, that's almost 50/50 and If you go top 8 it's 4 and 4 ;)

Show off! lol

Shadow
10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Show off! lol

Giddy as charged! :p :D :nod: :eyebrows:

2.216VTurbo
10-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Alan, was that turbo self supporting, or did you have to brace it up? bracket on the trans?

Yeah, big thick brace coming off one of the trans bellhouse bolts to the bottom of the turbo.

440dart
10-06-2011, 10:08 PM

where did you see pics????

MNmopar
10-06-2011, 11:10 PM
^ page 1 of this thread brudda.

2.216VTurbo
10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
where did you see pics????

I know you PM'd me and asked me to email you some, I put them in your thread the same day;)

440dart
10-12-2011, 02:34 AM
weird for some reason they didnt show on my computer i saw them today though very sweet and very simple, man i got to many money pits now its getting cold the sled bug is biteing me harder and harder

CaptMoe
10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Just read an interview by one of the designers of the 2.2 where he said placing the turbo above the exhaust proved to be the best way to do it because of the heat. But he didn't explain further. So if you go and move the turbo, is that suppose to affect performance somehow?

RoadWarrior222
10-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah that needs qualification. Whether he meant that getting it down the back somewhere meant more heat in the intake which saps power, or just being further away saps power, both of which are true, but can be mitigated by heat wrap.

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Just read an interview by one of the designers of the 2.2 where he said placing the turbo above the exhaust proved to be the best way to do it because of the heat. But he didn't explain further. So if you go and move the turbo, is that suppose to affect performance somehow?

Turbo's need heat and pressure, so moving the turbo away from the head, causes heat to be lost, which results in slower spool etc. There are ways around it, wrapping, heat coatings and even going to a slightly smaller A/R if your really far away. Look at the turbo systems from STS, they use really small A/R's to keep the spool up.