PDA

View Full Version : Omni - dual exhaust ?

omniac
09-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Has anyone out there modified their Omni for a dual exhaust? I've always wanted a dual exhaust on the car. Has anyone used a neon type setup (1 muffler with dual tips)?

It would probably be more work that it's worth - but has anyone removed the spare tire well to get more room to modify the exhaust? I know it would require the floor to be welded and then some bracing to keep the rear body rigid - but really - in 30+ years of driving, I've only ever had 1 flat tire - and I seldom go out of town - so this seems like a possible modification that could allow a better dual exhaust setup? Besides I could just sit a spare tire in the back if I plan on going out of town.

Anyways - I'm looking for possible suggestions for those who have done a dual exhaust on their Omnis. And I guess the Chargers would have the same issues - so maybe someone with a Charger can chime in as well.

W.P._Turbocars
09-14-2011, 12:14 PM
I thought of doing the same but no muffler. Just "Y" pipe it at the back and run 2 2.5" pipes out. Cut a half moon on the passenger side to match the stock tail pipe cutout on the driver side. I did a dual setup on the Rampage but all I had to do was remove the spare tire hanger.

contraption22
09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I think the amount of work mixed with lost functionality (spare tire storage), added weight and added exhaust would prevent many people from doing this. The OE neon dual systems work without losing spare tire storage... and many srt-4 owners convert to single exit exhaust anyway.

Marcus86GLHS
09-14-2011, 06:18 PM
the entire point of driving an Omni is to retain it's stupid outward appearance while adding lots of unseen performance. fake dual exhaust on an Omni? leave that for the SRT4's and Camaros.

stargazer7467
09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
lol truth!

amx364
09-14-2011, 08:09 PM
But I have seen a dual exhaust improve a Honda CRX. By about 10 hp over the stock system. If it floats your boat, why.....
It is your car and any mistakes are

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
the entire point of driving an Omni is to retain it's stupid outward appearance while adding lots of unseen performance. fake dual exhaust on an Omni? leave that for the SRT4's and Camaros.

He didn't say fake.

Anyhow, his car, his time, let him do it. Hell, people always ask why when I drag race my van, who cares what people think.

W.P._Turbocars
09-14-2011, 09:38 PM
The way I see it, it's your car do it how you want. I thought of doing it to mine but without a muffler. I may just go side exit.

Marcus86GLHS
09-15-2011, 04:18 AM
a single pipe from the exhaust manifold to the back of the car, which then splits into two tailpipes is fake duel exhaust on any car. yes do what you want to your omni , i was only offering my slant on it all.

sy2206
09-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Sorry fellas, I'm with Marcus on this one. Dual exhaust belongs on muscle cars, and v8 trucks. 4cyl cars should not have dual exhaust. That is the one thing I hated about SRT4's, they should have put single exit exhaust on those cars from the factory.

That being said, dual tips is ok I guess. Like a DOHC neon, with the two tips coming out of one muffler, isn't too bad. If you have two tailpipes 1" apart, its one thing, but if you have two tips 3' apart, thats another. As others have said, each person is going to mod their car the way they want.

roachjuice
09-15-2011, 09:30 AM
the entire point of driving an Omni is to retain it's stupid outward appearance while adding lots of unseen performance. . exactly

mcsvt
09-15-2011, 09:38 AM
The SC I bought a bit over a year ago has a "dual exhaust". 1 muffler and 2 exits in the back on each side of the back bumper. I don't mind it, the tips are a bit worn, but it could look decent. Can take pictures if you are interested.

W.P._Turbocars
09-15-2011, 11:12 AM
The SC I bought a bit over a year ago has a "dual exhaust". 1 muffler and 2 exits in the back on each side of the back bumper. I don't mind it, the tips are a bit worn, but it could look decent. Can take pictures if you are interested.

Post it up! :thumb: lol

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Post it up! :thumb: lol

+2, :nod:

mcsvt
09-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Here are some pictures from the garage (found 1 from when I bought the car and it still moved under it's own power :)).

I was wrong, it's actually got 2 mufflers, had a decent exhaust note if I remember right.

W.P._Turbocars
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
In all honesty I like it. Think it would look better if it was just 2.5" round pipe on the ends with no tips but that's about it. :thumb:

thedon809
09-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I remember seeing duals on a 1st gen daytona and it looked really good. Not sure on an omni though.

2.216VTurbo
09-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Here's some awesomly awesomenesss from the J-yard a few years back. Yep, it *was a Shelby(DC/Cal-Look) Rampage:(

omniac
09-18-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm glad this is generating some response. No, it won't appeal to some members - others are open to the idea. I was just looking for some who may have done it and your experiences with it. Others modify their car in many ways I wouldn't consider doing to my car (aftermarket wheels, stripe kits, aero kits, umteenth gauges throughout, swapping seats from other models, crazy paint schemes, etc. - to each their own.

If someone has a photo of this done to their omni I'd love to see it

Big_P
09-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I think it's great idea, myself.

Orangetona
09-22-2011, 11:12 PM
I quite like the look of the Charger. It looks pretty awesome with duals.

I feel like an Omni wouldnt though. Like everyone else said though...its your car. I have no problem with that considering its done correctly and isnt a hack lol.

strang3majik
09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
I've considered doing it to mine, and I just might when I go to paint it. But, if I do it, I'm going to notch the rear roll pan like the passengers side and just have two, like stock, turndowns. Nothing exotic...just a nice subtle change.

Then again, I'm making my car kinda old school looking being I'm using a Holley carb and all...lol So, I'm going for a different overall look once its done.

I think its a good idea though, and, I also think there would be plenty of room behind the spare tire to do it without cutting anything.

I did dual exits on my Conquest...it was a 4 cylinder, but looked sexy :)