PDA

View Full Version : Welded Diff pictures

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Along with welding the gears I also welded the diff pin to the side gears to keep the pin from moving out.

yogurt_slinger
01-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Cliff, I assume you *stick* welded that? I will be taking a stick welding class soon at my apprenticeship school, what kind of stick did you use.

Thanks
Bryan

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Nice Cliff. Have you done this before? how do you get back into pit lane? the turning radius must be half a mile, lol!

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Nope, done with a Miller wire feed MIG welder. Nice and clean with almost no splatter.

Cliff, I assume you *stick* welded that? I will be taking a stick welding class soon at my apprenticeship school, what kind of stick did you use.

Thanks
Bryan

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Not in my cars but one of the race cars I did, and know about, doesn't have a problem. Just heads for the last turn out at the end of the track and he said it's a little jerky but with the slicks it slides around just fine.

Nice Cliff. Have you done this before? how do you get back into pit lane? the turning radius must be half a mile, lol!

Clay
01-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Nope, done with a Miller wire feed MIG welder. Nice and clean with almost no splatter.

I was going to say that looks like a wire feed weld if Ive ever seen one!

cordes
01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the pics. This would be a pretty good pictoral for someone looking for a cheap way to get both tires spinning at the same time.

Moparbishi
01-04-2006, 09:46 PM
/\ and not be able to turn

cordes
01-04-2006, 10:10 PM
/\ and not be able to turn

True, I should have stated that it would be for the race only folks.

86lance
01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
well if theyre not gona spin at different speeds the only thing ur hurting would be tires when making charp turns and possible snapping an axle. How would it be on gentle turns like in everyday driving.....Say the occasional weekend warrior?

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
well if theyre not gona spin at different speeds the only thing ur hurting would be tires when making charp turns and possible snapping an axle. How would it be on gentle turns like in everyday driving.....Say the occasional weekend warrior?

You can't do it on a daily driver, even slight turns it will bind.

cordes
01-12-2006, 12:57 PM
You can't do it on a daily driver, even slight turns it will bind.

+1 any kind of curve in the road would be potential disaster at speed.

DanC
01-12-2006, 01:05 PM
I recall a while back someone (might have been Gary D.) welded the diff in a FWD TD, made one pass down the track, scared the sh*t out of himself, put the car on a trailer, and changed out the diff before making another pass.

briceturbosports
01-12-2006, 02:11 PM
top fuel has one in his car for six years now. it is hard on the edge of the slicks. they get choppy. and yes it is a pain in the azz to push and turn :nod: