PDA

View Full Version : leak. either a HUGE issue or a small one.. not sure

Sundance 6g72
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Im leaking something from what looks to be my motor. it was dripping off from under the dizzy and under the crank pully.

at first i got really upset and thought it was coolant, turns out its not. the coolant system was HOT because i just got done driving in the hot sun for about 30min. I felt the fluid and it was not hot at all.. not even close. It had a slight brownish to it but was still clearish. thought it was brake fluid but it was not. Not oil either.

i should still be able to make the trip to Ed's place later today due to it not being oil or water but wth!

i checked the timing belt to be safe.. it was not wet at all and with the car running you dont see any water jumping around in the timing belt area. I love the flipped plenum but it gets in the way to much.. id switch it back if i wasnt going boost.

Sundance 6g72
09-09-2011, 01:38 PM
dammit deff coolant... ----

its not alot.. i didnt have to add any coolant really to get the system completely full...

Sundance 6g72
09-09-2011, 04:17 PM
looks like i will be taking the stratus now! Big releif!

Ondonti
09-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Eh, my Spirit is leaking bad around the distributor. I think I should have Used sealant on the mating surface between the distributor and the head. I think I NEVER put sealant there and now I am realizing thats a bad idea. I can't imagine its the cam seal which is a replacement.
It leaks a lot and makes a huge mess. My axle seals both leak and they were replaced last year. Pisses me off since the OEM style seals in my Duster seal well and have had the axles out 20+ times. Cheaps seals in my Spirit that a trans shop gave me.

Sundance 6g72
09-10-2011, 09:19 PM
it was trying to trick me when it was dripping out from under the dizzy

the rest of the time was the crank pully area. i dont have my car.. dad does but when i get back ill pull the pump off and seal it up this time and see what happens.

Sundance 6g72
09-18-2011, 01:22 PM
update,

tore the car apart, the leak seems to be in one of the corners of the water pump.. its a smallll leak just a drip every once and a while

i had everything removed so i could see the belt and i started the car and let it warm up a little, then i reved it pretty high and i watched the water works begin, that made it easy to find. now i just need to wait for the coolant to get cold so i can drain it...

87turbodance
09-18-2011, 03:40 PM
That sucks. Use some gasket make on reassembly and use thread dealer on the mounting bolts.

Sundance 6g72
09-18-2011, 04:14 PM
yeah i made sure to do that

i had a hell of a time getting it back on.. had to unbolt the crossover coolant pipe from the other side so i could mount the pump.. then i rebolted the crossover back on... so my question is, will the coolant pipe not bolt back on unless it inserts into the water pump? my intake is still on and plenum flipped so i cant do a visual check

im about to time the car and start it to verify

Sundance 6g72
09-18-2011, 05:34 PM
WTF!! what is the deal with the little bypass area on the water pump? it just dumps water out in little drips.

the pump is sealed but there is a little channel that lets water just come on through