PDA

View Full Version : In the next few weeks...

glhs727
09-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I have two elderly partents. My father 89 has renal failure and was given 2 weeks to live this past January when his kidney function dropped to 8%. He is still hanging in there but for the most part is confined to a wheel chair and has limited mobility. He has been in home hospice care with most of his care done by my mother who is 88. She was an RN, and worked in ICU so she has been great. Tuesday she fell at the bank and broke her hip. Leaving my father w/o care and looking at 3-6 months of rehab. I have been at the hospital all week and playing tag team with my brothers to make sure my dad is watched and that he can get to and from the hospital and making sure my mother is OK too. I know a lot of people have called the shop. My crew has been fielding calls and forwarding them to me but I have been lucky to return even 20% of them. Over the next few weeks while my mother is in the hospital and my siblings and I put in place caregiving for both of them, I may be hard to reached. For easy questions, feel free to call the shop or text me at 281-642-3878. For more involved questions, and issues, call the shop. I will get your message but it may be a day or 2 for me to return your calls and it may be in the evenings after hours. I appreciate everyones patience while my family works through this.
Thanks,
Cindy

turbovanmanČ
09-08-2011, 11:01 PM
So sorry to hear that Cindy, :(

BadAssPerformance
09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry to hear, good luck with everything!

black86glhs
09-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Cindy, I think I speak for most here when I say, "you get your and your families affairs in order. Let us know when you are not as busy. We will be here hoping for the best."

Badger
09-09-2011, 03:27 AM
sorry to hear about this =(

looneytuner
09-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Cindy, I think I speak for most here when I say, "you get your and your families affairs in order. Let us know when you are not as busy. We will be here hoping for the best."

I second that.

4 l-bodies
09-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Cindy,
I have almost same issues going on with elderly aunt and uncle that used to be my next door neighbors. Both their children died so me and wife are now like their children. Long slow process recovering from broken/fractured pelvis/hip. In my aunts case the pain meds and drug interaction have caused huge confusion problems which are far worse than dealing with the fractured hip. Her husband who has Alzheimer's tries to straighten her out, that is how bad she is at the moment! So watch the narcotics they are giving your mother for painkillers. Good luck to you and your family. You're in our prayers.
Todd

sdac guy
09-13-2011, 08:01 PM
So sorry to hear of this Cindy. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Barry

glhs727
09-29-2011, 12:24 AM
an update. right after breaking her hip, my mom underwent surgery to insert a rod. She came through surgery fine. Over the last 3 weeks at the hospital she has been doing physical therapy. She can get in and out of bed by herself, stand for short periods of time, get in and out of a car and walk 200 ft. all with the aid of a walker. I'm really happy with how well her recovery has gone. She is 88 years old and is 5ft. 85 lbs, so the fact that she broke her hip and now has mobility is a plus. A lot of old people break their hip and they never get better, just go off to a nursing and die a short time later. She is coming home from the hospital tomorrow. We have made some modifications at home for her, but since my dad was already in home hospice, a lot was already done. This ordeal has also helped my father. He was so weak and dependant on my mother these last few months, but since the accident he has been getting out/in bed. cooking for himself, and has been out every day to travel to the hospital to see mom. He even asked if it would be OK to go down to the DMV and renew his license in his wheelchair LOL!! I told him "no way!" and even if they did give him his license, we wouldn't let him drive!! My 2 brothers and I have been tag teaming to watch my dad, and get him to/from the hospital, and do chores at their house. Another brother is down for a week to help and when he leaves, my sister comes for 3 weeks, and when she leaves, another brother flys in for a week. I have been very fortunate to have a big family. Although my parents will need medical care for the remainder of their lives, I feel good that they can stay in their own home for the near future, and not have to go to a nursing home.
Thanks for all the well wishes! I do appreciate it. I will continue to have to leave work early a couple of times a week to help out, but I can usually be reached by phone if needed.
Thanks
Cindy

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2011, 12:41 AM
That's awesome to hear, :nod: