PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 + Drag Week + pictures and updates :D

Sundance 6g72
09-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Im going to use this thread to post updates of our progress at drag week in a few days! I have my moms cannon camera and as far as i know its decent enough to get some videos of Ed's shadow screaming down the track

What do you guys think the car will run on ave?

heres a mod list (if i can remember them all correctly)

MS II
Custom twin plenums
dual 80mm Throttle Bodys
Powered Heads
Crower Regrinds
Light flywheel (not alum)
Custom Half header
3inch exhaust
no major weight reduction
street tires
a543 trans
VE table seeing values as high as 104 ! !

bond_bbs
09-08-2011, 11:47 PM
17.5 :P

Just ball busting - I hope this thing runs fantastic for you guys, and blows the expectations of some onlookers right out of the water! Represent the NA Pbodies!

turbovanmanČ
09-09-2011, 03:26 AM
I'll say high 13's, low 14's.

Subscribed.

Ondonti
09-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Well I don't know that Ed has a lot of passes under his belt and not sure about the tune.

I would think the trap speed would be very good if the tune was on. 100mph capable.

Sundance 6g72
09-10-2011, 09:22 PM
we made it to Topeka ks!!! but not without issues

lots of rain, TPS sensor went out momentarily on the truck, we forgot a laptop and we dont have the cable for my camera to upload pictures. Not to worry, we used my laptop and confirmed that it works with Ed's megasquirt and the car is running great. we also fixed (so we think) the wideband issue by updating the firmware (LC -1 2.0 beta firmware, you need to do a bit of looking to find it)

tomorrow im going to try and buy a usb cable for the camera so i can get you guys some good picture and videos!

Vigo
09-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Yeh, pictures are important. Good luck out there!

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Good to hear.

What does the LC1 update do? Link? :eyebrows:

Sundance 6g72
09-11-2011, 07:33 PM
i meant lc 1 firmware 1.20! not 2.0

it fixed the gauge from dropping out and giving us a huge rich spike

pics in a second.. ill have more as days go on.

Sundance 6g72
09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
www.photobucket.com/dragweek6g72 is the url pics are being uploaded to as we speak

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2011, 11:32 PM
i meant lc 1 firmware 1.20! not 2.0

it fixed the gauge from dropping out and giving us a huge rich spike

pics in a second.. ill have more as days go on.

So is that old firmware? or brand new release?

Ondonti
09-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Saw those on facebook. Ed is non longer flying under the radar.

87turbodance
09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I like the front half header.

moparman76_69
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
So what is he running?

Sundance 6g72
09-12-2011, 10:31 PM
all the runs are no good. should be low 14s easily but without slicks its tough. every run got better though. we went from a 16 to a 15.3...... car did make 170hp to the wheels (i made 147 and 15.3 is where i should be!) but not sure if slicks are needed

i know the record is at 14.2 but that is with less mods plus he had slicks. car is running 90mph though. i think the best 60' was 2.2 it was much worse.

right now we have an issue though. seems like the car runs VERY lean and starts bucking (afr goes from 18:1 - 21:1) and then it dies. this happend twice in hot temperatures and a long drive. we havnt had it happen sense though... we need help making sense of the data log.

shouldnt be to hard to find where the issue happens.... it goes lean and stays lean. the lean spikes earlier in the log might be when the throttle is lifted. when it goes super lean we kind of jumped on and off the gas so that will explain the tps going up and down. not sure if its fuel or ign related and its hard to tell when he problem just disappears..

if someone could take a look and give some input!

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20771183/very+lean.msl

Vigo
09-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge with you? Worst case, somebody out of that whole bunch of racers probably does. I have had multiple instances of the pump strainer pulling enough silty debris up against it to choke the pump and become a lean problem. When the car sits, some of it falls back off, and then when driving again it sucks it back up. The same thing can happen with oil pickups and trans filters in motors and trannies.

Just an idea.

I dont know how to view the log.

turbovanmanČ
09-13-2011, 02:47 AM
Sounds like you had fun, too bad it didn't run as planned. Do they ever? :(

Ondonti
09-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Confused. Is this happening when racing or when cruising around.

90mph is not good.
I did 88 on an almost stock 3.0 with a604, ported plenum and spacers, exhaust cut off after cat, 52mm tb and CAI and new magnacore wires. That was only a 15.48 E.T., so if you went 15.3 on a manual trans that is harder to ET vs MPH, then something is going wrong.

Sundance 6g72
09-13-2011, 08:17 AM
we have a fuel pressure gauge but it reads fine.. the question is, does it read fine when the problem comes back

every race went fine.. just slower than it should be. It only happend twice and that was when cruising and when we had it idle it still was crazy lean and then died. its hard to make the problem come back though...

we are looking into the fuel pump and fuel filter.

Ondonti
09-13-2011, 09:16 AM
tell ED to stop running 31 degrees. Run 40 or more degrees total. He already proved on the dyno that an OEM style 3.0 makes more power when you go from 38 degrees to 41 degrees (+3 degrees base). Now, why is he running 10 degrees less. My cars are always turds when I do that. He is so far down on power.
He needs 12.5-13.0:1 AFR and lots of timing.

One thing I have never had trouble with is running fast when I want to, even when I bring a knife to a gun fight.
One question I have is what gear are you guys ending in. If you rev to 7000 you don't need 4th gear. Are you short shifting and killing power, or running out of power in 3rd...I am thinking you need 4th because I bet you have tiny 50 series tires on there also.

87turbodance
09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
I see AFRs in that log mostly range from 16-20:1. Seems very strange. I'm wondering if your info from the wideband is wrong.

Shadow24
09-13-2011, 12:11 PM
A couple suggestions: did you do a free air calibration on the lc1 after the firmware update? the update probably wiped out the sensor calibration and is resuling on an incorrect A/F signal. This can cause the MS to overcompensate with more fuel causing rich misfiring even though the gauge is reading lean

As for shifting, run out 3rd. I dropped like 2 tenths or more when stopped shifting to 4th. I only hit about 6800rpms or so with 205/55R15 tires and clear the traps aat almost 95mph (best et was a 14.308 on 24.5x8.5 slicks at 94-ish mph)

Sundance 6g72
09-13-2011, 11:17 PM
we dont have slicks, and you say you should have 200whp? we might have a little less but should still hit 14s...

tell ED to stop running 31 degrees. Run 40 or more degrees total. He already proved on the dyno that an OEM style 3.0 makes more power when you go from 38 degrees to 41 degrees (+3 degrees base). Now, why is he running 10 degrees less. My cars are always turds when I do that. He is so far down on power.
He needs 12.5-13.0:1 AFR and lots of timing.

One thing I have never had trouble with is running fast when I want to, even when I bring a knife to a gun fight.
One question I have is what gear are you guys ending in. If you rev to 7000 you don't need 4th gear. Are you short shifting and killing power, or running out of power in 3rd...I am thinking you need 4th because I bet you have tiny 50 series tires on there also.

we are running more than 31* I think it was at 44 total but we lowerd it to 38? and it kept the same speed? idk.

ryan, the log is mainly cruise.. he likes it at 16 when cruising and when he lifts off throttle it will go to 21 for a second. We found the problem, after hours of driving in the heat the fuel pump dies out and fuel pressure drops to 10psi or so. we have a new pump but wont know how it holds until the long drive tomorrow

ed dynod this car at around 170whp i think... thats 20 more than my car and im told i should be able to run a 15.3 I dont know whats going on.

the data logs of the track runs seem to go like this

1st gear, afr spikes alot.. rich lean rich lean but then 2nd gear holds pretty good and 3rd gear is rather steady as well. is the dizzy output having a hard time with 1st gear RPMs increasing very fast? also, we run 3rd gear all the way, no 4th gear.

Pat
09-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Good luck out there...sounds like you're onto the issue with the fuel pump.

If you see the guy from PA with the '51 Henry J in the Gasser class, his name is Andy Nelson. Great guy and fellow GRM Challenger. Wish him luck for me.

Pat

87turbodance
09-13-2011, 11:49 PM
In the log I see tps based accel enrichment when there is no change in the TPS position. This is causing changes in AFR while driving at a steady load. That shouldn't happen.

Ondonti
09-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Confirmation on the LC1 calibration? Something is wrong. Hope the cam timing and all the basics are correct.
While general driving is time consuming to tune, WOT is really not a lot of work to get tuned when everything is working properly.

I don't see how a fuel pump in that kinda condition can really be providing the good AFR numbers you claim in your logs. I don't really want to look at your cruise logs. I would maybe install the software if you had a racing datalog up.

Shadow24
09-14-2011, 06:29 AM
In the log I see tps based accel enrichment when there is no change in the TPS position. This is causing changes in AFR while driving at a steady load. That shouldn't happen. I second this. If you are tripping accel enrich at WOT in 1st and some in 2nd, you may need to look at the TPS settings. you may be getting noise on the signal input to the MS or there is noise/voltage on the ground plane causing the appearance of TPS change to trigger the accel enrich. Also consider, if you are using MAP/TPS blended for accel enrich, if you are getting spikes/dips in your MAP reading at WOT, that can trigger accel enrich if the thresholds on either are too low

Sundance 6g72
09-14-2011, 07:26 AM
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20774946/DataLogs.zip

i uploaded both passes from yesterday. 1st gear looks way messed up compared to 2nd and 3rd

we are recalibrating and i think switching over to map based accel

Ondonti
09-14-2011, 07:41 AM
I don't think accell enrichment has anything to do with your problems. You don't need it, its a drivability thing. You have something more serious wrong then the enrichment settings.

87turbodance
09-14-2011, 09:02 AM
At WOT at 2500 RPMs the PWs are jumping from 9 to 12 ms while holding a steady load. These pw spikes appear to be TPS based accel enrichment. That's going to slow you down.

Sundance 6g72
09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
we switched to 25% tps based.. not sure if it helped, ill push for him to do 0% tps based and all map based

anyways, i had ed let me push his timing. IT goes like this

100kpa 17 19 28 30 32 38 42 46 48 50
90kpa 17 19 28 30 32 and so on

rpm 800 1000 1800 2000 2500 3500 4000 5000 6200 7500

the way we did it was like this

we looked at a log and found that rpms got a little erratic when the ignition flatlines. we increased ignition timing at those rpms and then the rpm curve in the log got smoother. we kept going until the curve got pretty damn smooth. for all i know, we could have 4000rpms have 48* and 7500 max out at 56 but we stopped at 50*now the

afr is still not holding 12.5 at wot. (usually spikes very lean once and then it holds in the high 11s and low 12s with one or two 13:1 on ave) Maybe its from the 25% tps based accel? Not sure.

as for the race tomorrow, the plan is to shift at 7500 rpms because you can actually feel the power go until about 7000rpms. we were shifting at 6800 with the old timing but now it feels better to push the Rs a little higher.

today with the bad elevation in texas everyone ave. a drop of .6 so we ran a 16 and 15.9 which was about right compared to 15.3 at good elevation. HE was getting 100kpa in kansas but today in texas we could not get 90kpa.. now in Oklahoma we are getting 98kpa ave so it should run at least a 15.3 with a 2.2 second '60 or better considering the somewhat smoother AFR and the better timing and shift rpm.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

we are also confident that the new fuel pump fixed the random leaning out and losing fuel pressure after driving for long amounts. today we had no issues and it was the longest drive yet.

Vigo
09-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Well i guess i was on track with it being a fuel supply problem, but i overcomplicated it a little bit.. :p Glad to hear you are chipping away at the issues. Good luck.

Ondonti
09-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Hey guys, I looked at the datalogs. I think you should completely turn off accell enrichment and datalog.

Compared to a 1-4 run of mine, your lines all look very very very choppy. I also noticed your timing error % (not exactly sure what that is beyond the obvious) is huge. Yours is constantly + or - 12%
Mine is + or - 3" at MOST and it doesn't bounce around as bad. When I had traction it only got to 2.5% at most.

My AFR lines are just dead flat, so are my PW.
Not sure if you have bad grounds or an unhappy distributor or sick megasquirt. I did notice that you are running a lot more dwell then me, I think I need more.

I was goign to complain that your timing was conservative and your afr's were low, until I looked at my own old datalog and saw how terrible some of your fueling lines are, and then that timing error %.

Sundance 6g72
09-15-2011, 08:21 AM
are you saying to go do some logs with no enrichment and keep it that way until we do some passes and see if that helps? I really think the new timing was needed. you can see where the rpm data sort of falls on its self with the low timing but once we got aggressive with the timing the rpm curve smoothed out and was a real curve without alot of the choppyness. AFR also ave in the 12s now but its not consistent what so ever. the tps accel might be to blame, it cant be easy to set up twin 80s. we changed to 0% tps based (100% map based now) but have not tried it yet...

its up to ed on turning accel off, i have no clue how to set that up

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

i think the timing inconsistency was caused by insufficient timing! we are looking at the logs from when we ran with alot of timing and we did not ave +- 12 anymore.. it was less. we are going to run with even more timing and see if it has an effect.

if you also look at the timing err.. the low end (3500rpms and less) the err is higher but this is also where we did not get aggressive with the timing for 2 reasons. 1, Ed already rips the street tires apart so more is not better and 2 because when racing, his shifts land around 5000rpms so we dont have any real loss doing that.

we will also experiment with the accell turned off.

87turbodance
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
If you have some downtime where you can do a little bit of tuning, I suggest you flash MS to the latest firmware. You appear to be getting TPS based accel when I can't see a reason why you should be in the log. Here is the latest MS2 firmware 3.1.1: http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/files/release/ms2extra_3.1.1_release.zip. I believe Ed is running MS2 2.1?

Also, if you have the tools, soldering a capacitor in the position where the boot jumper normally goes on the MS board does an excellent job of filtering some of the electrical noise that enter MS. This really help clean up logs and stabilize sensor readings. Noise in MS can cause all sorts of irritating problems. MS2 seems to really dislike any noise on MS's +12V line. I use a 47uF 50v ceramic capacitor in mine. Also, does ED have any shielding on the signal wire coming from distributor pickup? The harness has some shielding stock, but I found that the shield wire had broken off where it is attached to the distributor housing on my car.

I'd get rid of TPS based accel enrichment and use just map based accel with those huge TBs.

I would think you would get a bog when you shift if accel enrichment is turned off; unless you're flat shifting.

Sundance 6g72
09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
we tried all map accel and no accell.. no joy

ed is reading this so ill let him decide on the capacitor.

runs today where no good either.. MPH stayed about the same too.. im not sure whats going on. still getting random spikes in the AFR table.. is that really enough to take a 1second - 1.5seconds out of a run? we should run 14.5 on a good run imo

i think ed shifts softer than most but its not slow by any means.. im out of thoughts, tomorrow is the last day to hit the strip so i guess 15s is all we can get as of now.

Sundance 6g72
09-15-2011, 09:46 PM
what is timing err? also, i think ed is going to go verify the shielding for the dizzy wire

Aries_Turbo
09-15-2011, 10:41 PM
normal MS questions...

power feeds for ignition and injection drivers separate from the main MS power feed?

the MPH does seem a bit low. I did 15.7 @ 87mph with a stock 3.0L and a caravan 604 in a reliant on crap tires with a crap hot air intake and a glasspack for a muffler leaving it in drive and having the TCM shift early into 4th.

Brian

Sundance 6g72
09-15-2011, 10:43 PM
each run was 88-90mph if i remember right.

the wiring diagram says to put the power wire for the dizzy to the same power source as megasquirt. not sure on injector drivers though.

c2xejk
09-15-2011, 10:54 PM
normal MS questions...

power feeds for ignition and injection drivers separate from the main MS power feed?

Not sure I understand the question, but I followed what 87turbodznce has posted on how to wire it up.

Checked the shielding for the wiring on the distributor side of the connector. It ohms out to ground...

Aries_Turbo
09-15-2011, 10:55 PM
injector drivers and coil/coilpack ignition drivers shouldnt be fed from the MS mainboard but from an external source like a main power relay or something like that.

if you feed them from the MS board, the noise from the injectors and coil firing, mess up synch signals and give resets and other goofy stuff.

brian

Ondonti
09-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Yes, please keep the power wires clean. I have a fuse distribution block that feeds power to each thing separately. Nothing in my Duster that is important shares any sort of power feed.
Also, make sure the Wideband is grounded to the exact same spot as MS. I also use a grounding block for all my MS wires/sensors, etc. Everything grounds to the same block an I put the wideband and MS in the same hole in the grounding block. I had bad problems when they were grounded in very different spots. MS and the wideband were not reading the same afr.

I was only asking to check with no accell enrichment as a troubleshooting technique. I didn't think there was a problem with accell enrich so this proves that.

Sundance 6g72
09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
you sure about grounding everything to the same spot? i might have the wideband issue too

one of my sensor grounds for the MS goes straight to the wideband ground wire.... and thats it. its not in the same spot as everything else. So in a perfect world, would we have all 6 MS ground wires at one spot combined with all the ground wires from everything else? i guess that does make the most sense and ill probably rewire my car when i get time.

my wideband seems to get an offset reading as well

87turbodance
09-16-2011, 08:57 AM
The injector drivers are mounted inside the MS case and normally sink (ground) the fuel injectors to open them. The injector drivers sink to the power ground plane on the MS board and ED is using high-z injectors to fly-back noise will be minimal.

I believe that ED has wired MS into his car utilizing the stock ASD relay and existing wiring. This will keep the power feed for MS and the power feeds for the Injectors, Coil, Fuel pump and O2 heater on a separate circuit.

Some people make some changes inside the MS case to bring out the flyback 12V return wires, for the injector drivers, on separate wires to reduce noise in the MS case but that is typically only required with low-z injectors.

Only thing I don't know, is if ED is powering MS directly through a relay right off the battery. This doesn't seem to be a requirement in our cars but can reduce electrical noise considerably for MS.

In my experience, installing the capacitor in the MS board, does an excellent job of cleaning up the noise that MS sees. The boot jumper wiring on the MS board has a design fault in that it creates an easy path for electrical noise to reach the processor.

Anyway, I recommend installing a capacitor in the boot jumper holes and flashing to the newest firmware along with using MAPdot accel enrichment.

My old 2.2 t1 (log) Sundance with MS had a best time of 16.2 at 88 MPH with bald tires and massive wheel hop. I expect more from Ed's 3.0.

I'm taking my Spirit to the track tonight so see what it can do. No wideband though so the tune is rough.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Here is Innovate info for the LC1:

a. Red 12V supply
b. Blue Heater Ground
c. White System Ground
d. Yellow Analog out 1
e. Brown Analog out 2
f. Green Analog Ground
g. Black Calibration wire

I don't have one but my believe is that the analog ground should be connected to the MS sensor ground and the other grounds should be connected to the same main ground as MS.

Some LC1s don't have the green analog ground. In this case I would ground all the LC1 wires in the same place as the MS main grounds. Should be near the battery.

Sundance 6g72
09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
injector drivers and coil/coilpack ignition drivers shouldnt be fed from the MS mainboard but from an external source like a main power relay or something like that.

if you feed them from the MS board, the noise from the injectors and coil firing, mess up synch signals and give resets and other goofy stuff.

brian

are you talking about having different relays powering the injectors and coil? from the diagram it looks like the injectors are powerd by the same relay as power to MS.. and if ED used this same relay for the coil this could be causing some noise?

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

ryan, we just read your post. not sure what ed is thinking but hes going to pick up some wire and i think re ground some things

in the mean time im going to make my own diagram of how im going to wire my car...... just so i know i have it right

more pics on facebook. if someone wants to see them just go and add me. id put more on photobucet but it does not like our internet for whatever reason

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=534573898

87turbodance
09-16-2011, 09:23 AM
are you talking about having different relays powering the injectors and coil? from the diagram it looks like the injectors are powerd by the same relay as power to MS.. and if ED used this same relay for the coil this could be causing some noise?

MS should be powered by it's own separate relay right off the battery or from the ignition switch. The injectors, coil, fuel pump, ect, should be powered off their own relay with the fuel pump optionally power though it's own relay triggered by the injectors, coil, ect relay. Early chrysler cars use the first scheme where the fuel pump is power with the same relay as the injectors, coil, o2 heater. Later chryslers have the injectors and coil on one relay with the fuel pump and o2 heater on an other relay that is triggered by the first relay.

I looked at the logs that post mos recently. There are a few funny spikes in the PW but overall it is pretty smooth. Any chance I could have a copy of Ed's tune that he has been using. The only one I have shows he is only using like 31 degrees of timing ay WOT.

Is ED using the AFR target table while doing these runs? I was wondering if turning it off might clean up the PW spikes and then the VE table can be tuned after each run using megalogviewer.

Sundance 6g72
09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
we are tuning with megalog viewer only... ill upload his tune 1 second

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

it wont let me upload on this connection............

87turbodance
09-16-2011, 09:52 AM
no worries. I have some C# programming I should be doing anyway

Sundance 6g72
09-16-2011, 10:16 AM
what if i did my grounds like this

left side of engine bay

CTS, IAT,TP, DIZZY grounded to passenger side shock tower or similar location.
MS pin 17 and 18 run all the way to passenger side shock tower (same spot as the sensor's ground wires)

then i run a 4gauge wire from the same spot as those wires all the way to the ground block on the driver's side.

my wideband ground would go to the ground block
pin 19 would also go to the ground block.

pin 7 8 9 (MS ground) would go to this ground block as well

then the ground block would be connected to the NEG battery terminal by a 4gauge wire.

now the question is, the main relay and fuel pump are the only grounds left to deal with.. can i ground them to the chassis or should i run them to the ground block?

87turbodance
09-16-2011, 10:37 AM
what if i did my grounds like this

left side of engine bay

CTS, IAT,TP, DIZZY grounded to passenger side shock tower or similar location.
MS pin 17 and 18 run all the way to passenger side shock tower (same spot as the sensor's ground wires)

then i run a 4gauge wire from the same spot as those wires all the way to the ground block on the driver's side.

my wideband ground would go to the ground block
pin 19 would also go to the ground block.

pin 7 8 9 (MS ground) would go to this ground block as well

then the ground block would be connected to the NEG battery terminal by a 4gauge wire.

now the question is, the main relay and fuel pump are the only grounds left to deal with.. can i ground them to the chassis or should i run them to the ground block?

Connect all sensor grounds directly to MS Sensor ground wires. Do not connect MS sensor ground wires to any part of the engine or engine bay or you will get ground loops (bad).
Have one central spot for power grounds (like LC1 power ground and MS wires 7,8 and 9) like the ground block you mentioned but only have ONE ground block near the battery.

Connect fuel pump and other things to the main power ground as well. Keep the main power ground near the battery.

A car stereo noise filter inline with the MS power feed is recommended by the MS folks if you are having noise issues.

There are tons and tons of discussion on the Ms board related to electrical noise. The answers always given are the things I've mentioned.

Sundance 6g72
09-16-2011, 10:56 AM
okay so that might be our issue

we are going to run pin 17 to the ground for TPS and IAT. (they are on the driver side)

we will then run pin 18 and 19 to the other sensor grounds. (dizzy, cts, wideband,)

right now they are grounded to the chassis so that might be the problem.. we will make sure the grounds go to pin 17 18 19 only and nowhere else and see if that helps

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

pin 7 8 9 will go to the battery

RoadWarrior222
09-16-2011, 11:07 AM
And rebuild it into an Altoids tin, they have near legendary electronics screening and protection abilities! :D

Sundance 6g72
09-16-2011, 12:18 PM
pin 7 8 9 are now run to the battery... before they where at the chasis.

pin 17 18 19 are now removed from the chassis and are only connected to sensor ground wires

we have the tps, iat on one sensor ground, we have the dizzy on one sensor ground and now we have the cts on its own ground and the wideband will be grounded with it.

long story short, the grounding was completely wrong and hopefully this fixes things.

Ondonti
09-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I am not following everything you are doing there but make sure the wideband is grounded to the same spot that the MS board is grounded to. Everything MS related should be grounded to the same spot. Wideband and anything runing the motor is "ms" relate
Noise is one problem I never had. I also did not splice power wires, I ran distribution blocks with a fuse for each item that needed power. Only

My myself, I am hoping my AIS problem is a wiring problem like you are having.

Just looking at your earthquake logs shows why the car is down on power. When my Duster starts up after 6 months of sitting with 1+ year old Ethanol in the tank I know MS can't be that bad.

Sundance 6g72
09-17-2011, 08:05 AM
ill upload a new log later. we got it to run alot better but not by much in the 1/4mile.

not sure if your MS pinout is the same as ours.

pin 17 18 19 are sensor ground.. we ran all the sensor's ground wires to those pins... not sure about the wideband, the lc1 confused us and i left that up to ed to figure out....

ping 7 8 9 are power ground, we ran them to the neg battery terminal. Same thing with the lc1 power ground (not sensor ground)

not sure how he has his power wires hooked up but thats for him to decide, drag week is done and we will be heading out soon.

ill remember to post the new log later.. it seemed like 1st gear and 2nd gear where no good and 3rd gear stayed pretty damn steady.. not perfect but pretty good. this is after we got new wires cap and rotor...

c2xejk
10-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Just got back from the dyno. With the car exactly as it was during the last day at the track it put down 166 whp. Leaned A/F ratio down to ~13.0 and retarded timing some and whp jumped up to 176 whp (multiple pulls as I tweaked A/F and spark timing separately...) The RPM sensor on the dynojet was not working so I have to guess on the RPM of peak hp (~5600 RPM...)

I made a few tweaks to work on off peak hp. Retarded timing in the off peak part of the table and either gained a little or didn't lose anything.

It looks like the rings are leaking. During the WOT runs I was getting some oil smoke out the tail pipe... Looks like it is time to plan a rebuild...

Ondonti
10-08-2011, 11:55 PM
How about the shakey datalogging in MS?

c2xejk
10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
I think the shaky data logging was due to spark plug wires being too close to the wide-band wires...

On the oil smoke, I am wondering if the source is the PCV system and not the rings...

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Thinking about what you are asking and I checked the timing err field and that hasn't changed... In some searching, I found indication that it doesn't mean much... There was talk of a fix, but no details... Not sure what to make of it. Seems strange that is so much more than what you see, but I haven't found out what it really means...

Sundance 6g72
10-09-2011, 10:42 AM
idk.. oil smoke when wide open on a block with LOTS of miles on it makes sense for it to be the rings.

c2xejk
10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
"Makes sense" and "is the cause of the problem" are two different things.... Since there is an "easy" check to see if it is from the PCV system, I should check that before I go through a rebuild...

Sundance 6g72
10-10-2011, 12:16 AM
well yeah.. but if you rebuild it you can go with 10:1 pistons ;)

c2xejk
10-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Agreed... I have also toyed with dropping a 3.5 or 3.8 block in...(Mitsu, not Chrysler) However, if I can get my hands on some slicks, I would like to make one more trip to the track this year...

Ondonti
10-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I have my Alternator and TPS going right up against spark plug wires but I guess my distributor wire goes all the way around. I know my MS harness uses shielded wiring for the distributor signal.

Seems wonky to have that much effect.
Everything on your datalogs are shaky compared to mine.

c2xejk
10-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Purchased these today. When I got home my wife asked my why I purchased defective tires? :) (no tread...)

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1972/1004252w.jpg

RoadWarrior222
10-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Purchased these today. When I got home my asked my why I purchased defective tires?

Oh fill in the blank, I love it, ex? mother? boyfriend? crush? kid sister? talking pet toad?

Sundance 6g72
10-15-2011, 07:48 PM
wife lol