PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh

86lance
07-19-2006, 10:37 PM
ok so my daytona blew the radiator and the alternator belt at the same time. Rather the alternator belt let the radiator have it. so a month goes by i put in a good t1 radiator a new alternator belt and a a/c delete bracket. I also painted the car but that is besides the point. Heres the problem. i fired the car up for the first time in a about a month tonight. I filled up the radiator good and full burped the hoses and all thatgood stuff and she started right up like normal. Ok while warming up a whiteish/green vapor comes out of the radiator.i dont think that was anything bad/wierd to happen. So i open the throttle a little bit to get things goin and get the water pump spinning more. So the thermostat opened up (180 degree) and i keep pourin in the water now that the thermo opened up. Filled all the way to the top of the radiator and let it run for about 3-4 more minutes to leave for somewhere. When i shut the car off the radiator threw up like a mofo and soaked my floor with an antifreeze/water combo. Did i do something wrong here or is that normal? The radiator cap was of this whole time as well. sry for the long --- post too!

Una
07-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah, the engine gets hotter when you shut it off and the coolant stops moving. You should have put the cap on as soon as it was full.

86lance
07-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Oh i dont pay attention to the stupid things like that.lol but if i had put the cap back on the radiator then when i shut the engine off wouldnt the coolant just come pouring out of the overflow whole on the radiator and spew into the overflow tank? Then it wouldnt go back in the radiator when i restarted it later right?

86lance
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Oh and thanks for the FAST reply !:eyebrows:

altered7151
07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Oh i dont pay attention to the stupid things like that.lol but if i had put the cap back on the radiator then when i shut the engine off wouldnt the coolant just come pouring out of the overflow whole on the radiator and spew into the overflow tank? Then it wouldnt go back in the radiator when i restarted it later right?

The problem is the pressure. Things boil at higher tempatures with increased pressure. Boiling point of water is 212* at atmospheric conditions, but climb way up under the high pressure of a radiator. So all that happened is that with the cap off the water boiled and overflowed. If you had the cap on the pressure would have been higher in the system and not let the water boil.

86lance
07-20-2006, 02:52 AM
ok so no harm done then,sweet The daytona gets to back out of the garage for the first time in a month tomorrow. This car kinda surprises me though,it started right up ran and sounded just fine after a month of sitting. All my other cars that have done that ran like poo for a while!

89ShelbyGuy
07-20-2006, 10:28 PM
haha...dummy! :D

86lance
07-21-2006, 12:43 AM
meh, All in good time and the car will be driving again. Just need that intercooler!