PDA

View Full Version : 'nother neon niggle, gauges acting up...

RoadWarrior222
09-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Hey folks,

So my sis in law's neon, 1st gen '98, is freaking her out again. This time, the gauges are dropping to zero, maybe the headlight relay is dropping out at the same time (or maybe just the indicator on the dash did, she's not terribly clear) and the coolant gauge went full scale and set the beeper off at the same time...

So I figure it's a bad connection somewhere or bad ground, told her to whack the dash if it happens again :D :thumb:

But... any notorious or common causes of this issue that you can go straight to, or is it gonna be a chaser?

Thanks,

RW222

j4278h
09-06-2011, 12:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwnsPmkX1M

RoadWarrior222
09-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Awesome jawsome, thanks.

Ima let it get worse before I "volunteer" I think :D

How much of a bizatch is the cluster to get out? Does it need the column, wheel and half the dash dismantling or just take bezels off and you're there?

j4278h
09-06-2011, 08:29 AM
whole top of the dash is just pop tabbed in place. Pull that off and there is 4 Phillips screws and its off. Maybe 2 minutes if you are moving slowly.

RoadWarrior222
09-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Hokay, thanks!

Don't sound too much of a problem.

I gots too much of my own sh!t to procrastinate about though, without having anyone elses to put off doing :D Methinks I'll "save" this one until it gets worse, since it doesn't sound like I need particularly good weather for it... Those ones where you gotta roll round under the dash for hours while your legs hang out in the slush and snow and -10 windchill are different.

dodgeshadowchik
09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Yup, VERY VERY common on these cars... Every 1g I've had; had to have that cluster repaired.