PDA

View Full Version : TIII Turbo to manifold stud thread size/pitch?

tsiconquest88
09-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Just wondering what size they are im assuming m12x1.5 ? i want to try to find small diameter nuts to squeeze between 2 of the mounting ears that are pretty close on my hx 35 to mount it. I dont feel like taking the mani back off to bring it somewhere to have them sized up lol. I lost the nuts that came off the other manifold that got ruined. only 2 came off anyway the other 2 i had to torch off which is why the mani got ruined. Thanks.

supercrackerbox
09-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm not positive on the TIII engines, but if they're the same as the 8V engines, they're 10mm x 1.5. The factory nuts are a 15mm hex. Might try an exhaust shop or something, they're difficult to find aftermarket. Otherwise hit up the junkyards and look for any Fords with the 2.3 Turbo engine. They used the same nuts.

tsiconquest88
09-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Yea i measured the stud this morning its 10mm idk how to find pitch but im pretty sure 1.5 looks right. As for the size of the nut hex, I dont remember what i used, but im thinking they were 14mm? Either way a 15mm nut will never fit in at least the one spot to mount my turbo. Eh well i been around this path may times i will figure something out, mainly wanted to find the thread size/pitch at least.

rx2mazda
09-05-2011, 05:52 PM
10X1.5 i used arp chromoly bolts with the small 13point heads, worked perfect for me! i can get you a part number if you want. iirc it was like 12 for the 4

Directconnection
09-05-2011, 06:04 PM
10X1.5 i used arp chromoly bolts with the small 13point heads, worked perfect for me! i can get you a part number if you want. iirc it was like 12 for the 4

Yeah, post the PN. Did you use them as bolts with the 12pt heads still on, or cut the heads off and turn them into a stud?

tsiconquest88
09-05-2011, 06:21 PM
That would be perfect! Only prob is were you able to use the 13 point end of your wrench in the one spot i mentioned above? i know i woulda never got a stock nut on there and woulda of had to use the box end of a wrench to tighten a normal nut. But since these will be 13 point i just wanna find out what you had to do since a box end wont do anything for a 13 point nut lol. Well if the nut is like 12mm or something i can get the 13 point end of a wrench on that! Maybe 13mm too? any bigger i doubt it for a 13 point nut.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Those would be ideal for the heat of the exhaust too!

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Hey another thing i meant to ask. I seen there was no gasket between the stock turbo and mani, but should i use one for the holset? cus i seen holsets use a gasket between their turbo/manifold. In fact most turbo cars do lol. Steel shim gasket. if not no biggy. But t3 steel gaskets are a dime a dozen on ebay and such.

turbovanmanČ
09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I thought they were fine thread, IE 1.25 pitch, I had to scrounge thru my Import bolt bin to get the right nuts, :eyebrows:

tsiconquest88
09-05-2011, 08:08 PM
oh idk. Carroll, the rod bolts/nuts you used did the nuts happen to fit the stock studs? I was assuming you used the nuts from the rod bolts on your stock nuts but just in case u didnt... yea.

rx2mazda
09-06-2011, 01:32 AM
opps sorry . they are not 13 pt heads just 13mm heads. before i had 15/17mm heads and getting them tightened was a real pita! I no longer use nuts or studs....the arp bolt screws right into the manifold. ill dig up the invoice tomorrow for you.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

i have never used any kind of gasket.

turbovanmanČ
09-06-2011, 02:04 AM
I use 2 studs and 2 bolts, mucho easy, :nod:

tsiconquest88
09-06-2011, 08:14 AM
wait howd u get the bolts through your turbo housing the way its casted carroll? thats crazy! maybe thats the difference between my hx35 and your he351? the casting come in the way of 2 of the 4 holes. one is just worse than the others lol. a 13mm nut woulda been great though!

Either way carroll get me the number and i will order them and just use the nuts. As long as they are 10mmx1.5 thread?

rx2mazda
09-06-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a Precision turbo now but, it shouldn't make a difference. I just remembered that the bolts I ordered were a tad to long so I cut some off the ends. If you can order the a few mm shorter that would be good.

Not sure why you are still asking about the thread size, I gave that to you already...Are you actually listening to Simon?! Here is the link to the ones I bought....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-662-1003/

turbovanmanČ
09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I have a Precision turbo now but, it shouldn't make a difference. I just remembered that the bolts I ordered were a tad to long so I cut some off the ends. If you can order the a few mm shorter that would be good.

Not sure why you are still asking about the thread size, I gave that to you already...Are you actually listening to Simon?! Here is the link to the ones I bought....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-662-1003/

That's not very nice, :mad:

He's right though, the other stock manifold I have is 10x1.5, mine for some reason is 10x1.25????? :confused:

iTurbo
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
10mm x 1.5 is right. I ordered a set of studs and nuts from www.atpturbo.com and they fit my TIII stuff great.

Studs: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=MIA-FST-032&Category_Code=FST

Nuts: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=MIA-FST-033&Category_Code=FST

tsiconquest88
09-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Carroll i wasnt asking what the stockers are anymore. What i asked you is IF you used the rod bolts and nuts, then i would use JUST the nuts if they matched my thread on my manifold. There is no way im going to get bolts through some of these holes cus the tgurbo housing is in the way. So thats why i was asking if the nuts from the rod bolts in fact were m10x1.5 Because you said nevermind you didnt use just the nuts you used the rod bolt too. Therefore that makes a big difference because if the rod bolt is a different thread i cant use the nuts. Ya feelin me dawg? lol

rx2mazda
09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Did you look at the link? There are no nuts, just bolts and they're not rod bolts(pack of 5,lol). you should be able to get bolts in without any problem as long as they are short enough. Maybe im miising something with your turbo? If you want to use studs and bolts then get what Jeremy posted.

tsiconquest88
09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Carroll i already have studs in my manifold which is why i asked what the thread size is lol. I said im missing the nuts i took off it thats all. 2 of the 4 i got off the other 2 i had to torch off. And no i hadnt looked at the link, i was just responding to what you last said. I see what u mean now though as far as you having just bolts. What i thought u were saying the whole time was first you used nuts on stock studs. Then you said oops i used rod bolts and as Steve apparently thought too, you ground the head off and used it as a stud and then nuts to hold the turbo on. Usually rod bolts have a flat head and a nut holds the cap on. Thats what me and steve got the impression you meant.

Directconnection
09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
10mm x 1.5 is right. I ordered a set of studs and nuts from www.atpturbo.com and they fit my TIII stuff great.

Studs: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=MIA-FST-032&Category_Code=FST

Nuts: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=MIA-FST-033&Category_Code=FST]

Awesome! Not sure I want to use the locking nuts, as it may make things nearly impossible to remove years later....

That $1.05 is for each, correct?

tsiconquest88
09-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I found the m10 1.5 nuts in the smaller hex size 14mm. they are just like the ones in that link. I can get them in pack of 25 though lol. So Steve if you would like any let me know i will have plenty haha. they are the exhaust OEM type stuff with the copper coat. Mitsu and many other foreign cars have them. I ddnt know i could find them in 14mm hex so i didnt bother looking but gave it a go anyway. Its only 18 bucks with shipping for the 25 so im not crying over it lol. Heck i can sell them off to all the mitsu guys and they love them cus they fit in tight places!!!! They dont lock up as bad as you would think though Steve. They open up as you get onto the stud and go down rather easy and stay there once heated. But if the studs dont rust up they will come off.

Directconnection
09-15-2011, 11:35 PM

Nuts: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=MIA-FST-033&Category_Code=FST

Hey Jeremy, I just ordered the studs/nuts. I got raped... but had to have something that I know works perfectly under extreme temps (didn't want to use threaded rod cut to length via Home Depot)

tsiconquest88
09-16-2011, 07:20 AM
if u needed them that bad, why didnt you just tell me like i posted right above. I got the same nuts but an even smaller hex. I woulda sold them to you for like 5 bucks shipped man. I got 25 of the friggin things. Only sold in bulk but they only costed me what you paid for 4 lol.

Directconnection
09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
if u needed them that bad, why didnt you just tell me like i posted right above. I got the same nuts but an even smaller hex. I woulda sold them to you for like 5 bucks shipped man. I got 25 of the friggin things. Only sold in bulk but they only costed me what you paid for 4 lol.

I musta missed that part of your post.... No biggie... they cost me $4 and I was having the studs shipped anyways.

tsiconquest88
09-16-2011, 06:29 PM
oh doesnt apt site say 11 dollars?

Directconnection
09-16-2011, 07:05 PM
oh doesnt apt site say 11 dollars?

They were something like $8-9 for 4 studs and 4 nuts. I forget what the shipping was....

iTurbo
09-16-2011, 07:35 PM
yup I can't say ATP Turbo has the best prices on stuff, but I've always been happy with the quality of their products. I have to order another set of those now because I used the set I had to fix a local kid's turbo eclipse with an aftermarket header.

Directconnection
09-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, ATP knows they got the market by the ballz.... but in reality, $1 for each stud isn't highway robbery... just sux once shipping is added in.

tsiconquest88
09-16-2011, 08:23 PM
yea not at all. I forgot it was 4 studs and the 4 nuts!!!

Lotashelbys
09-17-2011, 01:25 AM
O how I love having a good buddy running our Fastenal store here in town. All the S/S and jet-nuts and metric studs I could ever dream of for uber cheap.......

Directconnection
09-17-2011, 10:24 AM
O how I love having a good buddy running our Fastenal store here in town. All the S/S and jet-nuts and metric studs I could ever dream of for uber cheap.......

Bastage!

Then maybe you should sell them here to your TM buddies super cheap, too! (along with your heads, and cams... and downpipes and etc... :thumb:)

tsiconquest88
09-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Yea i have a few fastenal's around me. Problem is they dont have knowledgeable people in metric when details need to be deeper than say.... hi, i need a m12 x 1.5 bolt that is 45mm long lol. Even that is sometimes a joke with some places.