PDA

View Full Version : BoostButton Flash Modules

ShelGame
09-02-2011, 07:25 AM
So, the flashable computers are not nearly as popular as I hoped they would be. Since I'm sitting on a bunch of flash modules, I'm considering selling the module for self install. For the SMEC and SBEC, it's not a simple install. The SMEC requires wires to be run to hook up the flash control lines. And, the SBEC requires drilling 0.04" holes in the board, thru a pad, without screwing up traces. There are details of the SMEC install here - http://www.merkurboys.com/wiki/index.php/SMEC:FlashInstall - My module design is slightly different, but the install is the same.

So, would anyone be interested in a DIY flash module for $50? Instead of the complete computer for $150+...

eski
09-03-2011, 04:33 AM
What is needed to flash SBEC with new software? Laptop, serial port?

I am putting my RT in garage in few moths and keeping it there whole winter. I don't want to compile my own cal. I'd rather buy cals and upload those to SBEC. Then I would be able to test new version of T3 turbonator, but this has to wait next spring :(

ShelGame
09-03-2011, 07:23 AM
To flash, you need a laptop, USB cable and MP Tuner. I should have mentioned, the SBEC install doesn't require all those wires. Just drilling the board. The required traces are right under the original EEPROM (the 4 extra pads to the right, if you've ever seen the SBEC without a chip).

Obviously, being self-installed, I can't guarantee the work - which is why I originally didn't want to sell them that way.

eski
09-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Don't worry... I'm sending my SBEC to you :)

Force Fed Mopar
09-03-2011, 10:14 AM
What has to be done on the SBEC to attach to the 4 traces? I may be interested in a DIY kit for my V6 project, I'll be running an SBEC II computer ('93 3.0 %-spd P-body computer to be exact).

shackwrrr
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
What is needed to flash SBEC with new software? Laptop, serial port?

I am putting my RT in garage in few moths and keeping it there whole winter. I don't want to compile my own cal. I'd rather buy cals and upload those to SBEC. Then I would be able to test new version of T3 turbonator, but this has to wait next spring :(

The TIII turbonator is a pretty good point right now, you'll be safe ordering a cal for it. With your car down over the winter, thats the best time to have it socketed and get a tune.

Rob, I would be interested in this, Its cheaper than a chip burner and more reliable than the ostrich(try to sell one to simon). Do you need your special USB cable?

Unfortunately, I don't have the $$ right now :(

ShelGame
09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Do you need your special USB cable?

Yes, you will need the USB cable I sell. I added in the protection circuit for the bootstrap wire.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

What has to be done on the SBEC to attach to the 4 traces? I may be interested in a DIY kit for my V6 project, I'll be running an SBEC II computer ('93 3.0 %-spd P-body computer to be exact).

You don't have to add the traces on the SBEC, they're already there. But, the thru holes are not drilled in 3 of the 4 pads. So, you'll have to drill those holes and carefully solder the module in since the hole will not be plated thru. Getting the sodler to flow thru them can be difficult.

For the SBECII, I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the same deal, but some wires will have to be run because the SBECII uses a 32-pin device and the flash pins are offset from the SBEC.

moparman76_69
09-03-2011, 07:51 PM
What kind of connection does the board have for a PC is it a USB port or does it just have solder pads for TX/RX to the FTDI chip? I'd be interested in a DIY module but I'm looking into different ways to interface with a PC. PM me if you don't want it public.

ShelGame
09-04-2011, 09:59 AM
What kind of connection does the board have for a PC is it a USB port or does it just have solder pads for TX/RX to the FTDI chip? I'd be interested in a DIY module but I'm looking into different ways to interface with a PC. PM me if you don't want it public.

The best/easiest way is to just use the SCI port. Anything else would be a lot more complication on the SMEC/SBEC...

moparman76_69
09-04-2011, 02:11 PM
The best/easiest way is to just use the SCI port. Anything else would be a lot more complication on the SMEC/SBEC...

So the SMEC allows you to flash through the SCI port? Thought just the SBEC could do that.

ShelGame
09-04-2011, 02:25 PM
The SMEC can be flashed thru the sci port, too...

moparman76_69
09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah I checked the link you posted and noticed it had no direct connection to the module. I'd be willing to give it a go with a DIY personally.

CSX344
09-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Dont give up yet I will be getting one soon.

ShelGame
09-09-2011, 06:56 AM
No, No; Not giving up, just thinking about opening up the flash modules to a user-install option...