PDA

View Full Version : 87 glhs - only runs with the starter engaged?

MtOliverAuto
08-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I have an 87 glhs 53k mi. i've recently replaced the fuel pump, distributor, halls effects, plugs and wires. when i engage the starter the car starts, as soon as i release the the key the car stumbles off with the key in the on position. i noticed asd and fuel pump prime are randomly turning on and off. I checked fuel pressure, 53psi, and spark at coil and coil lights but only when cranking or when asd turns on. I cant think of what else it maybe? Everyone ever had this problem?? THanks John

cordes
08-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I would check the ign switch.

J&H Ryan
08-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Swap the ASD relay out? Same thing as you describe happened to my 90 Jeep Cherokee and that was it.

cordes
08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Swap the ASD relay out? Same thing as you describe happened to my 90 Jeep Cherokee and that was it.

That could be. I'd like to note that the GLHS will have the ASD built into the power module.

supercrackerbox
08-29-2011, 12:40 AM
I'd start with the ignition switch as well. Try making sure it's adjusted right to begin with, swap it out if needed.

MtOliverAuto
08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking the power module is bad or asd in the power module. I cant remember if the power module are specific to turbo/non-turbo/different years etc.. Can someone enlighten me? I have a couple used power modules but dont know if they'll work? Thanks John

black86glhs
08-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Power module needs to be from a turbo car, yes

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

22mopar
08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't guess anything without testing things using a rational and pragmatic problem solving method. not knowing the history of the car, maybe someone has some wires messed up. have you tested voltage to the coil during these events? probed circuits in the PCM connector?