PDA

View Full Version : Turbos/Intercoolers: garrett turbo

shelbyglhs151
08-27-2011, 03:31 PM
looking for a turbo for my 87 glhs was going to rebuild my old one,but the shaft looks worn let know what you have thanx.

roachjuice
08-27-2011, 03:36 PM
looking for a turbo for my 87 glhs was going to rebuild my old one,but the shaft looks worn let know what you have thanx.

I have one. No shaft play. T1 Garrett. Just swap your compressor cover over and swing valve. 100 shipped

88_pacifica
08-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Where you at? What leads you to think the shaft has wear? That's weird as shaft wear is not that common. 90% of the time the bearings are the issue. I would love to see pics if you can get those for us. :eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
08-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Where you at? What leads you to think the shaft has wear? That's weird as shaft wear is not that common. 90% of the time the bearings are the issue. I would love to see pics if you can get those for us. :eyebrows:

I've seen lots with shaft wear, lack of maintenance and high temp shut down scores and blues the crap out of it, :(

black86glhs
08-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Bluing is not wear, it is heat and oil.....lol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

shelbyglhs151
08-27-2011, 08:02 PM
I have two garrett's i took apart the other one the shaft has a little bend on the end were the threads are, that one in picture 09 has a raised area were i would think the bearing rides on. The second in picture 05 that shaft is off the turbo that came off the car with alot of shaft play hitting the housing , barely has any ridge for the bearing to ride on, would never thought anything about it til i had them both apart not sure how to upload photos ,just go to flicker and look me up shelbyglh151 the 2 photos of the shafts are their

88_pacifica
08-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I have two garrett's i took apart the other one the shaft has a little bend on the end were the threads are, that one in picture 09 has a raised area were i would think the bearing rides on. The second in picture 05 that shaft is off the turbo that came off the car with alot of shaft play hitting the housing , barely has any ridge for the bearing to ride on, would never thought anything about it til i had them both apart not sure how to upload photos ,just go to flicker and look me up shelbyglh151 the 2 photos of the shafts are their

I created a flickr account, but I still couldn't seem to find it/you. I am curious as to the shaft wear since even 'grit' in the oil usually just 'kills' out the bearings even more. That hardened shaft usually just breaks or bends(like you were describing), but I would really like to see the wear. Email me the pics and I will host them for you here so that we can all see what you're saying...

88_pacifica
08-28-2011, 07:45 PM
He sent me the link so here it is for everybody...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66944392@N08/page2/

intheloop
08-30-2011, 06:48 PM
I have a perfectly good garrett. Just needs your compressor housing. No smoke, very, very little shaft play. $75+shipping.

turbovanmanČ
08-30-2011, 07:12 PM
The ridge is normal, its stepped there. The right one looks like like someone took 80 grit sandpaper to it?

Bluing is not wear, it is heat and oil.....lol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

No, but when the shaft if fubured and blue, its wear, :p

black86glhs
08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
The ridge is normal, its stepped there. The right one looks like like someone took 80 grit sandpaper to it?

No, but when the shaft if fubured and blue, its wear, :pits not wear, its blue!!!!

Just kidding.......just playing with the wording. :)