PDA

View Full Version : Project- LED "bar graph" style tach, thoughts?

mopar-tech
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm looking to construct an LED bar graph tach into the speedo cluster of a classic car and have not had much luck in finding the information or a kit. Has anyone on the board tried something like this?

This tach from Equus is the basic idea but I wish to imbed the LED's in the cluster where they can't be seen unless the car is run and the assembly is switched on.

Thoughts?

Gary

BadAssPerformance
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Neat idea. Any way to use the electronic from a factory digital dash?

plymouth
08-26-2011, 09:52 PM
K car digi dashes had leds, you should be able to hack that easy.

mopar-tech
08-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Neat idea. Any way to use the electronic from a factory digital dash?

Well, I don't have one about and they are rather hard to find. Not to mention this would be for an 8 cyl so the range would be off a bit.

shackwrrr
08-26-2011, 11:11 PM
I would like to see an F1 style sequential shift light.

risen
08-27-2011, 12:06 AM
I built one for my brother that's going in a 67 dart, though it's laid out in a circle with 40 green/red smt leds. It fully stand alone gauge based upon some TI led drivers and a atmel 8 bit mcu. With a small MCU and some serial led drivers that sort of thing could probably be done in a weekend if you're stuck inside hiding from Irene :) . It took me longer to get the math right to lay the leds out equally spaced in a circle at the proper angle than it did to do the schematic.

bakes
08-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Gary if budget has no set figure what about this?
http://www.autometer.com/dataloggers.aspx

Al i can think is a 84 datona Z with LED tach if you can find one.

mopar-tech
08-27-2011, 05:27 AM
I built one for my brother that's going in a 67 dart, though it's laid out in a circle with 40 green/red smt leds.

Too funny, this is for a 67 Dart as well.

Still getting ready for hurricane a bit, mostly done but I have a 2000 watt power inverter I wish to get setup before the party gets started. The generator is nice but just wasting fuel if all you have to run is the freezer and a TV. I have plenty of batterys...

ShelGame
08-27-2011, 08:28 AM
This one looks pretty simple and close to what you're looking for...

http://www.niksula.hut.fi/~mdobruck/siililand/mini/diy/alien/tacho/tacho.html

Big_P
08-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Gary, I have a factory digital tach dash from an 85 600 turbo you can have if you want. The tach works, but some of the LED's don't come on unless you give the dashboard "the fonz". If you're going to be taking it apart anyway to de-solder stuff this shouldn't be a problem.

sabrina
09-19-2011, 06:28 AM
that looks quite pretty.