PDA

View Full Version : testing turbo...

mark
07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
can someone correct me if i am wrong...

I suspect my turbo to be dead. before it died it was making very weird sounds anytime it pushed past 5 psi, and sound died off slowly when back into vacum (sounded kinda like one of those birthday noise makers, low pitch annoying sound)... recently smoke started coming form the exhaust at startup I'm guessing its the turbo cause there are other sounds even worse now that change with boost. I removed the turbo and there is a lot of up/down movement, maybe 1/8". some slight in/out. There is no oil in the pipes.

I believe the turbo to have failed on the hot side.

Can I plug the coolant and oil lines and fire the engine up to see if the engine smokes. will the engine even run? I cant see why not but never having done this kind of troubleshooting a turbo i'm asking for help on this. I just want to see if the engine will start and smoke. I hoping it doesn't and the smoke was generated from the turbo.

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2006, 02:23 PM
You can plug off the coolant line but not the oil, you will kill it pretty fast. I would take off the intake hose and see if the turbo spins, then blip the gas and watch the turbo, if it starts to wobble, its done. 1/8" is alot of movement, too much. It really sounds like your turbo is done.

mark
07-20-2006, 02:05 PM
removed the turbo, plugged the oil and coolant lines...

started up fine, no smoke at all, sounds like its definitely the turbo.

now to find what kind of replacement turbo... hmmmmm

89turbomini
07-20-2006, 02:15 PM
I See you own a R/T and a charger. If this is for the charger TU sells a nice super 60 for $735. If its for the R/T they also have a T3/T4E stage3 that would be a nice upgrade and give you tons more power

mark
07-20-2006, 03:46 PM
it's the r/t. ive been considering the t3/t4e but I dont really understand all the types of turbo terms as of yet. the difference between a 57 trim and a 60 trim, etc etc...

89turbomini
07-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Check out this site it has some good info. I have heard the 50 trim t3/t4e does very well. Not so sure about the 57 trim maybe someone else will cime in

http://site.mawebcenters.com/evanstuning/tech7.html

mark
07-20-2006, 04:09 PM
hey thanks! i'll check that out now

daytonaturbo87
07-21-2006, 06:07 PM
I know a number of the DOHC conversion guys are running holset hx35's off of cummins diesel trucks. I have no idea what the specs are on those, and modding would be required, but possibly worth checking into...?

turbovanmanČ
07-29-2006, 08:49 PM
The holeset is a good turbo but the 50 trim T3/T4, stage III wheel and .63 a/r housing is a wicked choice. For info, PM Mopar2ya, he has run both turbos.