PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 dragster mini van!! help!!

jpdthe3rd
08-22-2011, 05:54 PM
ok so im new here and im trying to make a 3.0 liter mini van turbo charged and doing atleast 13.5. i made a bet with a friend that has a mazda miata and said i bet i can make my mini van faster then your little "chick" car.so we got to work. iv orderd a holset hx35 turbo and i can get w.e. elts i need to get it running, what injectors should i use? ive been told ford #30 work but how much poneys can they handle? i looked at the man who built the turbo 3.0 lebaron or a duster(idk) and the heads he had were amasing! but how should i build those and how hard or easy is it to turn around the intake manifold and still have it function properlyany help is good help and the engine has give or take 40-50k on it. THANKS

Murphy
08-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Duno much about the turbo stuff, but to flip the intake you will need spacers, longer bolts, a longer throttle cable and to lengthen the sensor wires. If your running a 670 you will need to get creative for the kickdown rod. A non EGR manifold might be necessary.

jpdthe3rd
08-22-2011, 06:28 PM
i tool off the intake and tried to flip it i dont think im going to need longer bolts but i do need to move around wires and the cable, theres 2 cables on the throtle body i know one goes to the pedal were dose the other go?

RoadWarrior222
08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
maybe to the cruise control, depending on year, under the battery tray.

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Go over the to the 3.0L turbo section, your in for alot of work as most will be custom. You will need to run standalone or run a RRR and back off the base timing a bit. It will be fun but alot of work.

You can run 13's if you can buy a turbo 4 cylinder van and do some mods to that.

jpdthe3rd
08-22-2011, 06:58 PM
well i got this one for free so im just going with what i got, and it has a custom trans in it dose go under the battery tray. could i just get rid of it if it is to the cruze control, and im ready for the work i have to do, if i put 700 bucks in it and it goes like stink ill be one happy man. whats an rrr?

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2011, 07:05 PM
well i got this one for free so im just going with what i got, and it has a custom trans in it dose go under the battery tray. could i just get rid of it if it is to the cruze control, and im ready for the work i have to do, if i put 700 bucks in it and it goes like stink ill be one happy man. whats an rrr?

You wont' be able to get that turbo'd for $700, unless you fabricate everything yourself and find a cheap, cheap turbo.

Transmission will also need to beefing up to take a turbo 3.0L.

RRR is a Rising Rate Regulator, it ups the fuel pressure in boost so you won't lean out as the factory computer can't compensate for boost.

jpdthe3rd
08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
trans is already beefed up, so no worrys, i have fabricating skill so thats what i was planning on and the turbos 300 buck brand spanking new, 95 for and inter cooler and 90 bucks on pipes and conectors im still well under 700.how would i go about getting an RRR and installing it?

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Google, :p

http://www.cartech.net/fmu2020instruc.htm

jpdthe3rd
08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
couldnt i just give it biger injectors annd a stronger fule pump?

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2011, 07:34 PM
couldnt i just give it biger injectors annd a stronger fule pump?

That will work but out of boost, it will be pig rich, you can't tune for that.

jpdthe3rd
08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
true, but that with the RRR should give me prolly more psi then i should need

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

cpu;d i eliminate the stock regulator for the RRR if i put in a neew fule pump all together?

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
true, but that with the RRR should give me prolly more psi then i should need

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

cpu;d i eliminate the stock regulator for the RRR if i put in a neew fule pump all together?

An RRR is adjustable so you set it to your engine, our 4 cylinders run a 1:1 rate, so you will probably be the same. You need to richen the van up in boost, this isn't debatable, so you need to figure out what way your going to use. AFAIK, you keep the stock FPR.

A stock fuel pump might be ok but most of us replace them with Walbro 255's as unless you have a labscope, you can't really tell if its about to shitt the bed.

jpdthe3rd
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
i was going to put in a fuel cell and an exturnal fule pump, would i re use the stock regulator and then a RRR im going to stick with stock,.

RoadWarrior222
08-23-2011, 12:13 PM
That will work but out of boost, it will be pig rich, you can't tune for that.I dunno if it will work much, the SMEC would tend to chop the duty cycle in half, and then it would go lean in boost.

turbovanmanČ
08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
i was going to put in a fuel cell and an exturnal fule pump, would i re use the stock regulator and then a RRR im going to stick with stock,.

That will work, but most likely, you'd use a matching reg to the pump, I am a little crusty on that so maybe others can chime in.

I dunno if it will work much, the SMEC would tend to chop the duty cycle in half, and then it would go lean in boost.

Lots have used an RRR, they work, and hence why they are adjustable, so you can compensate for the computer. Its crude but many have gone fast with that setup.

RoadWarrior222
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Oh I thought you were saying just bigger injectors would work

turbovanmanČ
08-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Oh I thought you were saying just bigger injectors would work

Noooooooooo, lol, he wanted to do that, I said it won't work. :p

Reaper1
08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
To the OP, do some research in the 3.0 section and read up. It IS possible and does work, but it's not as easy as one might think to make it work well. What transmission is in it and what do you consider "beefed up"?

Ondonti
08-24-2011, 04:53 AM
The fueling is the expensive part even if you can fab everything else. Ghetto fueling can cost more then Megasquirt also. Try a cheap megasquirt 1 if you really want cheap but effective.

turbovanmanČ
08-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Listen to Brent, he's been there, got the badge.

RoadWarrior222
08-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Yah, he would have been in the 13s but for one tiny thing missing.... about 500lb of concrete in the trunk... so he tended to get chucked off tracks for not having a cage etc...

jpdthe3rd
08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I just looking for 13.5 at least so fast the better.maybe. but thanks for the help. Its all verry usefull to me.

Ondonti
08-25-2011, 08:38 AM
now I don't understand why people fail to make these threads in the 3.0 section...Move me! :P

shelbymonster
08-25-2011, 09:02 AM
does the cold start injectors would work ,i would use pressure switch and a fpr on them , been thinking about this for a long time lol

Ondonti
08-25-2011, 09:06 AM
The 3.0 plenum is not awesome for fuel distribution in that manner.

shelbymonster
08-25-2011, 09:08 AM
ok yeah , id love to try it someday ,if the dad upgrade his he341 ill give it a shot

Murphy
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
The 3.0 plenum is not awesome for fuel distribution in that manner.

so just put one in each runner lol

turbovanmanČ
08-25-2011, 01:32 PM
so just put one in each runner lol

LO, that's what I was going to say, :D

Ondonti
09-04-2011, 06:49 AM
LO, that's what I was going to say, :D
Reaper's 3.0 is direct ported

Darkwolf
09-04-2011, 07:20 AM
As the owner of a miata and a turbo caravan your 3.0l van should already be faster than the miata lol. The miatas handle a little better though.

Sundance 6g72
11-30-2011, 04:47 PM
when you say the trans is all beefed up, what do you mean? Rebuilt to oem spec dosnt count as beefed up.. and if thats the case, it will take the power for a little and then die.

you need to figure out your turbo manifold. Ed kelly at KMPerformance makes a rear header and a crossover turbo manifold. the cheepest way to go would be to get the crossover manifold and just cap the rear manifold. I did this along with one or two other guys and it "works." Flow is obiously not as good as the front manifold but it still gets the turbo going at a decent rpm.

injectors from a 3800 super charged car will work. make sure to get the year right so you can score some 36#.

youl want a 3inch exhaust or open downpipe if you dont mind... port the inside of the plenum also.

you flipped the plenum but didnt need longer bolts or spacers? how did it clear the distributor?

RoadWarrior222
11-30-2011, 05:17 PM
OP hasn't been on since 10 days after he joined/first posted...

Since we've turned to waxing hypothetical then...

We don't know the trans, if it's an A670, I'd say worry about making 300HP or better first before worrying about how beefed up it is. In minivans, it was supposed to have all the turbo upgrades, plus maybe a little extra. So should be equivalent to highest spec turbo 3 speed.

Another point to raise is injector resistance, older 3.0s had low resistance injectors, later ones, high resistance. Forgot the change year, '91 sounds right at the moment.

Vigo
11-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Thread has been moved to the Turbo 3.0 section.

I even left a friendly redirect in the old location for a week. How thoughtful!

http://firsthour.net/screenshots/katamari-damacy/katamari-damacy-king-of-all-cosmos-cows-rainbows.jpg

Sundance 6g72
11-30-2011, 06:20 PM
the 3800 injectors i recommended are high impedence I THINK... i ran them with the stock ecu one or twice but quickly switched back to stock until my megasquirt was up and running.