PDA

View Full Version : Converting an 87 Daytona to a TII setup!

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Helping a customer convert his car over. I can't find the articles so what do I need to do, and what computer can I use, it won't be TII but basically going from a log to a blow thru setup. I am going to chip the LM as its a 2.5 hence why I told him to convert to the TI setup, he didn't know he had a 2.5 and its a CB too boot. Thanks.

BadAssPerformance
08-19-2011, 02:13 PM
So 87 Log T1 car to a 2.5L blow thru, non intercooled? ... So basically an intake/tb swap? need to get a late T1/T2 exhaust mani (or grind the top of the flange for intake runner #4 clearance. Can run with the log T1 harness w/o the AIS (manually set throttle stop) or add those wires. For computer, the 87 T1 or T2 LM will actually work OK, just make sure you have at least stock T2 (same as stock 2.5L T1) 32pph injectors.

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2011, 02:25 PM
So 87 Log T1 car to a 2.5L blow thru, non intercooled? ... So basically an intake/tb swap? need to get a late T1/T2 exhaust mani (or grind the top of the flange for intake runner #4 clearance. Can run with the log T1 harness w/o the AIS (manually set throttle stop) or add those wires. For computer, the 87 T1 or T2 LM will actually work OK, just make sure you have at least stock T2 (same as stock 2.5L T1) 32pph injectors.

Yep, sold him all the TI blow thru stuff, so that's a given, :nod: No IC at this time, he might buy my TII setup down the road but he just wants to get it running for now.

So basically your moving/adding the wires for the AIS and that's it? I'll keep the one wire ox sensor for simplicity sake. If I reuse his stock computer, and rechip it, will it run the 4 wire AIS?

shelbymonster
08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Yep, sold him all the TI blow thru stuff, so that's a given, :nod: No IC at this time, he might buy my TII setup down the road but he just wants to get it running for now.

So basically your moving/adding the wires for the AIS and that's it? I'll keep the one wire ox sensor for simplicity sake. If I reuse his stock computer, and rechip it, will it run the 4 wire AIS?

i guess it will , i didnt ask rob about it when i sold im all my LM's but im prety sure it will work ,all have been said about the conversion , i did it on a pacifica not too long ago and was a piece of cake

Aries_Turbo
08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
the T1 harness should have the correct TPS plug so thats all set.

add the 2 wires and run the later AIS motor. if you do a 2.5L LM turbonator cal, it will expect the later AIS and you may get a code without it.

the o2 sensor should be a 3 wire, not a one wire so its pretty good. ive added a stainless small hose clamp around 1 and 3 wire o2's before and attached a wire to them and grounded it better than the connection through the manifold/o2 housing for better signal with good results.

his 87 t1 ecu should have the drivers on the board for the 4 wire AIS as well. at least all the ones ive seen have had it for 87 (4 or 5 or so)

Brian

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Sweet, so add the extra wires, chip the LM, good to go, :nod:

Orangetona
08-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Other than grinding the exhaust manifold or get a newer style one and modifying the turbo to work which is also easy. sounds good.

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Other than grinding the exhaust manifold or get a newer style one and modifying the turbo to work which is also easy. sounds good.

He's doing all that, plus it has a CB in it so the exhaust manifold was already done. He is putting it all together with my help, then I'll do the AIS and recal it, then his 17 year old son can blow it up, :nod:

Orangetona
08-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Rofl...probably so true.

turbovanmanČ
08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Rofl...probably so true.

I made him convert from log, he phoned me and asked what the 2.5 on the crank meant? He'd already has issues with parts as he was ordering stuff for an 87 not knowing someone put a CB in. I asked who was going to drive it, he said his son, I told him convert it or he will blow it up sooner rather than later, :lol: