PDA

View Full Version : Machine shop fudged up the oil gallery plug, back of 2.5L head

AngelesRunner
08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I got a head back from the machine shop. The owner of the shop did the assembly instead of the normal head guy. The cam was put in backwards. They changed it around. Then, three intake bolts pulled out the internal threads in the head. They helicoiled. One of the helicoils pulled out because it wouldn't lock into the drilled hole. They did something and gave it back to me with the intake manifold installed.

My friend, a professional mechanic, shop owner, loaned me a digital torque wrench in the inch pounds range and I was scared to tighten tighter than 12 ft-lbs on all of the intake studs.

Put the head on and when the car started oil poured out of the gallery plug on the back, left side, of the head. Thought, "Well, they just didn't put any sealer on it." and took the plug out. Well, the threads were just gone. Went back to the machine shop. They gave me a 3/8" x 18 NPT tap as a loaner since the head was on the car. They also gave me a threaded plug which was deeper and more straight wall than what had been in it so that threads at the very end of the plug would have a chance to grab fresh head metal.

Went back to the car and tapped the hole with the head on the engine. Cleaned out the chips and then wrapped the plug in teflon tape until the threads were barely visible. Had to screw this longer plug in until there was no more side of the plug visible in order to get the oil flow to stop but it is now stopped.

My mechanic friend says he likes the people at the machine shop i went to but he doesn't trust their service and recommended another shop which I will use from now on.

I guess the moral is check everything you have done that is not under your direct control.

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Bummer, but at least it runs.

Check to make sure they put the cam caps on correctly.

AngelesRunner
08-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Did that. I always retorque what anyone else does.

I have 6 old Chryslers. I love Permatex High Temperature Aluminum based anti-sieze, taps, dies, wire brushes, torque wrenches.

88 Horizon (Hangar Queen) will get new suspension and GLH brake clone after DD (Daily Driver) $495
89 Horizon (my DD) about, coming week, to get new suspension and SLH2 $350
89 Voyager 2.5 T1 Turbo (sitting in splendor w/broken oil line) $695
91 Acclaim (Son's College Daily Driver soon to be Daughter's High School DD) $395
92 Acclaim (The car in this thread soon to be Son's DD $200
94 Shadow (Wife's DD) $1,400 because they painted it and detailed it because she is a -----

90 LeBaron convertible $350 to part for 4 15" aftermarket wheels, front vented discs for 88, rear unvented discs for 89, struts for 94