PDA

View Full Version : Complete shopping list for 5-speed swap on minivan??

BerBer5985
08-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm going to a pull-it-yourself junkyard this weekend and I was thinking about doing a 5 speed swap on the 89 mini, but I was wondering if anyone had a complete shopping list of parts I'd need so if I see something of use, I can grab it. Maybe there's a link or something, but I wasnt able to find it. I also want to switch to a TII setup with a front mount intercooler. A/C is already pulled because it didn't work, so a front mount intercooler shouldn't be too bad.

BadAssPerformance
08-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Off the top of my head... if you found a 89 stick van, you would take:

-Trans (including shifter cable bracket on top, distance sensor, throw out bearing, etc.)
-DS trans mount
-Starter sub-harness including connector for reverse light swith instead of neutral safety swithc (auto)
-Clutch
-Flywheel
-Clutch cable
-Clutch cable bracket on DS strut tower
-Shifter
-Shift cables (there are 2 of them, need both) & cable clips
-Shifter cable grommet/bracket to go thru the floor
-Shifter console / boot
-Clutch pedal assembly or full 3-pedal asembly
-All the nuts and bolts that holds it all in so your install looks stock :thumb:

Optional/questions:
-Gauge cluster - if it has a tach and yours doesn't
-Axles - if your are unequal length and it has equal length if you want those
-SMEC - is there a difference auto to 5-speed?

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Smec, instrument cluster, steering column, and the bracket the shifter bolts too, its welded to the floor.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ddg_van_tech.html

Don't all you guys say it doesn't matter on driveshaft length's. ?????? :p

BerBer5985
08-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Does the transmission have to come out of an 89 minivan? I'm curious as to which parts with other cars are transferrable to the minivan and which are minivan only.

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Does the transmission have to come out of an 89 minivan? I'm curious as to which parts with other cars are transferrable to the minivan and which are minivan only.

Read the link I gave you.

You can use any 523/568, just watch the final drive ratio.

If you want to run a 520/555 trans, then you need the matching shifter and cables.

22mopar
08-25-2011, 05:53 AM
the best method is just get a whole parts van with everything you need then junk what's left over. I've got 5 stick minivans in my parts inventory all going to the JY by end of Sept.

BerBer5985
08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
It would be nice to get the whole assembly for sure. ^^ I'll see if I can't find one local I guess.

22mopar
08-25-2011, 08:35 AM
I got 5 so if I can find that many, it can't be that hard.

BerBer5985
08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
That's what I'm thinking. Haha