PDA

View Full Version : Is FelPro good for anything?

85_600
07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm looking for local stores for my intake/exhaust gasket. Everyone has a Felpro gasket and it's relatively cheap.

So, I know the Felpro HG's are crap but what about the other ones. Would the intake/exhaust one be decent?

Oh, and D-Day is coming this Wed. The head gets pulled. Look for a post with pics - BIG Pics...

Thanks,
Paul

BadAssPerformance
07-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Felpro I/E manifold gaskets are decent. just make sure to open the box to see if one end is bent. I think their packaging machine/person/process shoots them in the box too hard, cuz it is all too common and they are fragile.

Last one I bought the guy opens the package, it looks ok then he drops it back in, I pull it back out... it is slightly bent but probably ok...

turbovanmanČ
07-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Nothing wrong with using Fel-Pro on the engine except the head, as you noted. They had the brains to make a one piece oil pan gasket for CB's, stroke of bloody genius, :nod:

Dave
07-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Their headgaskets are fine.......................... so far. I tell you what, I'll put it to the challenge. Just installed a Felpro h/g the other day.

Personally I think they're fine. I just think people don't know how to take their time cleaning the decks or the the torque sequence/maintanence.

CDNTurboZ
07-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Their headgaskets are fine.......................... so far. I tell you what, I'll put it to the challenge. Just installed a Felpro h/g the other day.

Personally I think they're fine. I just think people don't know how to take their time cleaning the decks or the the torque sequence/maintanence.

I agree with you as well. So far I have been running a felpro intake/exhaust gasket, and a felpro headgasket with headbolts. Its been 3 months so far and no problems. I am running 11 psi. I am not sure how good they are if you are running high boost, etc

DeckSetter
07-19-2006, 06:50 PM
My van has a felpro head gasket on it. It was there when I got the van. I think it's blown on stock (yet creeping) boost.

86Shelby
07-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I never had a problem with the FP HG in my GLHS. it had been there for 5 yerars prior and I replaced it when it started leaking after I overheated the car. did a quick afternoon swap and it was dandy for another 20k before I replaced the engine.

$50spirit
08-03-2006, 07:40 PM
stock felpro p.t. replaced 5k ago first 4,500 mile great ,and then the 5th injector big front mount 18pounds of boost= blown felpro with water in my clean synthetic oh well it lasted upto 14 no problem so i say thats the safe limit

Tony Hanna
08-03-2006, 08:57 PM
I think the main issue people have with the Felpro head gaskets comes from the older ones. I've heard people talk about the old gaskets as being made just like the permatorque blues that you'd buy for a sbc. That style gasket isn't suited for use between dissimilar metals (aluminum and cast) because the difference in expansion physically damages the gasket and causes the gasket to fail quickly. The last felpro gasket for a TD that I saw wasn't like that. It was one of the graphite coated deals that closely resembled a mp gasket. That one seemed like it would do pretty good.
Having said that, I think I'll stick with the mp gasket since it's been proven time and again to work well.