PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code Gremlins

PunKid
08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Been fighting some fault codes for a while now on my 85GLH-T and lately they have been getting worse.

It all started with a code 54 for the distributor sync, I got a new HEP and worked great until the warm weather. It was on and off again.

What I have done, all seamed to help somewhat.

Went through the harness from the distributor connects to the connectors under the battery and verified no breaks and reloamed it.
Cleaned the connectors and spread the male prongs to promote a good connection to the female side.
Took apart Distributor and shimed it up slightly to remove the little bit up and down slop. (no side to side slop)
Cleaned and greased all the connectors under the battery and going to the LM.

All this helped with a hot miss fire at idle, but the code keeps showing up.

now in the last two weeks I have been getting on and off again codes 23,24,34,54. So I am thinking it can't be a bad, Air Temp, TPS, EGR solienoid, and a bad HEP (again). Now I am wondering if I have a grounding issue or maybe a bad computer.

What other connectors could I inspect? do any of these go through the bulkhead connector? or maybe my fuseable links (although they all look fine)

But even with all these problems it drives great and gets 29mpg, just a little miss fire sometimes at idle.

PunKid
08-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Also does the LM need a ground? And the board is a little loose in side of the case anyone stick like foam in there to lock it down better?

shackwrrr
08-02-2011, 05:30 PM
the LM I had from FWD had card stock in the groove that the connector lays in to firm it up.

black86glhs
08-02-2011, 11:27 PM
I have tweaked the LM connectors on mine before to get rid of odd codes and funny running situations. I have also had 2 bad LMs that caused the same type of problems.