PDA

View Full Version : headlamps for l-body

errol
07-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi all i'm seeking info on any upgrades u might have regarding l-body headlamps,a few yrs ago i got a pair from rallylights.com,they looked alright as lights go and used an h4 bulb (i think) however they just were'nt bright,so I'm wondering if there'er anyone that makes upgraded lamps I'd be able to use on my rebuild project.Thx all.Regards Errol

I think this thread needs to be moved.

Errol, did you relay in the lights? Just upgrading to the Hella e-code lights won't necessarily throw anymore light on the road. The beam pattern is much improved though. But all the power for the headlights has to go through the light switch in our cars. And depending on how old/bad your wiring is you can lose A LOT of light output because of it. Voltage loss vs. light output is exponential so if you lose like 10% of your alternator output voltage by the time it get's to the lights you lose something like 20-30% of your light output. By relaying in the lights you get all that voltage to the lights and really increase the light output. My daytona was only getting 9v to the E-code lights. I relayed them in and and now put more light on the ground than BMW's and Lexus' with their HID's.

roachjuice
07-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Hi all i'm seeking info on any upgrades u might have regarding l-body headlamps,a few yrs ago i got a pair from rallylights.com,they looked alright as lights go and used an h4 bulb (i think) however they just were'nt bright,so I'm wondering if there'er anyone that makes upgraded lamps I'd be able to use on my rebuild project.Thx all.Regards Errol

Silverstar replacements.

errol
09-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi again gents,in relaying the h/lights,do u do both hi/low beams or just the low's,in looking @the diagram seems to me that u'd require two relays to make both beams work,was toying with the diagrams last night and even with diodes i could'nt figure how to use one rly.to accomplish connecting both beams. Wondered if anyone had done the wiring with one rly.Thx gents.Regards.Errol

wallace
09-27-2011, 08:27 AM
You'll need two relays one for the low and one for the high. Makes a big difference, you won't be disappointed.

contraption22
09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
There are many bulb upgrades available for H4 bulbs, including 100-110 w bulbs vs your standard 55w. But as stated above, you don't want to do anything like that until you wire in relays. The OE harnesses shouldn't be trusted to handle that kind of load, especially at 25 years old.

errol
09-27-2011, 11:33 PM
thx gents.i'll hop to it.regards errol

supercrackerbox
09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Silverstar replacements.

I'll never waste money on Silverstars again. Twice the money for less than half the life expectancy.

roachjuice
09-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I'll never waste money on Silverstars again. Twice the money for less than half the life expectancy.

Ive had good results with them.