PDA

View Full Version : New L-body fuel lines

jeff1234
07-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Hello all!
Recently I noticed a fuel drip under my 1985 Shelby Charger. Inspection revealed that my return line had sprung a leak. I've made lines before but I wanted the lines to be just like the factory stuff so I called Fine Lines in Ohio. They make fuel and brake lines for 60"s and 70's muscle cars. They said they could make a set so I removed my lines and shipped them to Fine lines to use as a pattern. When I received them back they were identical to the stockers with the exception of the ends of the lines where the hoses are retained. These ends require expensive tooling to create and they would need to have a lot of requests for these lines to make the tooling pay for itself. That having been said, I was astonished to find out that the lines were hand made, one at a time, by Bill. They are very accurate reproductions of the lines and can be made in either regular steel or stainless. I paid $237.50 for my set made in regular steel, which also came with 6 each of the correct body clip. Installation was a simple bolt in. Removing your old lines from your L-body is straight forward, IF you have your cylinder head/turbo assembly off. You will have to undo your passenger side brake line and bend them out of the way because the fuel lines run under that line at the fire wall. On these older cars removing old lines can always lead to more problems. In my case I had already had reason to cut the line previously so I was able to simply disassemble the connector for the two parts of the line. They dont make brake lines for our cars yet but I'm thinking about possibly sending mine down this winter.

Bill has my old lines hanging his pattern wall and would use mine to bend up your order. I told him that I would be passing the word on to the turbo dodge community and he said he would keep them. If you decide to have a set made talk specifically to Bill, because I doubt that sales will be aware that he can make the lines because they are not catalog items. 1-800-778-8237 $237.50 is alot of money, but if you want lines that bolt in and are accurate
jeff1234

contraption22
07-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Do you know if they can make them in stainless, and in a larger size than stock?

jeff1234
07-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Yes, I know they can make them in stainless, because they always asked which material I wanted. I believe they will make them in larger sizes, but it may come at the cost of making the lines harder to replicate our stock lines. I had thought about making mine larger but stock size is sufficient for my amount of power. Good luck, I hope they can address your needs. If enough people get lines you would almost have to think that at some point the price would come down somewhat.
jeff1234