PDA

View Full Version : BoostButton new product idea...

ShelGame
07-25-2011, 11:37 PM
How many guys out there would want to run a 'chip extender'? Basically, a small board that would allow you to mount your chip in the glovebox, for example. So that you don't have to open up the ECU to swap chips? If I can get 5-10 people interested, I can design/build that setup. I plan to only supply the adapter for each end (ECU and glovebox) and use a standard 25-pin parallel cable that you could buy at the computer store (or may already have) in many different lengths.

So, let me know if you're interested...

Badger
07-26-2011, 12:32 AM
wow...you always come up with cool ideas!

ShelGame
07-26-2011, 07:18 AM
wow...you always come up with cool ideas!

Actually, I stole the idea from Moates.net. But, I think I can make one smaller than his, and I would use a 'regular' cable rather than a ribbon cable. Basically, I would make a pair of boards, and you can buy your own cable at whatever length you need.

csxtra
07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Rob,

That would be a great addition to your product lineup. On LM cars, I have seen intermittent connections occur (causing no start/prime problems) due to pulling the LM in and out multiple times to swap chips.

Years ago I fabbed up a crude chip extender myself, and haven't had to remove the kick panel since. Plus, taking the chip with you when you park the car is a GREAT anti-theft approach (as long as you have a small case so you don't bend the pins on the chip).

I'm assuming you were planning on making it an option to have the remote socket (that goes in the glove box) a ZIF socket?

ShelGame
07-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm assuming you were planning on making it an option to have the remote socket (that goes in the glove box) a ZIF socket?

Yes, a ZIF would be an option.

Also, with this setup, you would have the option to unplug the module from the cable easily (since it is basically like a printer port). You could take the whole module with you instead of just the chip...

Force Fed Mopar
07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah that would be great, especially with a regular round cable like the FourPlay uses so it's easier to route and looks tidier. This would be especially usefull on the SMEC/SBEC cars, as you could mount the chip inside the car much easier, and wouldn't have to raise the hood to get at it everytime, plus it won't be as exposed to the elements.

I'll take one w/ a ZIF socket :)

turbovanmanČ
07-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I love my chip extender. Rob, maybe make it both ways so guys running an Ostrich can still use one. I like the fact I can take out my Ostrich and plug in the chip extender without opening up the SMEC.