PDA

View Full Version : EGT: How high is too high?

Vigo
07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
What is the highest egt you guys are comfortable seeing at WOT and full boost?

bakes
07-25-2011, 08:39 PM
That depends if you have forged pistons or not.

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Forged, 1700, cast, no idea.

contraption22
07-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't even bother reading it anymore. So many variables that it's pretty much useless.

Get a wideband and a knock monitor.

bakes
07-25-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't even bother reading it anymore. So many variables that it's pretty much useless.

Get a wideband and a knock monitor.

I dont use the EGt 's to much for tuning , more of the motors state of health once final tuning is done.

Vigo
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
So many variables that it's pretty much useless.

So you're saying that on the same setup at the same boost you are seeing wildly differing readings?

I dont use the EGt 's to much for tuning

Im just looking for what not to do. If someone could tell me what EGT they saw right before the motor melted that would help also. lol

bakes
07-25-2011, 10:29 PM
1700* for 7 sec @ WOT
1600 *for 20 sec @ WOT
1500* for 2min@ WOT
1400*for 10min@ WOT
1300 * all day long @ WOT

These are not writen in stone but they are my rules.

DodgeZ
07-25-2011, 10:33 PM
EGT.... trash can.

Force Fed Mopar
07-25-2011, 10:35 PM
EGT.... trash can.

Lolz... QFT

slasky
07-26-2011, 09:37 AM
After my 3rd autometer EGT crapped out, I don't pay any attention to it anymore. Wideband is the way to go.

trannybuster
07-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Youll make more power with wideband BUT egt is still a useful tool, but like any tool if used incorrectly not so good. No one who knows what there doing is going to give you that magical number, but I guess if I had to say, and without the aid of wideband 1500f @wot and as Bakes said 2min. Then start reading your plugs and the other signs of a well tuned engine and make changes accordingly. Without wideband, pretty tough!

Pat
07-26-2011, 12:10 PM
EGT has it's uses, but it's not the be all end all of tuning aids. My biggest use for it is for determining how much boost I can run on a given octane level.

For example: I use the wideband to set A/F ratio and knock detection to see how much timing can be run at a given boost/octane level. The EGT then tells me if I pulled too much timing to control knock (retard timing, EGT's go up, advance timing and the EGT's go down). If tuning for a specific octane, then the boost has to go down and timing has to be added back in. Or, keep the boost the same, add more timing and run higher octane fuel.

turbovanmanČ
07-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I also stopped using an EGT gauge. After putting on a G-head years ago, it would read high all the time and no matter what I did, it was high, so I learned to ignore it, then after putting the TIII head on, I guess the probe was damaged and it was intermittant, so I took it out. A trans temp gauge resides there now, much better info, :p

Vigo
07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Nowhere in this thread did i say that the car DOESNT have a wideband. I ALREADY KNOW how to read a wideband. That's why im only asking about the EGT. :p

So far what i'm getting here is 1700 is ok for a few seconds at a time, and 1600 probably wont hurt anything unless you WOT for an entire mile. That counts as helpful to me. :)

Pat, this is how i would LIKE to use it but right now i cant get the old OTC im using to communicate with this cal for knock monitoring. It's not one of Rob's so it doesnt flash CEL.

So far reading 10.5 afr @18psi with low 1600s egt. 12* base timing. No idea on total (no communication). Since it's already rich it's probably benefitting from that as far as temps and since it's at 18psi im thinking one wouldnt want to bump timing without knock monitoring so until we can get knock monitoring functioning my idea is to leave it alone. Thoughts?

Force Fed Mopar
07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Get a real cal? lol

bakes
07-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I think the other thing i suggest is the order in which to fine tune
1. wide band ( aim for 12.0 to 1)
2. basic timing ( tweeaking for knock)
3. cam timing
4 fine tune the igition timing

looking for the lower EGT which suggest it is burrning in the cylinder not in the exhuast.

Pat
07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Nowhere in this thread did i say that the car DOESNT have a wideband. I ALREADY KNOW how to read a wideband. That's why im only asking about the EGT. :p

So far what i'm getting here is 1700 is ok for a few seconds at a time, and 1600 probably wont hurt anything unless you WOT for an entire mile. That counts as helpful to me. :)

Pat, this is how i would LIKE to use it but right now i cant get the old OTC im using to communicate with this cal for knock monitoring. It's not one of Rob's so it doesnt flash CEL.

So far reading 10.5 afr @18psi with low 1600s egt. 12* base timing. No idea on total (no communication). Since it's already rich it's probably benefitting from that as far as temps and since it's at 18psi im thinking one wouldnt want to bump timing without knock monitoring so until we can get knock monitoring functioning my idea is to leave it alone. Thoughts?

I'm with you there...I wouldn't add timing unless you can monitor knock. Not seeing knock means you really dont' know what is going on in there until after the fact.

For A/F, I wouldn't tune to 12:1 as suggested earlier. This is for a cast piston'd 2.5, right? Tune rich. Your ring lands will appreciate it. :-)

For EGT, I've tried to hover around 1550-1600. I've been hotter, but the car hasn't gone any faster that way. If I were you, I'd lean it to 11.2-11.3, no knock and try to get the EGT's to the 1550 range. You can then inch it hotter and/or leaner, but if the car doesn't get any faster or pick up any more power, there's no need to run it closer to the edge than you need to.

If you want to run more octane, you really have to start the tune over to get the most out of it.

Just my opinion, but I think that's a good starting point.

cordes
07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I use my EGT gauge to tune in the manner Pat suggests. I think it is quite valuable in that role.

tsiconquest88
07-26-2011, 06:35 PM
if you have a t3 1600-1700 is typical actually.

BIG PSI
07-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Good information !!!!

Thanks
Chuck