PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Bushing Instillation Tech

89FerrariShelby
07-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Evening guys,
Searched the forum, and couldn't come up with a thread on this. Some small mentions here and there, but thought if everyone was willing to help, it could be consolidated.

I managed to blow the shifter bushing off the back of the transmission on my Spirit R/T during some spirited driving. Pat was super helpful in helping me diagnose the issue and track down the replacement parts.

This past weekend i attempted to re-install the new bushing I recieved. But after an hour of scraping, pushing, crying, and banging my head against the car, it wouldn't go on.

I read about boiling. I boiled the bushing for 15 minutes, then got nervous i was going to melt it, so stopped that (i melted my first 3 mouth guards when i joined the lacrosse team). Was that too short?

I oiled up the end of the "shaft" coming out of the tranny...no help.

I put the hairdryer on it for 30 minutes, still wouldn't go over.

I can barely squeeze my hand in there, but I don't think i'm going to gain much room unless i dismantle stuff, and i'm hoping that's not necessary (i already have one car on jackstands, gutted from the bottom).

Who knows, maybe i did all i can and its just a matter of keep on trying til it magically works for once. But i wanted to check in with the experts before i hurt myself trying it. =)

Thanks in advance guys. I love the knowledge on this site. I can honestly say if it wasn't for this site i would have been out of the TM game awhile ago (still trying to decide if that's a good or bad thing, but i've convinced myself its good for now...lol).
:lol:

Directconnection
07-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Never did it on a T-III, but did on my T-IV and a 3.0 V-6 Sundance. Can't remember if I ende dup taking off the intercooler hoses or not, but I think I needed a set of needle nose pliers to pop it on. One jaw under the metal lever, and the other on the poly bushing.

shackwrrr
07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Big pair of channellocks and squeeze the bushing in the cable end (lip away from trans pin). Then take the channellocks and squeeze the thing onto the pin.

89FerrariShelby
07-25-2011, 07:14 AM
interesting, will have to try again this afternoon. I've been attempting it in Neutral...any of the gears work better or is neutral the way to go?

Directconnection
07-25-2011, 12:06 PM
which ever position it takes to get the pliers in there better.

Pat
07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
+1 on the channel locks.

cordes
07-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Channel locks are the only way I've been able to keep them on too.