PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent charging issues.

Big_P
07-18-2011, 08:28 PM
85 LeBaron 2.2 TBI Auto.

I bought it knowing it had a charging system problem (along with a bum starter). It's had problems charging on-and-off. I'll drive it for a couple days and it'll be fine, then the "Charge" light illuminates and voltage drops to battery voltage.

Swapped in an alternator I had kicking around and it still does it.

If I ground the tiny nut on the alternator harness (the one closest to the ground) and full field that SOB, it charges.

LM or PM problem, likely?

What external voltage regulators do you guys use? Thanks.

mark
07-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I had problems like that years ago, it was the PM.

ATaylorRacing
07-19-2011, 12:01 AM
You might just want to at least clean the connections to the voltage regulator...just in case. The last two times that I changed my alternators the Matchbox would not charge, until I wiggled the wires on the VR...I had both alternators checked out and both were junk anyhow. I have used racing voltage regulators and el cheapo ones with no differences so far.

Big_P
07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
I thought it was part of the PM or LM. Where is it located?

turbovanmanČ
07-21-2011, 02:56 AM

Reg is part of the PM, LM is simply the "computer" on these.

mark
07-21-2011, 05:01 PM

its the one between the battery and the drivers fender

Big_P
07-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Aha. Got a check engine light on now (saw that coming) but wired in the new VR and all is well. Napa's cheapest VR was $39. Got an identical one from Rock Auto for $7. That's what I call a deal.

wallace
07-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Aha. Got a check engine light on now (saw that coming) but wired in the new VR and all is well. Napa's cheapest VR was $39. Got an identical one from Rock Auto for $7. That's what I call a deal.

What VR did you use from Rock Auto? Going to be doing this myself. Any info appreicated. Thanks.

BlueShadow
07-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I used the one for 70-90s Chrysler products, to be safe just quote something like 72 Challenger at the parts store. It has 2 pins and grounds through the body. I think its the one most commonly installed. Worked great until I replaced the SBEC. $7 from RA, should be VR1 or VR125T etc

Big_P
07-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Something else that's cool!

Instead of wiring the "Ignition" wire to the ignition switch like I had done before, I wired it to the other small nut on the alternator (the one that isn't the Field wire). It's got 12v when the key is "on". No more check engine light and it charges fine.