PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Stealth R/T TT

Turbo224
07-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I asked this question over at 3si.org, but I figure there are a lot of people over here who might have some experience. Has anyone ever owned or worked with the Stealth R/T twin turbo? I know the transmission on these tend to have problems and can be very expensive to fix, but is there anything else on these cars that is problematic? They obviously have a lot of potential, I just wonder why I don't see more Shelby-Dodge owners who also own Stealths.

CoolV300C
07-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I think your reference to expensive parts explains it pretty well. We're all cheap.Thread closed.

cordes
07-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I think your reference to expensive parts explains it pretty well. We're all cheap.Thread closed.

They ask too much for the cars themselves IMO. I've seen more than a few wanting real money for cars that have been beaten badly.

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Parts are friggin expensive and some are extremely hard to find, case in point, my alignment shop next door is working on one, not a TT, needs ball joint, need the control arm, damn near impossible to find and the ones he did, $950.

Turbo224
07-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I figured expensive parts must be on top of the "cons" list. Its seems like there were enough of them made that it shouldn't be a problem to find parts. There were a ton fewer T3 car built and I think there are plenty of available parts if you really needed them. I understand the trans and transfer case seem to have problems, but anyone know how the motor itself hold up? Any common problems there?

Other than the 3000gt, are there any other cars that these cars share parts with, like the Galant or Diamante?

dodgeshadowchik
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
These cars are beautiful... but heavy and expensive.

They actually are not bad and tend to be quite reliable. The trans was really the only real problem area. There's 3 main "versions." A SOHC, DOHC N/A and an TT DOHC. All are 6g72 variants. The SOHC engine has quite a bit in common with the SOHC 3.0L found in the various Chrysler K-cars. I *believe* the 3s version runs a higher compression and may actually be interference whereas the Chrysler version is not. The DOHC ones are interference engines.

From what I've heard.. the twin turbo one is a REAL PITA to work on. However, I'm sure if you work on them enough you learn the tricks.

As far as other platforms.. the Diamante did get both versions of the 3.0L engine, but that's a different platform. The 3000gt/Stealth is pretty much it as to cars you can swipe parts from.

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I figured expensive parts must be on top of the "cons" list. Its seems like there were enough of them made that it shouldn't be a problem to find parts. There were a ton fewer T3 car built and I think there are plenty of available parts if you really needed them. I understand the trans and transfer case seem to have problems, but anyone know how the motor itself hold up? Any common problems there?

Other than the 3000gt, are there any other cars that these cars share parts with, like the Galant or Diamante?

BUT our chassis's and various other parts were made in the millions and for many years, we can swap alot around, TIII's are a unique and limited but still at this time, easyish to find, :p

Vigo
07-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Expensive parts and unforgiving motors. Ive seen a few for sale that people broke by trying to do their own timing belts and misaligned one of the 8 pulleys. The Dohc tend to develop oiling problems. I have met 3s enthusiasts who say new bottom end bearings and new oil pump at 120k should be considered normal. Most of the cheap ones have bottom end problems.

Massive potential, though. The intake ports on those heads flow as well as LS7 heads, and have smaller cylinders to feed.

Force Fed Mopar
07-18-2011, 10:33 PM
They are like RX-7's - reliable and relatively cheap IF you keep them maintained properly. Expensive shop ornaments if you don't. They are heavy, which makes them not so great for drag racing or auto-x, but they make killer highway cars from what I know. And if you have the money....

My only beef is they are made for small short people. My head is almost in the roof of the R/T that's at the shop right now :( And the wheel doesn't tilt up enough to easily get under either.

intheloop
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I owned a 93 tt stealth and I think I changed transmissions more frequently than oil. These cars are ----.

j4278h
07-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Take the money you were going to use to purchase the TT and set it on fire. The burnt money will at least give you some warmth for a few seconds, which will be light years longer than the car will stay running.

They are nice/somewhat reliable if left stock and had maintenance history, but you are better off finding a unicorn before that one.

Vigo
07-19-2011, 01:14 AM
They are heavy, which makes them not so great for drag racing or auto-x,

Speaking of how heavy cars cant handle...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/dragmkd/94%20arospeed%20gbx5/IMG_2589.jpg
R/T TT, ~3700 lbs

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/coupes/1005_2011_bmw_m3_first_drive/29307412+pheader/2011-BMW-M3-competition-track-2.jpg
2011 M3, ~3700 lbs.

Force Fed Mopar
07-19-2011, 08:44 AM
I wonder who will win between those two? :) I didn't say that all heavy cars can't handle, or that the Stealth can't be made to handle. Hence my "If you have the money..." statement ;)

Turbo224
07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Despite the obvious drawbacks, I am still intrigued with these cars and would love to own one. I think if I were going to buy one I would have to find a low mile unmodified car, or one that came with a long list maintenance receipts. I'm a pretty firm believer that anything can be reliable so long as it gets maintained regularly and isn't beat to hell. So, what kind of response do you think I would get if I got on any other car forum and asked about the reliability of shelby dodges? :wow1:

dodgeshadowchik
07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
here you go:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2488713802.html

Perfect example of a good one... and of course comes with a hefty price tag. But the 2g (94-96 on the dodge side... 94 to 99 on the mitsu side) are the ones to have. They got a 4-bolt main, along with the 6-speed trans. The earlier ones were 2-bolt mains with a 5-speed.

Turbo224
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
here you go:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2488713802.html

Perfect example of a good one... and of course comes with a hefty price tag. But the 2g (94-96 on the dodge side... 94 to 99 on the mitsu side) are the ones to have. They got a 4-bolt main, along with the 6-speed trans. The earlier ones were 2-bolt mains with a 5-speed.

That's a good looking Stealth, but I think I prefer the 91-93 first gen Stealth's. If you get the 93 you still get the 4 bolt mains and the better 25 spline transfer case. The only thing you miss out on is the 6 speed trans. After looking on ebay and autotrader, there are actually quite a few low mile Stealths available.

dodgeshadowchik
07-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Get one then report back with pics. :D

Vigo
07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
I didn't say that all heavy cars can't handle, or that the Stealth can't be made to handle. Hence my "If you have the money..." statement

Heh, wasnt picking on you in particular, it's just that i think people's beef about the 3si's being overly heavy is a little outdated considering some of the baddest and best handling new cars out there weigh about as much.

For example, the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang which is regarded as a road-race car right off the dealer lot, only weighs 100lb less than an Awd 3si.