PDA

View Full Version : turbo removal

mark
07-16-2006, 03:20 PM
The manual says the turbo has to come out the bottom of the car. after looking at it, can it come out the top? or is that impossible.

86Shelby
07-16-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't see why it would have to come out the bottom. I was able to take the hybrid off my R/T right out the top, nothing was in it's way that wasn't able to be quickly moved or unbolted.

mark
07-17-2006, 08:49 AM
excellent. i think the manual is referencing the turboI blow thru . which would make more sense...

thanks!

bansheenut420
07-17-2006, 09:45 AM
The manual does say it needs to come out through the bottom. It can come out the top, you can undo the front motor mount and it will make it possible. BUT just from experience I remcomend doing it the way the manual says minus the wheel well dust sheild crap. If its the stock turbo and has not been off the car in a LONG time, the bolts will be so hard to remove esp. if taking off the manifold. Not to mention how hard it is to get the coolant line started without any room from the bottom. You can get away with the passenger side axle and inter. shaft. It does take a bit longer, but in the end it saved me time. Just my .02 :nod:

Scottmon
07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I've taken them out the top, no problem. TIII is easy, TI and TII would be a lot more of a challenge. And as far as frozen turbo bolts and nuts go, start soaking them with PB Blaster about a week ahead of time if you can let the car sit.

mark
07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
my thinking exactly :)

the turbo was off around 5-8k miles ago so the bolts arent that bad looking.
started soaking them 2 days ago with my buddy PB :)

I've taken them out the top, no problem. TIII is easy, TI and TII would be a lot more of a challenge. And as far as frozen turbo bolts and nuts go, start soaking them with PB Blaster about a week ahead of time if you can let the car sit.

mark
07-17-2006, 04:36 PM
my thinking exactly :)

the turbo was off around 5-8k miles ago so the bolts arent that bad looking.
started soaking them 2 days ago with my buddy PB :)

mark
07-17-2006, 04:37 PM
sorry, i have a split personality, and they both agreed.

86Shelby
07-17-2006, 08:37 PM
And I thought your buddy PB was just that important...;)

mark
07-17-2006, 08:43 PM
got it out with no problems through the top!