PDA

View Full Version : Starter interchangeability.

Big_P
07-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Hi all.

85 LeBaron 2.2 n/a, auto. Bought it with a bad starter (armature didn't come out to spin the engine, just spun in place), put in a Napa "Remanufactured" starter and it drags like hell after a long drive. Sometimes it won't start and I'll have to sit and let it cool. It's also friggin' enormous.

I also have an 89 2.5t motor/trans with a rebuilt starter in there too. Last I recall the starters were different, but I could be wrong. This was the nippondenso unit if I remember correctly which was much smaller and easier to replace. It also turns the motor over with authority.

Do they interchange, or no? thanks.

RoadWarrior222
07-15-2011, 11:54 PM
I wanna say that '85 and prior had a different flexplate, so maybe not, also '89 will be a common block. But that's just what sticks to my cursor rifling threads, need some authoritative input.

Vigo
07-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Yes they all interchange. The smaller ones are way better imo. The flexplate changed after 85 but not on the ring gear.. the change was due to the number of crank bolts and converter bolts. The flexplates dont look anything alike but they are the same as far as the starter is concerned.

black86glhs
07-16-2011, 01:12 AM
I have a Nip unit in the omni, much better than the heavy --- Bosch unit.

Big_P
07-16-2011, 05:48 PM
I could have sworn that I had to get a new starter when I went from an 85 auto trans to a 90 auto trans because one of the bolt holes in the starter was threaded or something like that whereas on the 85 starter they were not. Maybe I was wrong?

I'm also going to remove all this air pump crap, it's all in the way of the starter. What a pain in the --- to get that big honkin' thing out of there. And I have to do it all over again because my remanned Napa starter is a pile of garbage. I thought I got a deal, $35.99 for a remanufactured starter.

supercrackerbox
07-16-2011, 05:59 PM
I think there were some differences with the mounting bolts, but I don't remember exactly which is which. You may have to remove a stud and use a bolt or vice-versa. Either way, it's just a simple hardware change and it bolts right in. Bolt patterns themselves were the same.

Also, the electrical connectors may have to be modified slightly.

Big_P
07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Got it. Guess I got tomorrow's project scheduled! Thanks guys.

RoadWarrior222
07-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I thought I got a deal, $35.99 for a remanufactured starter.

Well that's the problem,
cheap part = POS,
not so cheap part = Probably a POS part priced up,
bloody expensive part = 50% chance of being a POS part priced up.

Filter by "Where's it made?" "What is the warranty?"

IF they say "Well we never have any returns" it means either
a) I can't believe we're still selling this, if a customer gets his hands on it we won't see him again for this issue for a DECADE or more!!!! (Rare)
b) it's so frigging cheap it's not worth anyone's time returning it. (common)
c) it's so frigging nasty, despite being a reasonable price that you'd think people would want back, that they don't wanna be forced into taking an exchange of the same POS that they wish they never let within 10 mile of their car... even if we weren't gonna try and weasel out of the warranty. (common)
d) No one has yet managed to decypher our return policy (common)

turbovanmanČ
07-16-2011, 07:07 PM
ANY 2.2/2.5 starter interchanges, the only difference is size and some had threaded holes, some don't, so some minor drilling might be needed.

Big huge :nod: on the Nippo, smaller, lighter, faster and it has a built in heat shield.

Big_P
07-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Well that's the problem,
cheap part = POS,
not so cheap part = Probably a POS part priced up,
bloody expensive part = 50% chance of being a POS part priced up.

Filter by "Where's it made?" "What is the warranty?"

IF they say "Well we never have any returns" it means either
a) I can't believe we're still selling this, if a customer gets his hands on it we won't see him again for this issue for a DECADE or more!!!! (Rare)
b) it's so frigging cheap it's not worth anyone's time returning it. (common)
c) it's so frigging nasty, despite being a reasonable price that you'd think people would want back, that they don't wanna be forced into taking an exchange of the same POS that they wish they never let within 10 mile of their car... even if we weren't gonna try and weasel out of the warranty. (common)
d) No one has yet managed to decypher our return policy (common)

Well, list price is about a hundred bucks, I just get an awesome discount.

supercrackerbox
07-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I've got the NipponDenso starter rebuilt by a near legendary local shop on my Daytona, and the other gear reduction starter (sorry, no coffee yet) on my Charger was rebuilt by Lugert. Neither has given me a hint of trouble.

I've also got the big style one which was a Cardone reman sitting in a box under my workbench because it wouldn't work if the weather got below freezing. Needless to say O'Reilly's was unwilling to moving their test bench outside for a test, so they wouldn't warranty it.

RoadWarrior222
07-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Well, list price is about a hundred bucks, I just get an awesome discount. and 2/3 discount on $100 doesn't make you suspicious that they probably pay $20 for it shipped from Shanghai?

89FerrariShelby
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
and 2/3 discount on $100 doesn't make you suspicious that they probably pay $20 for it shipped from Shanghai?

this

i don't care how much business you give, or how close you are, they're not giving it to you for less than they pay, they wouldn't be in business if they were....

so if you got it for 35, it costs them less than 35, that's a guarantee

minigts
07-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I have a Nip unit in the omni, much better than the heavy --- Bosch unit.

Which is the Nip one? I'm assuming it's smaller than the Bosch? That would be great if the footprint is smaller.

BlueShadow
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Ive got 4 spare (albeit broken) starters, and we've got 3 TDs, how come they are all Bosch? Was there particular years for the nippo? (Mine have come from various cars 86 to 94)

Looked it up and the nippondenso is shorter then the bosch by quite a bit. The nip looks a bit bulkier tho. Because of this, is it actually easier to get it out?

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Ive got 4 spare (albeit broken) starters, and we've got 3 TDs, how come they are all Bosch? Was there particular years for the nippo? (Mine have come from various cars 86 to 94)

Looked it up and the nippondenso is shorter then the bosch by quite a bit. The nip looks a bit bulkier tho. Because of this, is it actually easier to get it out?

They are very compact, like half the size, and cake to get out. Come by the shop, I'll show you one.

They came on mid 80's, but the listings ask for a Bosch or Nippo, so choose Nippo.

black86glhs
07-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Which is the Nip one? I'm assuming it's smaller than the Bosch? That would be great if the footprint is smaller.Yeah Jon, it is a good bit smaller than the bosch unit. Plus, it should come with it's own heat shield.:thumb:

BlueShadow
07-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Interesting, I like the integrated heat shield idea (instead of the crusty tinfoil)
Gotta love this forum, always learning new things...

tryingbe
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
I never had any problem with any BOSCH starter, and I live in Phoenix.

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
I never had any problem with any BOSCH starter, and I live in Phoenix.

I did but only due to not having the heat shield, once I put one on, no issues but I needed the Nippo for clearance years ago and now need the clearance with the TIII header.