PDA

View Full Version : what is this, and why is it leaking fuel?

firebaron90
07-14-2011, 10:46 PM

Hello all,

What is this? Some kind of fuel tank vent? I have never seen this on any of my other TD's At start up, it was leaking like a faucet for about 30 seconds, then stopped. it is the thing bolted to the frame in the center of the pict. It has a black nipple cap on it, and it is dry rotted. I will replace it, but why was fuel leaking from it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

RoadWarrior222
07-14-2011, 11:02 PM
It's supposed to be a drain i think, and the cap on it is probably knackered.

It wouldn't normally leak much I wouldn't think unless the tank is right full or you've been throwing it around a lot. But the other end goes to a bottom corner of the tank, so you can use it to drain the tank when you get it started by suction.

A.J.
07-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I've seen that cap dry rot and leak on quite a few. Then again any kind of rubber doesn't last too long here in the desert. I don't know what it's for. Just put a new cap on there and call it done.

A.J.

bakes
07-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I've seen that cap dry rot and leak on quite a few. Then again any kind of rubber doesn't last too long here in the desert. I don't know what it's for. Just put a new cap on there and call it done.

A.J.
dont forget the clamp.

Force Fed Mopar
07-14-2011, 11:38 PM
WTF is that hyd cyl for??

firebaron90
07-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info. The gas tank wasat a 1/4 tank and the time, and it was only at start up. Doesnt do it ofter it has been running for a while. Oh well. Newcap it is.

Joe

RoadWarrior222
07-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Repeat after me, "There is no hydraulic cylinder" ... Hey look, a seagull!!!

But I guess you could be looking at the load sensing valve :D

turbovanmanČ
07-16-2011, 09:44 PM

Its not hydraulic, it spring device, it attachs the leaf spring to an adjustable prop valve for the rear brakes, so depending on load, the rears aren't too aggressive or don't work at all.

Force Fed Mopar
07-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Ah, it's a minivan. angle was odd, confuzzled me :D

firebaron90
07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Ok I think i have it licked. My vote is that it is a pressure relief line from the tank. I noticed yesterday that i was leaving a trail of gasoline behind me, and when I stopped, gas was puking out of the line. I removed the gas cap and I heard the sound of pressure relief. Keft the cap off and the leak stopped. So I capped the line with a fresh cap, and put a new gas cap on. Seems to have solved it.

Joe

RoadWarrior222
07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Hum, maybe your gas cap is screwed.... that's what is supposed to do that.

firebaron90
07-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok maybe not. G/F used the van today and it started to leak. When I took the old cap off, it didnt leak, and then after I replaced the cap it didnt seem to leak. Now here is where I get blasted from you guys. The van is TBI, and I have a Walboro 255 LPH pump in there, so I am pretty sure that is why the tank is overly pressureized. Maybe if I dont run a gas cap? Thoughts. ( fuel pump went bad, had planned to put this in after the turbo motor installed, but local gas station gave me some bad gas, and killed old pump. Needed to get it running).

Joe

RoadWarrior222
07-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Well... the motor is also supposed to indirectly pull vacuum on the tank through the charcoal cannister to stop pressure build up and recover vapors... that messed up, blanked off, etc?

Force Fed Mopar
07-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Bigger pump won't cause that. I think RW222 is on to something. Unhook the line from the canister (right front inner fender behind the headlight) that comes from the tank and blow air pressure through it, make sure it's clear.

firebaron90
07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I wasnt sure.. this issue started after the pump went in. I will check the lines.

Joe

Vigo
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the tank should never be pressurized unless your EVAP system is broken. The pump wont pressurize the tank.