PDA

View Full Version : Testing the AIS?

minigts
07-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know which pins receive voltage to power the AIS motor and can confirm the number of volts? I'm trying to test one off the car and the wires going to it, one shows +12v, so I'm assuming it will accept 12v, but which pin? I've tried (with a fused wire) to put 12v to it and then ground the others and nothing happens. And when I say nothing, I mean no spark, no noise, no blown fuse, etc.

Thoughts?

minigts
07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Another question would be, when the AIS is powered up when you start the car, does it move at all or is it supposed to move or do anything? I have two. One makes a noise like it's trying to do something inside, but nothing happens. The other does absolutely nothing at all when you power the car on. Just trying to determine what this thing does in it's personal time and when it's alone.

cordes
07-15-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm pretty sure it moves around when you get ready to start it as it is anticipating the position it needs to be at during start up vs. normal operation at temp.

minigts
07-15-2011, 09:25 AM
I really hope that is the case. Because if it is, that is a pretty good indication that my AIS is bad, both of the two I tried. :(

trannybuster
07-15-2011, 05:03 PM
I dont even run one, and I dont notice the diff, but I have it pretty much turned off in the cal just in case..It is a pita when setting timing, once the sensor is unplugged it about wants to die so I just adjust idle with the set screw then time.

minigts
07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
So you have the AIS port plugged or something? Not sure how you don't have one? Or just don't have it plugged up? Again, I need to test the ones I have to see if they are good. Just need to get confirmation that the AIS DOES do something like move when powered up. If so, I have 2 bad ones.

trannybuster
07-15-2011, 10:15 PM
So you have the AIS port plugged or something? Not sure how you don't have one? Or just don't have it plugged up? Again, I need to test the ones I have to see if they are good. Just need to get confirmation that the AIS DOES do something like move when powered up. If so, I have 2 bad ones.

I run a 70mm Edelbrock TB and it has no ais plug, maybe thats the differnce, so my wires are plugged into nothing. Perhaps you could plug it. I set min voltage so high itll neve be active.

raccoon
07-15-2011, 11:22 PM
its a stepper motor, you cant just apply 12volts to make it do things.

Shadowv4l
07-15-2011, 11:27 PM
When i had to test one i gave it some juce and moved it all the way in and all the way out to make sure it could make the full swing, then i plugged it into the car with it still removed and watched it as the car made the adjustment to make sure the computer and circuit was working properly. If it doesnt move at all when you give it power and ground then something is definetly wrong with the stepper motor in the AIS unit.

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-16-2011, 09:53 AM
there's 2 sets of coils in there that you can measure the resistance on (forget the #'s off hand , they are in the how to tune chyrsler fuel injection book)
also for a couple bucks you can get a NOID light from napa that plugs into your harness
It's a couple of leds on a plug that you should see flashing when the computer is calling for adjustment in the AIS
as stated above the AIS is a dual coil stepper motor that recieves a certain about of pulses (each pulse moves it a increment) I think there's something like 356 "steps"

Stepper motors don't know what position they're in
So for most applications it isn't a good idea to move a stepper motor by hand
I'd imagine thought that our cars close to the AIS , reset it's "home" position then reopen
Just a quick rundown on Steppers

cordes
07-16-2011, 11:12 AM
there's 2 sets of coils in there that you can measure the resistance on (forget the #'s off hand , they are in the how to tune chyrsler fuel injection book)
also for a couple bucks you can get a NOID light from napa that plugs into your harness
It's a couple of leds on a plug that you should see flashing when the computer is calling for adjustment in the AIS
as stated above the AIS is a dual coil stepper motor that recieves a certain about of pulses (each pulse moves it a increment) I think there's something like 356 "steps"

Stepper motors don't know what position they're in
So for most applications it isn't a good idea to move a stepper motor by hand
I'd imagine thought that our cars close to the AIS , reset it's "home" position then reopen
Just a quick rundown on Steppers

Thanks Bruce. Not only was that very informative, but it reminded me that I own that Chrysler FWD EFI handbook.

minigts
07-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Well as much as it pains me to say it, it's another wiring issue. :( One of the wires for the AIS on the plug backed out, so that wasn't making contact and therefore, was not allowing the AIS to adjust properly.

I went to the yard and bought 3 spares JUST in case and tested all of them. Decided to check the plug and sure enough the one wire was backed out not making contact. The good thing is one of the sensors I pulled was fully closed so it is keeping the idle down until I have a chance to fix it. I adjusted the throttle plate for idle and it's idling quietly now. :)

Thanks to everyone who supplied either good ideas or advice.

cordes
07-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Well as much as it pains me to say it, it's another wiring issue. :( One of the wires for the AIS on the plug backed out, so that wasn't making contact and therefore, was not allowing the AIS to adjust properly.

I went to the yard and bought 3 spares JUST in case and tested all of them. Decided to check the plug and sure enough the one wire was backed out not making contact. The good thing is one of the sensors I pulled was fully closed so it is keeping the idle down until I have a chance to fix it. I adjusted the throttle plate for idle and it's idling quietly now. :)

Thanks to everyone who supplied either good ideas or advice.

Glad to hear it. You live in a warm enough climate that not having an AIS really isn't too big of a deal. It wont take much to fix it either though.