PDA

View Full Version : Stratus Evaporator Core

RattFink
07-12-2011, 08:48 PM
So, the old dependable daily driver 99 Stratus needs some A/C work. A few years back the compressor went out and I replaced it with a Napa re-man. The A/C never worked as good as stock after that, but it worked enough. Last summer I took it to work and did a quick recover/vacuum/re-charge. It got me through the summer just fine. This year at the beggining of summer I noticed it lacking again. With this hot weather lately it is not working at all. The compressor comes on but the A/C barely gets cold. The compressor does not cycle at all, just stays on the whole time. I am sure there is a leak in the system. I will probably bring it to work this week and add some dye and re-charge it. What worries me is that when I first start the car after sitting and turn the A/C on I can smell freon coming out from the vents for a few minutes..... So I am curious if anybody has ever done an evaporator on one of these and can tell me what I'm in for. My Haynes manual says the dash needs to come out, not looking forward to that.

slowneon
07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Dash assmbly has to come out. Its not to bad just take your time and take pics so you dont have to remember where everything goes.