PDA

View Full Version : adding Aux input to 03 radio

bakes
07-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I need to add a Aux input to my 03 Dodge ram 3500 i went to install my old FM modulator and they changed the antenna port so im SOL on the old unit but i can get a module to plug in the back to i was looking at this model , or if you know of a better one post it please.

http://www.dealtime.com/Pie-Pie-CHRY02-AUX-Auxiliary-Input-Adapter-2002-05-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Vehicles-with-CD-Changer-Control-Behind-The-Radio/info

contraption22
07-10-2011, 09:18 PM
For my '04 SRT-4, I bought a device from crutchfeild that plugs into your CD changer control port on the back of the head unit, and uses that for up to two AUX inputs. Of course, it doesn't allow you to use a CD changer anymore, but all my old CD's are loaded into my I-pod.

Similar to the device in that link.

bakes
07-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm plugging my 17" laptop into it for my full screen Nav and to access all my tunes on my hard drive Plus the laptop also servs as rear trailer cam.

strang3majik
07-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Since yours is an 03, make sure its the grey plug and not the black round one. They changed it mid year around then.

Its kinda odd, though, because, all the CD changers use the grey plug, but, some of the earlier stereos had an adapter cable that went from the grey plug to the round black one for the back of the radio. So...that being said, either way I'm sure it can be made to work.

Meant to add...this is for the round style radios. Pretty sure the square ones were all the round style plug.

bakes
07-11-2011, 03:05 AM
ya it is the grey square one

ScottD
07-11-2011, 06:35 PM
For my '04 SRT-4, I bought a device from crutchfeild that plugs into your CD changer control port on the back of the head unit, and uses that for up to two AUX inputs. Of course, it doesn't allow you to use a CD changer anymore, but all my old CD's are loaded into my I-pod.

Similar to the device in that link.

So the Chrysler radios only started coming with aux input jacks in 2006?

I have a 2004 SRT-4 that right now I can't listen to my Ipod in. Is this the only way to add an aux input?

contraption22
07-11-2011, 06:40 PM
So the Chrysler radios only started coming with aux input jacks in 2006?

I have a 2004 SRT-4 that right now I can't listen to my Ipod in. Is this the only way to add an aux input?

No, you can also use an FM modulator. But the clarity is compromised, and on long drives, you may have to keep retuning it to new frequencies to get a good signal.

Or you can spend a few dollars more on new head unit with integrated Ipod controls. That's what I would have done back in 2004 had integrated Ipod controls and headunits with front Aux inputs been as cheap as they have become.

Check some of these out.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Car-Receivers.html?tp=5684#&nvpair=FFiPod_Connection|[rank2]Built-in+audio+only&nvpair=AG_Auxiliary_Input|FFFront

ScottD
07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
My anal retentive side wants to keep the stock head unit to keep the disc changer functional. Yet this makes no sense since I boxed up all my CDs not too long ago.

daver
07-11-2011, 07:38 PM
For the og poster: If you're referring to the 03+ antenna connector as compared to the older up through 02 antenna you can get an adapter cable to convert to the new style. I've used these when installing 03+ oem stereos in early 200x Mopars.

For you SRT guys, if you don't mind dumping the CD Changer (assuming the lower dash mounted one which came with the kicker setup) you can get the nice little pocket piece from the non-CD changer equipped Neons. So all looks stock, can shave a little weight, and then use the CD-changer input on the factory stereo with an adapter to have AUX inputs.

bakes
07-11-2011, 07:44 PM
For the og poster: If you're referring to the 03+ antenna connector as compared to the older up through 02 antenna you can get an adapter cable to convert to the new style. I've used these when installing 03+ oem stereos in early 200x Mopars.

For you SRT guys, if you don't mind dumping the CD Changer (assuming the lower dash mounted one which came with the kicker setup) you can get the nice little pocket piece from the non-CD changer equipped Neons. So all looks stock, can shave a little weight, and then use the CD-changer input on the factory stereo with an adapter to have AUX inputs.

Thanks for the info but i looks as im going to go with the AUx input as it has much better sound and it is plug and play and my deck has a cd player in it .

contraption22
07-11-2011, 09:16 PM
My anal retentive side wants to keep the stock head unit to keep the disc changer functional. Yet this makes no sense since I boxed up all my CDs not too long ago.

I'd agree with you if you had to cut anything to install a new head unit, but it's completely reversible. If you already have an Ipod, it costs nothing to load your CD's onto it. I'm currently shopping for a new head unit with Ipod controls, Bluetooth hands free calling, and Aux input or my sateline radio. It just tidys everything up. It annoys me to have to have 2 cables running from my Ipod to the dash (one for charging and one for audio) where an Ipod ready radio will have a USB slot on the front that will allow you to use your Ipod cable for communication and charging at the same time. You can also use a USB thumb drive to store even more audio files if you want.

RoadWarrior222
07-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Or forget the stereo, pull the guts out of a set of amplified 5.1 speakers, mount the input socket(s) put the woofer in the bottom of the console ported out each side and wire the 4 car speakers as front/rear... and use the stereo hole for a DVD player or pull out netbook.

bakes
07-12-2011, 02:27 AM
Or forget the stereo, pull the guts out of a set of amplified 5.1 speakers, mount the input socket(s) put the woofer in the bottom of the console ported out each side and wire the 4 car speakers as front/rear... and use the stereo hole for a DVD player or pull out netbook.
Ah no thanks.......

rich tideswell
07-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Mopar offered an aux input add-on. allows use of cd chnager

82209616AC

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/82209616ac-ipod-interface-kit-511443/

J&H Ryan
07-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Mopar offered an aux input add-on. allows use of cd chnager

82209616AC

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/82209616ac-ipod-interface-kit-511443/AUX or iPod?

RoadWarrior222
07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I read it as offering both in one. iPod connection offers some interface with play controls on car unit, aux/headphone input doesn't.

J&H Ryan
07-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah, but the plugs are different. I went through that whole thread and there is a 3.5mm jack, so it'll work.