PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil, Newer Style

minigts
07-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I have one of the coils off the, I believe, 91 and up cars that is mounted by the themostat. Question is, is this coil generic across all cars or is there a turbo specific one? I bought one at the store the other day and I'm 99% sure it didn't work out of the box, so is there one for turbo and one not for a turbo car? Also, is there a brand preferred over another? Should I just get one at the dealer? Anyone got a part number?

This is the type I have on the car now.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/additional-prod-images/en/US/wl2/C932/8/image/4/

22mopar
07-06-2011, 09:46 AM
That's an "E" type coil. there's nothing special about them turbo vs non-turbo vs 3.0 v-6. even Ford uses the same type coil on everything from a 2.3 turbo SVO mustang to a 460 EFI in a motorhome to a 3.8 v-6 in a Granada. (same part number and all)

Why are you replacing? these rarely ever have problems? The fact you bought a new one and it doesn't work makes me suspect you have problems elsewhere???? All coils use the same principle operation methods. primary circuit and secondary circuit.

Oh and if your going to a parts store and they minimum wage counter jockey asks you "year, make model, engine" I'd think their nifty computer would come up with a part number for that exact application

minigts
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Cool. Any brand I should go with? I bought one from AZ about 6 months ago and I'm pretty sure it didn't work when I installed it. I put it away and didn't use it, since I diagnosed that wasn't the problem anyways, but I'd prefer not to spend $30'ish on a bad brand. Does anyone know if the dealer stocks this or is there a better alternative?

22mopar
07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I personally believe a use OEM one is better than any "new" one since pretty much all the parts store replacements are made in China.

minigts
07-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I may check the dealer to see if they have a new one in stock. The ones I had were from the yard and one for sure was an issue, although it will work. I thought I had three of these at the house, but I can only find 2. :(

91DSX
07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
MSD makes an excellent blaster coil replacement, part number 8228.:thumb:

22mopar
07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
really seems odd that you're having so many problems with so many coils. I've yet to have one of these coils go bad both on the road and in my race car turning 8000+ every week. One car I build in 1994 is still running the same coil you have for 17 years now.

contraption22
07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
MSD makes an excellent blaster coil replacement, part number 8228.:thumb:

This is incorrect. MSD's version of this coil is simply a Chinese made replacement coil in red. It is inferior to the OE coil in my experience. Traced a high boost miss back to this coil. When replaced with an OE coil i pulled from a salvage yard, the high boost miss went away. Do not buy this POS coil. In fact, don't buy any MSD direct fit coils. They're crap.

minigts
07-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Both the ones I use are from the parts yard, the one from AZ like I mentioned, pretty sure the car wouldn't start with that one right out of the box. I'm in some agreement that so many coils going bad is weird. The first one from the yard worked fine when I put it on, the other from the yard has a very bad miss and it IS the coil, as I swapped the two out and tell the difference. And I've had intermittent spark failure with the one I'm sure just bit the dust, but without a known GOOD coil, I have yet to test if that is the main problem or not. Which is why I wanted to know who made a good coil that I could trust to be reliable. Going to get another from the yard is an option, but no guarantee it's good or won't have similar symptoms.

really seems odd that you're having so many problems with so many coils. I've yet to have one of these coils go bad both on the road and in my race car turning 8000+ every week. One car I build in 1994 is still running the same coil you have for 17 years now.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

This is incorrect. MSD's version of this coil is simply a Chinese made replacement coil in red. It is inferior to the OE coil in my experience. Traced a high boost miss back to this coil. When replaced with an OE coil i pulled from a salvage yard, the high boost miss went away. Do not buy this POS coil. In fact, don't buy any MSD direct fit coils. They're crap.

So the dealer it is? Anyone got a good part number for a 90-96 coil, or whatever years they came?

contraption22
07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
So the dealer it is? Anyone got a good part number for a 90-96 coil, or whatever years they came?

Try part number 4176009 if you are gonna get one from a dealer.

I'd get one from a salvage yard tho. These things rarely fail.

minigts
07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Try part number 4176009 if you are gonna get one from a dealer.

I'd get one from a salvage yard tho. These things rarely fail.

Thanks for jinxing me Mike. ;) I had two from the yard. One didn't work properly from the get go, the other seems to have failed me for the last time................admiral! I couldn't resist.

22mopar
07-06-2011, 12:31 PM
If your going to the dealer, I'd think they would have the part number. IDK why you'd need the part number since there are guys/gals working at the dealer parts counter that would use some method to look up the part number:confused2:

contraption: I'm in total agreement with you. MSD is over rated over priced crap. I fell into the MSD hype when I first started racing. Their junk cost me several races. (6AL boxes fry, Blaster coils explode, short or open all kinds of crap)

The stock OEM ignition systems hold up just fine for me 8000+ rpm all day for over 20 years and never had a failure.

minigts
07-06-2011, 12:34 PM
If your going to the dealer, I'd think they would have the part number. IDK why you'd need the part number since there are guys/gals working at the dealer parts counter that would use some method to look up the part number:confused2:

contraption: I'm in total agreement with you. MSD is over rated over priced crap. I fell into the MSD hype when I first started racing. Their junk cost me several races. (6AL boxes fry, Blaster coils explode, short or open all kinds of crap)

The stock OEM ignition systems hold up just fine for me 8000+ rpm all day for over 20 years and never had a failure.

Because I live about 30 minutes one way and I'd rather call and ask to see if they have a part number than try to explain what I'm looking for when I don't know what year the coils were available. Calling and trying to explain I need a coil for a car that I don't know the specifics always ends up in mis-communication, either from my end or theirs. I'll see if that part number is good.

contraption22
07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for jinxing me Mike. ;) I had two from the yard. One didn't work properly from the get go, the other seems to have failed me for the last time................admiral! I couldn't resist.

Hmmm, if you have had two fail already, than I would really be concerned that something else might be causing these failures.

minigts
07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Trust me, I'm with you. I'm not 100% sure it's the coil, but given that the car wouldn't start the other day with the one, then swapping it it did start, I don't know what to think.

contraption22
07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Trust me, I'm with you. I'm not 100% sure it's the coil, but given that the car wouldn't start the other day with the one, then swapping it it did start, I don't know what to think.

A loose pin in the connector?

minigts
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
A loose pin in the connector?

Could be. I know of one electrical issue I have that is somewhat related. It may be causing the coil to fail given that this issue seems to feed power to the car and has in past become suddenly lost and then back again. It's the issue in a thread I have posted from about a year ago. Could be an issue of my own making. However, this coil is dead, as I just tried it again and it still does not work, while the other does. Going to try and correct the problem with the wiring and get another coil. Hopefully it will be corrected by tonight.

22mopar
07-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Hmmm, if you have had two fail already, than I would really be concerned that something else might be causing these failures.

which is exactly what I said a couple times.

I'll bet there isn't a dealer anywhere that will has one in stock.

I've got piles of good used ones $30I'll send you a handful with shipping. all will be off running vehicles and known good.

minigts
07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
which is exactly what I said a couple times.

I'll bet there isn't a dealer anywhere that will has one in stock.

I've got piles of good used ones $30I'll send you a handful with shipping. all will be off running vehicles and known good.

I never doubted your assessment. :) If you have some good ones, I'll take 3 for $30 (shipping or +shipping?). Like I said, my issue is I don't have a good point of reference for a known good one, which was my reason for wanting a new one. But if you have good ones, I'll take a few for spares. :D PM me your Paypal and the total and I'll send you some money today.

turbovanmanČ
07-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Do you have it wired correctly, if you have the wiring backwards, that will cause the failures.

22mopar, the reason some of us want part numbers is simple, the dealer parts guys are usually extremely lazy and won't look up anything odd ball or old. Give it a rest.

minigts
07-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Do you have it wired correctly, if you have the wiring backwards, that will cause the failures.

22mopar, the reason some of us want part numbers is simple, the dealer parts guys are usually extremely lazy and won't look up anything odd ball or old. Give it a rest.

haha Yes, I did have it wired right. That is one thing I had issue with the last time on the blue car with the old coil. Still worked fine, but I made sure this was wired correctly using the 93 FSM in coordination with the 85 LM wiring for positive and negative.

turbovanmanČ
07-06-2011, 02:11 PM
haha Yes, I did have it wired right. That is one thing I had issue with the last time on the blue car with the old coil. Still worked fine, but I made sure this was wired correctly using the 93 FSM in coordination with the 85 LM wiring for positive and negative.

LOL, triple check your actually using the + on the coil, hehehe.

minigts
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Eh, sucks but I was forced to buy one from Napa. The car won't go longer than about 20-30 minutes before the coil starts failing. I fixed the electrical issue. Turns out one of the female pins had a larger hole than the male counter part and was barely making contact. There were seemingly 2 wires like that so I re-terminated both male and female, hopefully that will do it. And what a difference a good coil makes! Man the car doesn't miss at all now and seems to hit a little better than before, so that was definitely one of my problems at SDAC this year. When I head up to Arthur, IL for the International Cheese Festival here around Labor Day, I'll be able to do some tuning at the track close to Cordes' place. :D

contraption22
07-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Excellent. Glad it worked out for you. Might as well return that NAPA part. Probably wont last as long as an OE coil.

minigts
07-06-2011, 11:25 PM
I may just go get one from the yard and carry one with me until this one fails, assuming it will. I sure hope it doesn't, but you never know.

135sohc
07-07-2011, 12:02 AM
These coils were used on lots of other chrysler products during our cars production and until the late 90's. 3.9 V6, 5.2, 5.9 V8's in the Rams, B-vans, Dakota and early Durango's and probably the jeep 4.0 to take a guess. Later ones are slightly bigger because of the plastic shell on them but they work just as well. I grabbed a few extra's when clipping and collecting some spare pigtail connectors.

supercrackerbox
07-07-2011, 03:28 AM
When I originally did the swap on my Charger, I used a coil off a V6 Dodge conversion van. Since then, I've had that coil fail, and the one on my Daytona failed (leaving me with $180 tow bill to boot). I've tried to stick with the factory coils, but have been finding it harder and harder to find ones in the yards that aren't cracked or damaged. Usually, they've already been replaced with aftermarket ones. I didn't know the Fords used them too, I'll keep that in mind. But in the process of chasing down an ignition gremlin in the Charger this spring, I broke down and ordered a Hypertech one from Summit. I don't know if it's actually any better, but it was on sale with free shipping, so I gave it a shot. So far so good.

minigts
07-07-2011, 10:33 PM
When I originally did the swap on my Charger, I used a coil off a V6 Dodge conversion van. Since then, I've had that coil fail, and the one on my Daytona failed (leaving me with $180 tow bill to boot). I've tried to stick with the factory coils, but have been finding it harder and harder to find ones in the yards that aren't cracked or damaged. Usually, they've already been replaced with aftermarket ones. I didn't know the Fords used them too, I'll keep that in mind. But in the process of chasing down an ignition gremlin in the Charger this spring, I broke down and ordered a Hypertech one from Summit. I don't know if it's actually any better, but it was on sale with free shipping, so I gave it a shot. So far so good.

Thanks Adam, I'll look around for a suitable replacement. I saw an Accel one on the Napa site that was about $60 online. I'll check out Summit too and see what the deal is with the Hypertech one. If it's the same company, they are local here to Memphis.

Force Fed Mopar
07-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Knock on wood, I've never had a problem w/ the old canister-type coils :) Not sure why you converted to the newer one.

turbovanmanČ
07-08-2011, 02:03 AM
I do have some Ford style coils, high output, using one on my Jimmy, made a noticeable difference and on my customers work truck when I had his other coil checked out, didn't skip a beat, $60 plus shipping, :nod:

supercrackerbox
07-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Knock on wood, I've never had a problem w/ the old canister-type coils :) Not sure why you converted to the newer one.

Quite simply, my battery now resides in the little pocket where the factory coil was mounted, leaving no room for the coil. I initially had mounted an MSD coil on the cylinder head on an unused AC bracket boss, but that only lasted about 5000 miles. The solid state coil was a simpler, cleaner, logical next step. I do realize that Gary's site says the cannister coils perform better.

minigts
07-08-2011, 04:02 PM

I wanted it located where it is now for consolidation and I don't care for the earlier style way the did things, among LOTS of things on my car.

Force Fed Mopar
07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I wanted it located where it is now for consolidation and I don't care for the earlier style way the did things, among LOTS of things on my car.

Makes no sense to me, but ok :)

contraption22
07-08-2011, 09:03 PM

I agree that the later coil offers a more tidy setup and I didn't like the idea of a long coil wire or mounting a canister coil somewhere on the engine.

shackwrrr
07-08-2011, 11:08 PM
you want to run a hot coil and not have any issues? Take one of these and fab up a mount that uses the pins on the base of the coil (still 2 wires like normal) Ground one tower, and hook the other one to the distributor. They put out 100,000v because they spark 2 spark plugs at a time. Ive made them spark 5 in gaps with a thick blue spark and no issues. Plus they are everywhere.

turbovanmanČ
07-09-2011, 02:52 AM
^^^^^^^Good old GM DIS coil, yep, flame throwers, lol.

shackwrrr
07-09-2011, 09:07 AM
^^^^^^^Good old GM DIS coil, yep, flame throwers, lol.

in college we had a sheet of plywood with the system all hooked up and we always would make jumpers and shock the ---- out of people. We had it blowing chunks out of carbon vacuum line.

minigts
07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I agree that the later coil offers a more tidy setup and I didn't like the idea of a long coil wire or mounting a canister coil somewhere on the engine.

Yeah just seems unnecessary, but I guess with the technology in 82 or whichever year they started using the stock 87 style coils, it made sense to them to put it where they did. Glad they made an advancement or two as they grew up. :p

you want to run a hot coil and not have any issues? Take one of these and fab up a mount that uses the pins on the base of the coil (still 2 wires like normal) Ground one tower, and hook the other one to the distributor. They put out 100,000v because they spark 2 spark plugs at a time. Ive made them spark 5 in gaps with a thick blue spark and no issues. Plus they are everywhere.

I don't mind making modifications, but I'll stick with this until I realize I need more spark. That's pretty awesome though for a solution. I'm sure mounting it where the factory A/C setup goes would be pretty easy.