PDA

View Full Version : Welded Differential

Rattlesnake
01-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Has anybody tried a welded diff on a fwd Dodge?

Una
01-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Yup. :)

Rattlesnake
01-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Yup. :)
How do you like it? Any down sides?Is it something that you recomend to a street car or a racecar. Pros and cons.

Una
01-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I didn't do it, from what I hear, it's a nightmare. But it's been done.. :)

altered7151
01-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Racecar only, if you weld up the diff it will be impossible to drive on the street. I had a friend with a drag honda with a spool in it, it was easier to just lift up the front end with a floor jack to move it around. But the upside is much more consistent launches and traction. Oh, and if you break an axle under power you're in for one hell of a ride.

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 10:27 AM
I have done about 6 of them for race car transmissions. I weld the gears together where they mesh on all sides but I don't weld them to the case.

I don't know of one that has failed yet. Here are some pictures of one done and installed in a 1.7 404 case being used by the VW guys.

OK, guess I can't post pictures, I'll try a new thread.

Cliff Ramsdell
Treasurer, NESDAC
'86 GLHS 210 Shelby Posi and Shelby Roll Cage
'29 Model A, 239 flathead V-8, 3 speed
Mopartek@aol.com
http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting...Holy ----!! What a Ride!!"

Has anybody tried a welded diff on a fwd Dodge?

SMPerformance
01-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I have done about 6 of them for race car transmissions. I weld the gears together where they mesh on all sides but I don't weld them to the case.

I don't know of one that has failed yet. Here are some pictures of one done and installed in a 1.7 404 case being used by the VW guys.

OK, guess I can't post pictures, I'll try a new thread.

For a Race aplication it is illegal in NHRA and NDRA to weld a diff

" welded spider gears Prohibited in all classes . Spool or appropriate
positraction differentials must be used"

We are running a custom mini spool

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Your correct but the ones I did were for local cars and tracks and not for NHRA or IHRA applications but I can think of a few that are out there. :rolleyes:

Now, since you opened up about the minin spool, how about a price and availibility?

For a Race aplication it is illegal in NHRA and NDRA to weld a diff

" welded spider gears Prohibited in all classes . Spool or appropriate
positraction differentials must be used"

We are running a custom mini spool

SMPerformance
01-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Your correct but the ones I did were for local cars and tracks and not for NHRA or IHRA applications but I can think of a few that are out there. :rolleyes:

Now, since you opened up about the minin spool, how about a price and availibility?

I'm not saying a spool is better but we needed to go with a spool because we counld'nt take the risk of running one and get DQ'ed if they open us up .

as far as pricing we never intended to sell some so I have no idea and I only did 2 of them the one in the race car and a spare one

Clay
01-04-2006, 05:14 PM
There you go Stephan! Thats another service SMP could offer

bfarroo
01-05-2006, 12:49 AM
not to hyjack but how does a spool work compared to a torque biasing diff like the quaife. Does it completely eliminate the differential making it a race only part?

cordes
01-05-2006, 12:51 AM
not to hyjack but how does a spool work compared to a torque biasing diff like the quaife. Does it completely eliminate the differential making it a race only part?

Yes, it basically locks both axles together thus forcing them to turn at the same speed, and makes turning on the street near impossible.

Anonymous_User
01-05-2006, 08:47 AM
I've answered this many dozens of times.

I welded one up in my Shelby Z a few years ago.

It was nearly impossible to even back out of the shop. Driving on the street was an absolute nightmare. Driving to the staging lanes was a huge work out. On the track it was great.

I would never never never recomend welding a diff or running a spool in a FWD car UNLESS it is a very light, straight line only car. Very un-safe for road use.

I do run a spool in my RWD street/strip car (not a dodge). Its built for straight line fun but does see road use ocassionally. I have no issues with it as long as you know you won't be doing any slalom racing. I do run aftermarket axles, though.

Clay
01-05-2006, 09:03 AM

a spool looks like what it is called..... a spool! ;) It besically replaces the spider gears in the differential so there is no ability to for one side to slip.

Look up spool, or mini spool at summitracing.com or yahoo and you will see a picture of one.

clay