PDA

View Full Version : SOHC hybred question

22mopar
06-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm looking at building an sohc head on a 2.2. I've got just about everything figured out but the cam sprocket. Seems that neons use 42 tooth cam sprocket while the 2.2 uses 40 tooth. I see someone is making DOHC hybrid sprockets but what about SOHC? I don't know what to do.

cordes
06-23-2011, 02:27 PM
You can't use the 8v sprocket in any way?

Aries_Turbo
06-23-2011, 03:13 PM
cut the center out of the 8v, turn the outer edge of the neon one down till it fits inside the 8v ring, few welds and you are done...... well after you degree it in first.

thats what id do.

Brian

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

ps, you using a magnum head or a ported sohc or something? is it even worth it for a stock SOHC head?

brian

cordes
06-23-2011, 03:31 PM
cut the center out of the 8v, turn the outer edge of the neon one down till it fits inside the 8v ring, few welds and you are done...... well after you degree it in first.

thats what id do.

Brian

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

ps, you using a magnum head or a ported sohc or something? is it even worth it for a stock SOHC head?

brian

From what I've read the stock SOHC heads don't flow that badly.

contraption22
06-23-2011, 03:44 PM
From what I've read the stock SOHC heads don't flow that badly.

The non-magnum SOHC exhaust port is absolutely horrible. There is a huge hump in it for a coolant passage. It can be improved upon, but can never come close to a DOHC.

cordes
06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
The non-magnum SOHC exhaust port is absolutely horrible. There is a huge hump in it for a coolant passage. It can be improved upon, but can never come close to a DOHC.

What flow numbers do they put out? I've read that stock the SOHC and DOHC heads are at least in the same ball park compared to the stock 8v heads. I've not looked into it a ton so I'm interested in learning more.

22mopar
06-23-2011, 04:29 PM
the deal is I can't use a dohc head so all the babbling about the dohc head being better has no value what so ever.

so how are the dohc guys getting around the sprocket issue? are the dohc hybrid sprockets 40 or 42 tooth? will a dohc sprocket fit an sohc cam? does anyone have an answer of value or does the post get dumbed down?

cordes
06-23-2011, 04:49 PM
the deal is I can't use a dohc head so all the babbling about the dohc head being better has no value what so ever.

so how are the dohc guys getting around the sprocket issue? are the dohc hybrid sprockets 40 or 42 tooth? will a dohc sprocket fit an sohc cam? does anyone have an answer of value or does the post get dumbed down?

I know they can just space out the gears and run them as is.

Why don't you enlighten us with what you've attempted thus far so that we don't dumb down your thread any longer. That was the first reply in the thread.

If we're bringing you down you could always have the satisfaction of figuring it out all by yourself.

Directconnection
06-23-2011, 05:11 PM

From the ones I saw, it's actually an EGR passage cast/drilled in the head.... but yeah, sucky...

I'm guessing Allmotor is making a roundy round motor and the rules might state no dohc.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Why don't you enlighten us with what you've attempted thus far so that we don't dumb down your thread any longer. That was the first reply in the thread.

If we're bringing you down you could always have the satisfaction of figuring it out all by yourself.

I missed that part of the post.... typical allmotor...

cordes
06-23-2011, 05:16 PM
From the ones I saw, it's actually an EGR passage cast/drilled in the head.... but yeah, sucky...

I'm guessing Allmotor is making a roundy round motor and the rules might state no dohc.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I missed that part of the post.... typical allmotor...

I thought that allmotor had that handle on here too? The attitude would make sense if it's the same guy though.

shadow88
06-23-2011, 05:19 PM
As far as what cam sprocket to use. The answer is simple. The one that has twice as many teeth as your crank sprocket.

glhs0426
06-23-2011, 05:23 PM
IIRC the SOHC and DOHC use the same cam sprokets. The 2.4 flipped the sproket around due to the crank gear being further out because of the balance shaft design. I remember someone made a bushing to run the DOHC cams from a 2.2 cam sprocket. Now I have to find the pictures.

22mopar
06-23-2011, 10:23 PM
OK, so with all the guys doing hybrids on here, what is the tooth count of the DOHC cam sprockets? See the 2.0 motors have 21 tooth crank and 42 cam. ALL 2.2/2.5 motors have 20 tooth crank and 40 tooth cam sprockets. So are you experienced hybrid guys using 21 tooth crank sprockets or some "special" cam spockets?

Directconnection
06-23-2011, 10:56 PM
The hybrid guys are using the stock round tooth crank gears, and the stock 8v round tooth cam gears.

When I made the 16v hybrid cam gears years ago, that's what I did. Use the original outer section of the cam gears with the inside cut out. Bore out the id of the gear section, drill/tap and engrave TDC, then make a billet center section with timing marks and slots and keyway for the cam. The 8v gear needs to be reversed for better head clearance.

22mopar
06-23-2011, 11:25 PM
can't just use a stock 8v cam gear. I can't imagine everyone that's done one custom made their own cam gear hub to fit the 2.0 cam. You have a keyway slot cutter, mill and lathe?

glhs0426
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
2.0/2.4 DOHC cam sprokets are 42 teeth. In 2.0L form the SOHC and DOHC use the same p/n 21 tooth cam sprocket.

I have yet to find a picture of the bushings made to adapt a 8v cam sprocket to the DOHC cam. You may be able to use one of FWD's conversion gears, but I don't know about the offset. Call Cindy and find out if anyone has used a conversion gear in an application such as yours.

One person years ago made a bushing to install the SOHC/DOHC crank gear on a 2.2/2.5 crankshaft, but he never posted a picture.

Juggy
06-24-2011, 12:44 AM
can't just use a stock 8v cam gear. I can't imagine everyone that's done one custom made their own cam gear hub to fit the 2.0 cam. You have a keyway slot cutter, mill and lathe?

yep he does at work.....but yeah, you gotta do what directconnection says. use the stock 8v 2.2/2.5 sprocket, but machine up a nice billet center for it, be easy to make it adjustable as well!

Aries_Turbo
06-24-2011, 12:45 AM

some guys have hand cut up the 8v gear and drilled and bolted the two bits together with small nuts and bolts.

others have used geo metro cam gears.

pretty much most all stick with the 8v crank gear.

Brian

Directconnection
06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?54673-Fabrication-How-To-T-III-adjustable-cam-gears&highlight=diy+how+to+T-III+adjustable+cam+gears

cordes
06-24-2011, 12:51 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?54673-Fabrication-How-To-T-III-adjustable-cam-gears&highlight=diy+how+to+T-III+adjustable+cam+gears

He through that one right over the plate for you...

I believe it was Garrett on here who did the cam gear with the hand drill and all normal guy garage tools. Didn't he even run it on a motor?

Aries_Turbo
06-24-2011, 01:06 PM
yeah he ran it on his hybrid setup iirc.

he got it crazy straight for being a cobblejob. :)

Brian

Directconnection
06-24-2011, 06:50 PM
yeah he ran it on his hybrid setup iirc.

he got it crazy straight for being a cobblejob. :)

Brian

An easier way to make some, but it won't be quite as dead accurate as the way I make mine... is the way I made my very 1st one. I cut out the hub section.... and then drilled/tapped it. Drilled and tapped the outer section, too... then turned out an aluminum disc that had a big hole in the center for the original hub to clear, bolted that disc to the hub, and then slotted the disc so the outer/inner would pivot and then lock down all independently. I still have a pile of those prototype discs in a box in my garage... as I aborted that original idea to do it correctly and more accurately.