PDA

View Full Version : Easy alternator adjuster

fishcleaner
06-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I made this up using a left & right solid rod ends (3/8") and welding a small piece of
1/4" plate to it. Drilled it out for 10mm bottom bolt and 12mm upper bolt. Belt size changed to 37".

http://www.crazy4carz.com/gallery2/d/67482-1/altbracket1.jpg

cordes
06-20-2011, 12:18 AM
That's great. I should do that the next time the rubber deal fails.

I'm actually going to need pics of everything else since it looks like there is nothing left stock on that thing. Very interesting stuff going on there.

PunKid
06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Is that electromotive coils I see?

ShelGame
06-20-2011, 08:31 AM
I was gonna say, I think we need more info on what's going on in the upper RH corner of that pic. :eyebrows: Nice oil adapter, too.

minigts
06-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I like the simple design. Has this caused any stress cracks on the water pump where it bolts to it? On my 85 when I was running the original alternator setup, I noticed it has a crack at the bottom that caused a leak. Just wondering how this has held up over time. Looks good though, and +1 on the distributor setup!

fishcleaner
06-20-2011, 12:52 PM
That's great. I should do that the next time the rubber deal fails.

I'm actually going to need pics of everything else since it looks like there is nothing left stock on that thing. Very interesting stuff going on there.
The rubber was shot on mine so rather than hunt down another I tried this and it worked too easy.
The parts are from McMaster Carr #6066K14 (RH rod end) #4543T16 (LH rod end) & #9428A115 (coupling nut) with a 3/8-16 hex nut for a lock nut.

Your right about not much left being stock, this project is out of control. Pics are hosted at this site www.crazy4carz.com (http://www.crazy4carz.com) look for the gallery link at
the top of the page and look for the Omni thumbnail. Many of those pics are old and outdated.

I like the simple design. Has this caused any stress cracks on the water pump where it bolts to it? On my 85 when I was running the original alternator setup, I noticed it has a crack at the bottom that caused a leak. Just wondering how this has held up over time. Looks good though, and +1 on the distributor setup!

I don't know how it will hold up, first one I did and the engine isn't running yet, hopefully soon.

Is that electromotive coils I see?

Good eye, you running that system?

PunKid
06-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I use to work for a speed shop south of boston, 8 years ago before Megasquirt and a couple of these other standalones were popular. We used Electromotive Exclusively and we had many cars shipped to us that had that system but needed to be tuned on our dyno.

It was pretty cool and a little ahead of its time. I dont know much about it now tho.

omnigoestohell
06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I did basically the same thing with my alternator mount, two heim joints and a knurled rod with a reverse thread on one end. I stuck with the OE belt too, although my water pump is the 89+ one that runs off the backside of the belt... I have only about 500 miles on the setup but so far so good -- -opened up lots of room down above the water pump for intercooler piping!

BIG PSI
06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Here is his link:

http://www.crazy4carz.com/galleryframe8.php

minigts
06-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Would you need to lock nuts for this or will one suffice? Just wondering if it could thread down or however with only one. Also, thanks for posting the part numbers, very helpful.

Dez
08-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Beautiful work on the engine!

minigts
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Just an update, I did this to my car and so far it's working fine. The part number on the reverse thread turnbuckle is for one that is like 4" long. WHICH, it works, but I would have preferred one shorter, like the one you have in the picture. Regardless, this is better in my opinion and makes tightening the belt a cinch compared to before.

fishcleaner
08-02-2011, 06:48 PM
I should have mentioned I cut it down, that was the shortest ends they sold in that diameter, glad it worked out for you, it was one of the simplest mods I've done.

minigts
08-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I should have mentioned I cut it down, that was the shortest ends they sold in that diameter, glad it worked out for you, it was one of the simplest mods I've done.

Well I was able to get the right sized nut on the bolt and locked it down. I'd prefer to have 2, one on each end but it's doing ok so far.