PDA

View Full Version : '86 Omni 525 clutch problem

JimmieD
06-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Hi all!

Haven't worked on the Mopar FWD cars before. My '86 Omni 5 speed is a project, just looking into it now. The clutch pedal is just hanging & dangling, no actuation. Cable seems to be intact & is correctly routed over pulley at top of pedal lever, connected in slot on pedal lever, also connected at clutch release lever. The release lever is close to horizontal & is tight to shaft. Cable housing has slack at firewall. There's several inches of slop in pedal play & cable, goes to the floor without even moving lever on bellhousing.

Prior owner said he had just spent some tall bucks having a new clutch put in. Drove it a little while and it broke down when his wife was driving, "...clutch went out..."

Not familiar with this cable op's clutch, don't even know where to start looking...?? All the parts seem to be there & in the right place, but it's like the clutch cable is about 4" - 6" too long!

Thanks for any tips & hints!

JimmieD

iTurbo
06-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Sounds like you may have the wrong cable in there, maybe one from a K-based car like a Shadow or Daytona. If you go to www.napaonline.com and look up the clutch cable for the Omni and say, a Shadow, it will list the lengths and that should tell you.

glhs727
06-18-2011, 10:42 AM
check the clutch positioner and block. The block is white and rectangle and sits on the back side of the pedal. it rides on the positioner (which looks like a porkchop) via a set of teeth on both. Sometimes the teeth get worn and shear off..... hope that is it becuase they are pretty cheap to replace about $11 each....

x.Gen
06-18-2011, 04:04 PM
first, grab the clutch arm at the transmission and pull in the same direction the cable would. should be a good level of tension there, very hard to move. that's quicker than seeing behind the clutch pedal.

sdac guy
06-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Also to continue on what Cindy said about the block on the back side of the clutch pedal. The cable should thread through the top of the pedal and into that block. The ball on the end of the cable goes at the bottom of the block. Sometimes the ball will pull part way, or all the way, through that block. There should be a spring that pulls the block towards the bottom of the clutch pedal.

Once there is tension on the cable, pulling up on the pedal will allow the block to engage correctly onto positioner. That is the only cable adjustment built into the clutch mechanism.

Barry

JimmieD
06-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the tips!

From info I got the clutch was replaced and then suddenly 'went out' shortly after. I looked behind pedal with a mirror and all the parts/cable looked to be in the right place. Cable comes over top of a large pulley, and then has cable end captured down below. The block & spring appear okay, and cable ball end is captured as it should be. There is strong tension on clutch release arm at tranny, but cable is way loose.

I'll look into it further & try to post better info.

Thanks!

x.Gen
06-20-2011, 08:41 AM
check the bracket at the driver's strut tower. cable should be routed thru there from firewall.

JimmieD
06-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Thanks, I'll check!