PDA

View Full Version : looked at a glhs

mplightning
06-17-2011, 02:11 PM
funny how when you buy these things people cry that they are rare but when you look at the car they are not treated like they are rare. I just think everything is beat compared to my vehicles that i have owned.

tryingbe
06-17-2011, 02:13 PM
This thread is worthless without pictures.

mplightning
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
you dont even want to see it it was repainted but sits outside roof is starting to bubble the worse part is the steering wheel looked like ---- i dont know how you can even get a steering wheel so warn at 53 thousand miles. and the wheels were not shiny.

cordes
06-17-2011, 02:20 PM
It's probably 153000 miles. Some of them have had a legitimately hard life and show premature wear though. I have talked to more than one person who claimed to have a GLHS in high school. They weren't that expensive even back in the 80's and were treated accordingly.

mplightning
06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
not paying 6500 for it thats for sure lol. i mean it just wasnt a 7500 dollar car i expect a certain condition for that price.

cordes
06-17-2011, 04:40 PM
not paying 6500 for it thats for sure lol. i mean it just wasnt a 7500 dollar car i expect a certain condition for that price.

Some guys think they've stumbled onto a gold ingot in the shape of a car with these sometimes. They are usually folks who aren't members of the community and are just looking to get a ton for them since they say shelby on the side.

In all reality, 6-7K should buy you a sweet 87' S car. Here is what I consider to be a very nice original example for a great price.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?46841-1987-Shelby-GLH-S-0465-5500&highlight=

tryingbe
06-17-2011, 04:44 PM
you dont even want to see it

Sure I do, so I can have a good laugh. Would you post the ad at least?

mplightning
06-17-2011, 07:02 PM
yes thats a fine example this car the ground effects were faded paint was shiny from repaint it had a sunroof didnt think omni's came with them. the wheels were not shiny tires dry rotted. the dash tag missing. interior clean but panels faded again if its so rare why is it sitting on a lot for 4 years.

Nemesismachine
06-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Go look at sethyboy85's brother's 87 GLHS then. It's in Hegins, PA. Beautiful car, saw it last weekend. 31,478 miles.

JohnnyIroc
06-17-2011, 08:38 PM
wheels can be polished,
why do you keep saying there not shiny?
mine are far from shiny and everything else is super clean

Turboomni
06-17-2011, 09:00 PM
In their day many times the Omni Glht or Glhs were treated like a BIC throw away lighter. Know a guy that bought a new 86 glhs and at abit over one thousand miles he hit a telephone pole.
Apparently he said he floored it and the torque steer caught him off guard and he hit the pole and totaled it. He was laughing about it.

glhs496
11-18-2011, 07:36 PM
I bought my 86 GLHS new. It was a special car then. No test drives, paid over sticker price, $11,600 on the sticker delivered, I paid $12,900 and if I didn't want to pay that there were plenty of other guys on the list who would. That was not cheap for the time, pretty much average. (Although the 1988 M3 was over $30k back then and the S just killed it). Car guys knew what it was (punks didn't, which was great on the street), and it was extremely potent for the time, especially on the roadcourse. Nasty little car. (of course you all know that). :thumb:

cordes
11-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I bought my 86 GLHS new. It was a special car then. No test drives, paid over sticker price, $11,600 on the sticker delivered, I paid $12,900 and if I didn't want to pay that there were plenty of other guys on the list who would. That was not cheap for the time, pretty much average. (Although the 1988 M3 was over $30k back then and the S just killed it). Car guys knew what it was (punks didn't, which was great on the street), and it was extremely potent for the time, especially on the roadcourse. Nasty little car. (of course you all know that). :thumb:

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

trannybuster
11-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Use to cruise the town(Clio), there were a few hotrods, you know Novas, 69 Old's blah blah..I was sixteen-seventeen around then. Remember seeing a GLHS, at the time I had no idea what it was. They said it had a four banger, right then I wasnt interested, thought no way a four cylinder is fast..lol..but everyone kept saying it was fast as he$$..and who every owned it beat the snot out of it, he would smoke the tires off, everywhere and anywhere...

Marcus86GLHS
11-19-2011, 05:48 AM
GLHS's aren't fast, they are just four cylinder cars.

:-)

MPLIGHTNING: you are smart to not buy a glhs that has a missing dash tag (i presume you are referring to the VIN tag and not the shelby plaque)