PDA

View Full Version : Anybody put discs all around on a mini?

Dave
01-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Anybody ever done this? Just curious to see tips, pics, and results.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2006, 06:29 PM
You've got the worst memory in the world :p

I am working on it, the back axle has to be modified as the van has a larger bolt diameter for the spindle. The car is smaller and it sits 1/2 inch inwards.

Hopefully in the next month, going to have a machinist modify one of my spare axles and see if it works, then I can sell them, if anyone wants to buy them.:thumb:

I already have the 11" GTC brakes in the front, 1 1/8" bore MC and love it, can stop it in a New York Minute, hahahaaa :lol:

Dave
01-02-2006, 09:56 AM
lol yah Simon I have a memory like my old fart of a dad. hehe :p

Anyways, yah if you start selling them let me know, I'll definately take one.

Stevien1
01-03-2006, 01:48 AM
If using the rear disc setup from a car doesn't work out, you might want to take a look at a 2001 or newer Chrysler minivan, all of them except the base 4cyl's have rear disc brakes with bolt in wheel bearings.

-Chuck James

The S is Silent
01-03-2006, 01:58 AM
I think Richard Paul upgraded to the newer minivan setup and was using the 114.5 bolt pattern, but I have no idea if he was using rear discs.

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2006, 03:23 AM
I think Richard Paul upgraded to the newer minivan setup and was using the 114.5 bolt pattern, but I have no idea if he was using rear discs.

I haven't checked out the 2001 Mini but prior to that, no car stuff will bolt up, even with the 114.5 wheel pattern as no TD car has that pattern.

My96z
01-03-2006, 06:44 AM
How hard was it to get the GTC front brakes on? What all do I need to put a set on my mini?

Jeff

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2006, 01:12 AM
How hard was it to get the GTC front brakes on? What all do I need to put a set on my mini?

Jeff

You need a 91 and up 2nd gen K-member, cast control arms, knuckles with bearings. You then bolt on the GTC caliper adapters, calipers, rotors and pads. Just move the brake line at the caliper so it fits, you don't need to buy GTC lines. Bleed, align and your done. You can use the car knuckles but the tires will rub on full lock.

DO NOT USE your original stamped control arms and the 91 knuckles, you will blow out your axles instantly. :(

rbryant
01-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Didn't some of the later caravans already have 11" front discs?

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Didn't some of the later caravans already have 11" front discs?

-Rich

The earlier Mini's with 15" wheels have 11 inch brakes, the caliper bracket is part of the knuckle. 91 and up with 15" wheels have the 11's, same as the GTC but larger wheel bolt pattern so change out the wheel bearings and rotors and bingo, big brakes for older vans but you still need to change the K-member.

rbryant
01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Ok good. I think I grabbed the 11" caliper brackets off from a van for my car and I was worried that they might not actually be 11" brackets....

The fact that they have 11" brakes in 5x114 might work to someone's benefit if they put the later rear discs on and want to have matching rims and bolt patterns without the need of a multi pattern rim.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Ok good. I think I grabbed the 11" caliper brackets off from a van for my car and I was worried that they might not actually be 11" brackets....

The fact that they have 11" brakes in 5x114 might work to someone's benefit if they put the later rear discs on and want to have matching rims and bolt patterns without the need of a multi pattern rim.

-Rich

Well if its 90 or earlier, then there are no caliper brackets on the 11 inch setup, its all one piece on the knuckle.

But 91, the caliper brackets swap between car and van, :amen:

Going with the 5x114 limits wheel selection, alot of cars are 5x100.