PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to replace a trans in turbo mini

snackman508
06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
looking at a turbo van but the torque converter is shot! "You must baby it off the line or you won't move" its a 3sp auto dont know much about trans to know if its easyer to fix it or just swap in a used trans, if so where to find a good used one for cheap.
hope you guys can help a newbie out
Asher

22mopar
06-11-2011, 08:54 AM
That is not they symptom of a bad torque converter. You've described burned up rear clutch problem.

Replacing the transmission is very easy and with practice and quality tools and equipment, can be accomplished in less than 2hrs.

I have piles of these transmissions cheap unfortunately shipping would cost way more than the value of the trans.

try finding one locally @ www.car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com)

rumpfox
06-11-2011, 11:14 PM
if mech. inclined i'd rebuild the one you have. you'll never find a good turbo trans. they'll tell you it's no differance but theres alot of diff.in a turbo and nonturbo trans.like building a 904 just the sprag is a little tricking. dont put it in backwards.

22mopar
06-12-2011, 10:52 AM
sprag clutch is easy, you can't put it in backwards on a 413, I've got dozens of good turbo transmissions so finding them is easy. the main difference between turbo and non-turbo trans is the clutch packs.

RoadWarrior222
06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Replacing the transmission is very easy and with practice and quality tools and equipment, can be accomplished in less than 2hrs.

Plan on taking a day your first time at it though... can add an extra hour here and there for if you do stuff like shift kit mods, accumulator block, diff pin keepers or LSD while you're at it.

88_pacifica
06-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Plan on taking a day your first time at it though... can add an extra hour here and there for if you do stuff like shift kit mods, accumulator block, diff pin keepers or LSD while you're at it.

He's just talking about an R&R from the vehicle, not a rebuild... :thumb:

Mr overkill
06-15-2011, 08:26 AM
the trans on a mini is a lot more simpler IMO there is more room to more around and more room for the trans.

im actually going to be rebuilding mine right after carisle since mine "slips" in reverse if you need help or have questions just ask