PDA

View Full Version : After market cooling fans

CSXT802
07-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Is anyone useing a after market cooling fan on their car.? are the worth it.?
I was thinking about trying the 14' one, 2950 cfm.http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&catalogIdentifier=Jegs_Direct&categoryId=13469&parentCategoryId=10117

iTurbo
07-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I have used a Derale 14" Tornado and a Mr. Gasket 14" #1987 in my Omni GLH Turbo and they have worked great; although a custom sheetmetal shroud was absolutely necessary.

TrrboJeep
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm running a Flex-A-Lite unit. Has an adjustable temp switch. Works great. (came with it's own shroud) :thumb:
(my vehicle came with a clutch fan from the factory)

1985ShlbyChrger
07-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Use a Hayden. They have their own shroud, and are much slimmer than factory. It cost like 90 bucks, but was the only choice I had.

Clay
07-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I used one a bought from Ebay due to clearance in an L-body converted to TII. Here is the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8063365089&category=33600

it was $30 and fits great. For the price I can buy 3 of these compared to the average name brand fan.

so far Im super happy with it.

altered7151
07-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I used one a bought from Ebay due to clearance in an L-body converted to TII. Here is the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8063365089&category=33600

it was $30 and fits great. For the price I can buy 3 of these compared to the average name brand fan.

so far Im super happy with it.

Good to hear someone that bought one of those and likes it. I just bought 2 10" fans from them. I'm running an aluminum scirrocco radiator in my charger and the slim line fans are about the only thing that'll fit in there.

turbovanmanČ
07-13-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm running a Flex-A-Lite unit. Has an adjustable temp switch. Works great. (came with it's own shroud) :thumb:
(my vehicle came with a clutch fan from the factory)

Its hard to overheat when it doesn't run, :lol: sorry, couldn't resist.

I switched to a larger unit and it runs alot cooler. Just the biggest one you can fit on your rad.

Mario
07-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Here's a question I have...does it matter if you run a push style or a pull style? Any advantage or disadvantage to either?

On my old GLH I put in a push style (mounted on the front of the radiator).Saved me a ton of room.

turbovanmanČ
07-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Here's a question I have...does it matter if you run a push style or a pull style? Any advantage or disadvantage to either?

On my old GLH I put in a push style (mounted on the front of the radiator).Saved me a ton of room.

I really don't think it matters, but I seem to remember saying fans are better as pulling than pushing. That said, I would do whatever works for your application.

Mario
07-13-2006, 05:24 PM
I was a lazy --- a few ago. I did some quick research and found this:

"Lisa Chissus of Flex-a-lite says testing has shown that when using an electric fan, it is always better to pull the air through the radiator with the fan mounted behind the unit than to push the air through with the fan mounted in front. This is because once the car is up to speed, the greatest percentage of air flowing to the radiator will come from the car's movement. Putting a pusher fan in front of the radiator blocks the incoming air from getting where it needs to go--through the radiator core. Chissus recommends always using an electric fan with a built-in shroud, as this greatly increases the fan's effectiveness at pulling air through the radiator."

DeckSetter
07-14-2006, 06:13 PM
+1

Say your radiator is 2 square ft. Add up all the total area of your fan blades / motor / shroud... say that's a square foot and a half. You're only letting in (roughly) 3/4 of the air that would be going through at highway speed if the fan is off.

Also, in a puller the shroud should help pull air over the whole area of the radiator. In a pusher, it seems like it would be concentrated to the center.

...Then again, I just made that last part up off the top of my head. Oh well, it sounded good...

Anonymous_User
07-14-2006, 09:07 PM
I haven't used an aftermarket fan in a TD, but I have a bit of experience in the 'other' car with them. I've used several different fans from parts store cheap-o's to Summit brand to Derale.

By far, the good Derale fans move massively more amounts of air than any other fan I've tried. Over the years as the horse power output went up, so did the required cooling. The Derale has no problem keeping the temps down.

daytonaturbo87
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
yes it is true, pullers are more efficient than pushers. But if you can get a pusher that doesn't block too much rad area and keeps ya cool, why not.

GLHNSLHT2
07-18-2006, 11:39 PM
The flush motor fans on 3.0 V6 Chrysler cars move a lot of air and offer plently of clearance for i/c piping and other stuff. If this doesn't cool the car effectively then your fan isn't the issue.

Turbo_Rampage
07-19-2006, 01:00 AM
I am running a 12" Flex-a-lite electric fan with custom shroud in my Rampage, and i have no cooling problems. I also have the Flex-a-lite adjustable fan thermostat thats hooked up to constant power so the fan runs even when the motor is turned off until it reaches my set temp.. and then turns off.

Mario
07-19-2006, 01:16 AM
I am running a 12" Flex-a-lite electric fan with custom shroud in my Rampage, and i have no cooling problems. I also have the Flex-a-lite adjustable fan thermostat thats hooked up to constant power so the fan runs even when the motor is turned off until it reaches my set temp.. and then turns off.

My old Audi used to do that. Quite sure it was like that from the factory.

I'm wondering how effective that is though, since the coolant is flowing throughout the engine anymore, no?

Also, are you running a pusher or a puller?

Turbo_Rampage
07-19-2006, 01:35 AM

I'm wondering how effective that is though, since the coolant is flowing throughout the engine anymore, no?

Its running as a puller. When the fan is running while the motor is turned off i notice that the underhood temps are WAY cooler. (especially when the temps climb up past 225* when the motor is turned off) When the fan is on you can see the heat waves and feel the heat blowing out of the hood vent. I am pretty sure it helps somewhat.

Darkwolf
07-19-2006, 01:44 AM

Water does keep moving with that whole hot rises cold falls thing. My fan kicks on and off up to 5 times on really hot days after shutting the engine off.

puppet
07-19-2006, 08:17 AM
I remember the wifes old Fiat 128 had this "feature" too. I used to love the "service calls" for a jump in the winter.

TrrboJeep
07-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Its hard to overheat when it doesn't run, :lol: sorry, couldn't resist.
:amen: :nod: