PDA

View Full Version : inside fuel tank rust ...

shelbymonster
06-09-2011, 05:48 PM
i had 2 fuel pump failure with 2 clogged fuel filter because my tank is rusted inside due of a 5 year storage outside before i bought it , i had to go to a garage yesterday and today got a call that my tank is finish , if i get the all the gunk out of it and some surface rust still inside , will it be ok ???

i ask the garage to get the gunk out and put a filter and that guy wanted me to buy a new tank + pump + filter + install making a bill over 500 $ ...

mark
06-09-2011, 05:52 PM
if you can drop the tank to clean it out you might as well see if you can recoat the inside of the tank. if its rusting now... and you clean the rust out more will appear.

bakes
06-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I hate to say it but get a new tank they are not baddly priced .
or pm Juggy as he just parted out a daytona.

shelbymonster
06-09-2011, 05:56 PM
yeah maybe a new tank would be nice but money wise im poor i just started working after 6 month cause of my broken elbow ...

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

looks like im gonna part out 2 daytona's soon , im sick of it

supercrackerbox
06-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Go to the hardware store and get a gallon of Muratic Acid, should be under $10. Get some chemical gloves while you're at it, or at very least some of those long yellow dishwashing gloves.

Then track down some fuel tank sealer. This is the stuff I used:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fuel-Tank-Sealer-Quart,13883.html
Eastwood also sells some, but if you can find it locally it'll save you on shipping. One quart will be plenty.

Remove the tank, remove the pump, gauge sending unit, filler neck, and rollover valve. Be gentle with the rubber grommets so hopefully you can reuse them. Stand the tank on end and smack it with your hand to dislodge as much flaky rust as possible. Now the fun part . . .

If you have any oil stains in your driveway, that would be a good spot to do this, as the acid will clean them. If you have a power washer, great, if not then a garden hose will suffice. Put the gloves on, and some safety goggles and an apron would be a good idea too. Pour about a quart of the acid into the tank, and start turning the tank to cover everything inside. Try not to splash yourself, and try not to breathe the fumes. You'll see the steel turning silver again. Repeat until the whole tank is clean inside, and then rinse completely with water. Rinse the driveway thoroughly too. (I actually used the local car wash last time I did this) Use compressed air, fans, heat, whatever you can to dry the tank as quickly as possible before it flash rusts. A little is unavoidable and won't do any harm, but do your best.

When the tank is dry, follow the instructions on the sealer. Once dry, reassemble.

If you're really in a pinch, you can get by without the sealer as long as you reassemble the car and fill the tank with fuel immediately. But keep in mind there's a good chance it will rust again within a few years, and you may also have some pinhole leaks where the rust flaked off inside.

tryingbe
06-10-2011, 01:19 AM
It cost less than $80 to get a new fuel tank.

PunKid
06-10-2011, 07:00 AM
It cost less than $80 to get a new fuel tank.

Yup way easier and no worries later about rust

blk86trbo
06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Bought a tank from Rockauto a month or so ago...looked very much like the original. Was made in Canada...shipped to the door for a total of $99.

shelbymonster
06-12-2011, 07:41 PM
i took a look today at my shelby z tank and no rust inside so its going on the car soon , in couple weeks im ordering a walbro ...

StupidSwede
06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
How about citric acid /water mix into empty tank without removing, but just leaving it for a couple of days and then flushing out? Could be a cheap and easy "might do it for a year" solution? (I am assuming there is a drain plug of course - through which you also could use a angled screwdriver or something to diminish and pull flakes.)

shelbymonster
06-15-2011, 08:35 PM
idk why the garage said the tank wasnt rebuiltable , not much rust inside but where the pump is got some rust dust , anyway i found a nice clean tank ... well... inside lol

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

im gonna buy a walbro soon , do you guys reinstall the check valve on the pump ??