PDA

View Full Version : Cops puttin the squeeze on

SwiftTech
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
So I went to the track last night with the 'tona. Made a few runs nothing spectacular due to a missfire in 3rd and 4th gears. Anyway after being eliminated first round I decide no good will come from running it more and head home. As I leave the track there are 2 California Highway Patrol cars sittin off the side of the track entrance. I leave slow and easy and down the road a little there are two more cars with a honda pulled over. They have the hood up and are talking to the driver in front of it. I put by doing 45 in a 55 and just passed them off the side of the road are about 6 CHP motorcyle cops lying in wait. None of the hasseled me but stsill I was nervous. So now we have the police hasseling the people going to the Legal drag races. Why can't they focus on the people out there on the streets? If they keep this up it will only hurt the only local legal racing outlet, and street racing is bound to rise. I just don't get it.:mad:
/rant

Does this kiind of thing happen at the tracks you guys go to? Or is it just a California thing?

90Dodgevnt
07-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Since you are in Ca and have all the smog rules, I am almost betting they are looking for the cars with the fart cannons, etc. to pull over. Basic violation give PC to stop, and then they go from there...

I haven't seen it where I am located, but then again, I haven't been to a track in years.

Frank
07-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Its rare on the East Coast.... much different.

Captain Chaos
07-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Its rare on the East Coast.... much different.
Yep 2 different worlds. US > Peoples Republic of California

turbovanman²
07-13-2006, 01:21 PM
They should just rename California-The new/old Germany. Hitler had nothing on these new guys. I feel sorry for all you hotrodders out there. You guys have rampant crime and all they care about is how many illegal aftermarket parts you have on your car. Very very sad, :(

Will Martin
07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
^^^^Yep, that's one big reason why I may just not go back there. Loved the car scene, loved going to (used to be called) Sears Point and Sac Raceway, loved the junkyards for having parts all the time, hated the stupid laws. I'll go to some place where the weather is similar, but I don't have to deal with being harrassed all the time. It's bad enough getting pulled over all the time for DWB!:ban: :censored: :banplease: :peace:

Clay
07-13-2006, 01:56 PM
the problem is cali has made it illegal to have a lot of mods, so all they have to do is pop the hood and find the illegal stuff, and boom ticket!

clay

Frank
07-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Whats worse is for the amount of laws... you think it would be sleeper central, but no... BLING BLING yo!

looneytuner
07-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Mo used to do that to check for stolen engines and transmissions. It the numbers didn't match, you better have a notarized bill of sale for same or they seized the car.
When I had the Daytona inspected I asked them about that. They DID check the numbers, but they were the right year and the guy said f..k it.
I seen the street parties where they do burnouts with people in the street out there. I would guess they are hassling the most likely candidates for that c..p.

Mario
07-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Yep. I love California, but it'd be a big pain in my rear with all those laws.

Michigan is a pretty leniant (sp?) state. No emissions or inspections. I've only been pulled over once for something on my car and that was because I didn't have a muffler and it was the "i have nothing else better to do" lake orion cops. I ended up getting it waived but they still gave me ---- for the new "straight through" dynomax muffler I put on. :)

86Shelby
07-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Sad to hear about the harrasment by the track. it wasn't unusual to have a patrolman down the road from out old strip at the 4 lane portion. Just to stop people from racing on the way home. They never bothered anyone unless you were breaking the law, just made thier presence known. Look at the bright side; you have a track nearby. We don't and street racing is a problem....coming from an avid street racer.

altered7151
07-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Those guys are total douchebags Luke. When I lived in Sac we would get those problems every once in a while leaving the track. Basically if the CHP are having a slow night in that district they'll head out to excelsior and hassle people. When I was big into the aircooled vw's they pulled about 10 of us over leaving the bug-o-rama and had us on the side of the road for about an hour and a half giving us ----. I got a ticket for having dual webers and not having the stock oil bath air filter. I believe the owner of the track actually filed a harassement lawsuit against the CHP because they were driving away customers since people were afraid to come out to the track and get hassled by them. After that they layed off for a while, sad to hear that they're back to their old tricks. You're absolutely right about it increasing street racing, they should be out promoting people going to the track, not harassing people and discouraging them. Asshats, total asshats. :mad: :mad:

shadow88
07-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Here in Ontario, we have the lovely O.P.P. helping keeping our streets clean of street racing by offering the "erase" program, check it out.http://www.opp.ca/Community/DriverSafetySection/ProjectErase.html

This means they set up a drag racing session over at Mosport (50 miles east of Toronto) and bust the balls of everyone who enters to legally race thier car. They nailed trailers for lights, weight, tires, you name it. And cars for basically ANY modification on it. This includes cold air intakes that use a different pcv make up tube, and that's considered "tampering with emmission control devices" and it'll get you a fine of over $300. nice, eh?

Around the race tracks onFriday night test & tune, they're usually around the neighbouring towns nailing cars left, right, and center. Usually these people are driving like twits anyways.

It's just stupid around here. They've passed a law that if you're caught street racing, you're car is impounded!!! They showed this on the front page of the Toronto Sun a few weeks ago, by crushing 2 impounded cars with a bulldozer. What bothers me most is the definition of street racing they have. In a call in show on t.v. a guy asked about 2 cars accelerating to the posted speed limit, (who hasn't done that. I mean really.) That's considered street racing. Honestly. It's retarded here. thanks, end of rant.

87glhs232
07-13-2006, 07:20 PM
This is why I run a nice quiet Bosch BOV inside the airbox and mod my chip rather than have boost controllers and other tell tale mods.

Mario
07-13-2006, 07:29 PM
You down with OPP (Yeah you know me)
Who's down with OPP (Every last homie)
You down with OPP (Yeah you know me)
Who's down with OPP (All the homies)

Sorry, I had to.

Boosted Baron
07-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Nothing like that here in PA. If you don't do anything stupid the cops pretty much let you alone. Although there is the occassional town cop with nothing better to do.

On a related note, a state trooper came to the local track the other week. He was chasing a Mini Cooper S and the Cooper decided to come into the track. Turns out the kid didn't have a licence and it was his moms car that he took without permission!

cordes
07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
I would never live in ca. Of course, I probably would not make it much across state lines with my weapons and cars though, so it is probably a moot point.

Whorse
07-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm not surprised to hear they do this. I haven't heard of it here, but I know the cops here watch for people speeding on both the main highways away from our track on Friday nights. I've yet to see anyone pulled over and having their vehicle inspected, so I think it's an honor system. Basically, if you drive normally, we'll look beyond the fact that you have a modified car and were just racing it at a track.

93sundance
07-13-2006, 09:39 PM
They don't bother us when whe leave the track out here in West Michigan.

R/T
07-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Always a radar trap here after Friday night tune & test, but if you drive normal no problem.

3Bar_Mopar
07-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Indy's pretty easy-going as far as modded cars go.... I've driven around with an open downpipe the whole time with the current Daytona, the Mini and my old Daytona.

The only time a cop has said anything about it, is a local cop at the library said "Car's kinda loud. Did you lose your muffler?". I said "Well, it just has a hole in it!". If her would have peered under there, he'd have seen no exhaust whatsoever! :eyebrows:

I got stopped in my '88 Daytona and the police didn't seem to notice that I was missing both side view mirrors, inside rear view mirror, I had a gutted interior and open downpipe. The reason they stopped me? Failed to use a turn signal in a parking lot.:confused:

Anonymous_User
07-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah, the cops like to patrol outside the track here, too. The announcer always says to be smart leaving the track, the cops are watching. Sure enough, there is almost always a Honduh pulled over less than a 1/4 mile away.

You did the right thing. Leave the track like an adult and they won't harrass you or the track.

slasky
07-14-2006, 01:46 AM
I have never seen a cop anywher near the track around here.

Ground Rat
07-14-2006, 02:32 AM
I grew up in SoCal and loved it, but the BS car laws are the main reason I don't live there now.

r00tcause
07-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Those guys are total douchebags Luke. When I lived in Sac we would get those problems every once in a while leaving the track. Basically if the CHP are having a slow night in that district they'll head out to excelsior and hassle people. When I was big into the aircooled vw's they pulled about 10 of us over leaving the bug-o-rama and had us on the side of the road for about an hour and a half giving us ----. I got a ticket for having dual webers and not having the stock oil bath air filter. I believe the owner of the track actually filed a harassement lawsuit against the CHP because they were driving away customers since people were afraid to come out to the track and get hassled by them. After that they layed off for a while, sad to hear that they're back to their old tricks. You're absolutely right about it increasing street racing, they should be out promoting people going to the track, not harassing people and discouraging them. Asshats, total asshats. :mad: :mad:

Why does this NOT surprise me? They don't want you to street race so they go to racetracks and impound cars which have illegal mods, which spreads the word not to go to real tracks anymore.. so everyone just races on the streets again. Good job Cops! The TRUTH is, they don't want you to have any fun doing anything ever. At least thats the only conclusion I can draw.

altered7151
07-14-2006, 02:30 PM
They basically just use it as an excuse to harass people they dont like. Its not very often you see the cops giving the muscle car guys any grief. In the 90's when I was in high school it was the VW guys and the guys with loud stereo systems. Now its the ricers. I have some good friends that are sheriffs in sacramento, and they're cool guys (and girls) but they've told me about the other officers that sit in the locker room laughing about how they held a group of hondas up for no reason other than the enjoyment they got out of it.

2.216VTurbo
07-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah, how about the suprise roadside smog inspection station complete with smog dyno and lots of techs in white coats that was set up no more than 5 blocks from my house in a total suburban area last year?:mad: Sweet huh? I was in the Passat that day but still it has chip/exhaust/intake etc and probably would not pass if the techs were heavy footed on the dyno. And why wouldn't they be, if they are contrated by CHP/Caltrans they WANT you to fail emissions:mad: Love my house, love my town, the weather etc but it is no fun being a car guy in these parts:banghead:

GLHNSLHT2
07-14-2006, 10:47 PM
I wonder what they'd do if I brought my tona down there. My dad lives down there in Santa Ana and I'm buddies with Tom Ernst, Alan you might know him. It's got every piece of emmisions piece ripped off it :) It still passes the sniffer test up here though. I feel for you guys. The cops come out to our "street races" but it's just for crowd control or so everyone says. Most of the time they're racing eachother downtown and crashing when the "sherriff's" dept throws out spike strips on them because they don't know the lead car is an undercover cop. Or killing people who are clearly in a defensive position and no threat to the officer.

2.216VTurbo
07-15-2006, 01:13 AM
I wonder what they'd do if I brought my tona down there. My dad lives down there in Santa Ana and I'm buddies with Tom Ernst, Alan you might know him. It's got every piece of emmisions piece ripped off it :) It still passes the sniffer test up here though. I feel for you guys. The cops come out to our "street races" but it's just for crowd control or so everyone says. Most of the time they're racing eachother downtown and crashing when the "sherriff's" dept throws out spike strips on them because they don't know the lead car is an undercover cop. Or killing people who are clearly in a defensive position and no threat to the officer.

Yeah, sniffer test is only part of the battle. Any aftermarket filter that doesn't have a CARB (California Air Resource Board, yes we have an entire separate entity for air 'quality') sticker-fail emissions, big intercoolers-fail emissions, BOV's or fancy air intakes etc-fail emissions. Heck the CARB folks will even spot a Grainger :mad:

We know 'little' Tom round these parts, two Toms in our regular group so they are kept separate by calling one big and one little (although since he put on a few lbs we started calling him medium Tom:lol: ) He has been with the SoCal SD gang for a long time... If you do bring the Daytona round here, make sure you are here for the first Thursday of the month-our SD/TD meeting:thumb:

90Dodgevnt
07-15-2006, 10:48 AM
They basically just use it as an excuse to harass people they dont like. Its not very often you see the cops giving the muscle car guys any grief. In the 90's when I was in high school it was the VW guys and the guys with loud stereo systems. Now its the ricers. I have some good friends that are sheriffs in sacramento, and they're cool guys (and girls) but they've told me about the other officers that sit in the locker room laughing about how they held a group of hondas up for no reason other than the enjoyment they got out of it.

:rolleyes:

Birddog
07-15-2006, 03:49 PM
We don't get hassled too much here in Il. In fact one diner in Aurora has the cops stationed on the street at closing time and let you do a big smokey if you want.....(EDIT: I haven't been there this year yet so things may have changed...)

REALLY sucks to hear what cali is doing cause the policies there usually trickle down to the "normal" states......

WVRampage
07-20-2006, 12:13 PM
When I drive the 100 miles from WV to go tot the track in Pa theres never any problems ever after driving the 100 miles with the numbers still on the windows,never had a problem.

mech1nxh
07-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Whats worse is for the amount of laws... you think it would be sleeper central, but no... BLING BLING yo!

good call Frank....
30 year CA resident , with a 20 yr Unlimited Smog License....have never been
harassed by CHP..they know me...hell I have even raced some of them (at sac raceway)...trust me...they love racing and cars..granted a few of the officers are jack booted thugs...but thats a personality mindset and the exception,
not the rule......

BLING BLING.....f it rip the emissions eq off its just a waste.....to hell with our
childrens children......after all they wouldent want to race anyway (or need
air to breathe)

OR.....if you want to race within the law (and garner respect).....leave the
eq on the car......the see if you are a tuner or a "gazer"

(the srt4...and numerous others come to mind)

~end rant~

tryingbe
07-21-2006, 12:46 AM
My Daytona Shelby is TII car, the only emission stuff it has are the catalytic convertor and PCV valve. If I have both item and it pass the smog test, why should IC or Turbo or BOV makes a difference?

Lone Eagle
07-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Showed my dad this thread. He was stationed in San Diego Shipyard before going to Korea. He says not much has changed there. "STILL the land of fruits and nuts, and even the weather's queer". They used to say that at the Naval Station back in the 50's. :blah:

On the CHPs and modded cars, I had a coworker get stopped in his SRT-4 last year. He had every FACTORY option from pro exhaust to oversized intercooler. They still popped him with a ticket, and he had the original window sticker in the ginbox. WA is adopting the Cali CARB shiite in 2009, but anything built BEFORE then is grandfathered. Originally, it was ALL cars, but the muscle car clubs came out and told our wonderful govenor where she could stick her bill. She immediately rewrote it, and it passed.:yuck:

r00tcause
08-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Always a radar trap here after Friday night tune & test, but if you drive normal no problem.

I just don't understand that logic. Why target the people that are at least TRYING to "take it to the track". (yes this thread is out of date but there is a new thread that links to it) :)

turbovanman²
08-19-2006, 04:14 AM
I just don't understand that logic. Why target the people that are at least TRYING to "take it to the track". (yes this thread is out of date but there is a new thread that links to it) :)

Because there --------.

Lee'sdaytona
08-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Its funny the topic of tampering inspection comes up. Here in NJ, all of my cars in my family (5) including my old daytona, the inspection station never askes to pop the hood. But this time when I took my turbo mini through inspection, I guess they saw the boost gauge mounted on the A-piller, and asked me to pop the hood. The goofball looked around, and passed me dispite the cold air intake, the improperly routed PCV setup, the grainger valve, and the EGR canister by the passenger's headlight was not hooked up, nor was the stock boost control...but I passed tampering, as I should have. Still has a cat on there
Sounds like my van wouldn't pass in many other places...CA, canada...
-Lee

Tony Hanna
08-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm a big supporter of clean air. You might even say I'm addicted to breathing. Still, I can't see the sense in failing a vehicle on a smog inspection just because of mods. Let the sniffer decide.

Lee'sdaytona
08-19-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm a big supporter of clean air. You might even say I'm addicted to breathing. Still, I can't see the sense in failing a vehicle on a smog inspection just because of mods. Let the sniffer decide.
exactly:thumb:
-Lee

MiniMoparKing
08-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Boy, am I glad I live in Germany... The only reason to take it to the track here is to get timeslips. :thumb:

Screw California. They're the reason you can't even smoke in bars anymore!

deuce dodge
10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
PROUD DRIVER IN STATE OF MICHIGAN..........

When 911 happened our local police folded up their speed trap crap and got to work being police................

Michigan has some of the best cops in USA..period.

other top states from my point of veiw...........

OHIO....TUFFER.......SMARTER...

PENN. .......AWESOME POLICE..............

IL. SETTING STANDARDS

NY. BATTLE HARDENED WARRIORS....

deuce

inmyshadow
10-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Sounds like CA found a way to make easy money. They know where all the illegal cars are at. Sounds like they raid the event.

Ondonti
10-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Showed my dad this thread. He was stationed in San Diego Shipyard before going to Korea. He says not much has changed there. "STILL the land of fruits and nuts, and even the weather's queer". They used to say that at the Naval Station back in the 50's. :blah:

On the CHPs and modded cars, I had a coworker get stopped in his SRT-4 last year. He had every FACTORY option from pro exhaust to oversized intercooler. They still popped him with a ticket, and he had the original window sticker in the ginbox. WA is adopting the Cali CARB shiite in 2009, but anything built BEFORE then is grandfathered. Originally, it was ALL cars, but the muscle car clubs came out and told our wonderful govenor where she could stick her bill. She immediately rewrote it, and it passed.:yuck:
I guess i will never own a new car then.

hybridshadow
10-31-2006, 04:07 AM
never had those problems here in mo, especially at the track.
the only thing we have close to that is lindbergh blvd in south st louis county, all the kids go out there and pretend to be johnny street racer. was fine till some stupid kids were racing and killed a couple people. theres been an anti crusing ordinance for the last 7 years, if they see you go up and down the strip 3 times you get pulled over and given a 200 cruising ticket. but thats mostly stupid kids so no one really cares. now hall street downtown is another story- 150-200 cars down on the industrial tract ,its 4 miles long 4 lanes wide and straight as an arrow with no traffic after 7 pm. the only thing the cops do is open up the fire hydrants all down the street to keep people from racing. not much else you can do when you're outnumbered 100 to 1.
never really had emissions problems around me, right now we do bar 90 on all vehicles. but since so many people complained about the emissions test program they scrapped it- effective feb 2007 all cars 95 and older (non obdII) are now exempt from emissions testing. safety inspection only and all they do is look to see if you have a cat, pcv valve and charcoal canister hooked up.
socal is probably a nice place to visit but i sure as hell wouldnt wanna live there, although the canabis card would be awfully conveinient:eyebrows:

MopàrBCN
10-31-2006, 05:46 AM
They should just rename California-The new/old Germany. Hitler had nothing on these new guys. I feel sorry for all you hotrodders out there. You guys have rampant crime and all they care about is how many illegal aftermarket parts you have on your car. Very very sad, :(

Hi, you don't even have to travel as far as old Germany, take the new one including its neibourgs, when there is a Car Show you do not only have the cops outside waiting but you have them come in to see if the cars are legal. Thats harassment!!! In Spain it is starting like this as well.......

MopàrBCN
10-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Boy, am I glad I live in Germany... The only reason to take it to the track here is to get timeslips. :thumb:

Screw California. They're the reason you can't even smoke in bars anymore!

Yeah, to that point right (we don't have speed limits), but be honest: If they stop you with a modification not registered in your papers you are screwed. And with that they really do have an obsession and they do stop frequently if you don't drive around with a stock VW Golf.......Let's not even talk about trying to pass emission and vehicle inspections if you have done something to your car - not forseeen by the manufactorer. Let's face it noone here in this board, who is taking his car a bit serious would have a slightes chance to drive legally in Germany...... That sucks.

r00tcause
11-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, to that point right (we don't have speed limits), but be honest: If they stop you with a modification not registered in your papers you are screwed. And with that they really do have an obsession and they do stop frequently if you don't drive around with a stock VW Golf.......Let's not even talk about trying to pass emission and vehicle inspections if you have done something to your car - not forseeen by the manufactorer. Let's face it noone here in this board, who is taking his car a bit serious would have a slightes chance to drive legally in Germany...... That sucks.

It's really not worth it to mod a car in most states anymore. There is just too much control. They are killing the hobby. If you ever wonder why ricer mods are all "show", well there you have it. If you do any actual mods, you can't drive your car.

86Shelby
11-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Move to Nebraska. Aside from the weather and storage of cars outdoors things are awesome for the hobby!

Shelby5150
11-07-2006, 08:09 PM
It's really not worth it to mod a car in most states anymore. There is just too much control. They are killing the hobby. If you ever wonder why ricer mods are all "show", well there you have it. If you do any actual mods, you can't drive your car.

Wow, there it is folks, a legitimate excuse for a ricers "all show, no go"... Pretty soon we'll be on the same boat.

One of the many reasons why I just spent $650 on my package from Zeitronix (http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm) is so that I won't have multiple gauges on my pillar attracting the mans attention. Another reason being that I can now get rid of the boost controllers and let the ecu take care of that for now on :thumb: :D

GLHNSLHT2
11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Just got back from a nice trip to cali (1350 miles one way) in my Daytona with 3" side exit straight pipe, and a boost and a/f guage on the pillar. I didn't get hasseled at all. Infact I hardly even saw an officer. The only time we were even close was a nice romp through the hills around some very expensive homes. :) Either the cops heard us (not suprising) or all the richie's called them to come investigate. We were heading out as one was heading in and he couldn't turn around fast enough to come after us. We were down a side street and up another back to the place I was staying at with the car shut off in the driveway behind the gate before they could do anything. Other than that no problems. Other than passing the visual down there I don't think I'd have a problem driving my tona down there everyday.

2.216VTurbo
11-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Just got back from a nice trip to cali (1350 miles one way) in my Daytona with 3" side exit straight pipe, and a boost and a/f guage on the pillar. I didn't get hasseled at all. Infact I hardly even saw an officer. The only time we were even close was a nice romp through the hills around some very expensive homes. :) Either the cops heard us (not suprising) or all the richie's called them to come investigate. We were heading out as one was heading in and he couldn't turn around fast enough to come after us. We were down a side street and up another back to the place I was staying at with the car shut off in the driveway behind the gate before they could do anything. Other than that no problems. Other than passing the visual down there I don't think I'd have a problem driving my tona down there everyday.

I'd say you were pretty lucky, I didn't hear your car run at full growl but even at idle, it'd be enough to get a once over by the city cops in plenty of neighborhoods round here. We're glad you made your trip coincide with our humble 'little' SD/TD meeting:D I think we had 30+ members at that meeting-always good to have a few visitors...

GLHNSLHT2
11-12-2006, 03:52 PM
It was fun to meet up with all you guys. Had a blast. Wish I would of gotten to see the GLHS though :) I agree although I don't think I'd have to much issue driving it everyday it is a bit loud for SoCal. I was up in Glendale late one night driving around and I know you could easily hear it a mile away even though I was driving easy. Fun though. But I think I need to find a nice high flow quiet muffler (I know oxymoron) to bring some stealth back to it.

2.216VTurbo
11-12-2006, 10:56 PM
A Flowmaster single chamber is compact and will take the growl out of it with much (if any) backpressure-if you can afford the dang thing!:o

GLHNSLHT2
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
This?? http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_140&products_id=3244
Think it'll fit where the cat was? Cause I like my side exit.

BARRON
11-21-2006, 08:51 AM
A little cheaper. And yah.. it will fit where your cat was.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowmaster-10-Series-Delta-Force-Race-Muffler-3-50-I-O_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ007QQitemZ1 70050142092

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLO%2D9430109&N=700+4294922711+115&autoview=sku

Endo
11-21-2006, 10:10 PM
There will always be a way to get out of emissions in Washington. Mark my words, they say they are gonna start with the CARB BS, but its 3 yrs before that date and alot of counties in WA still dont have emissions AT ALL. You could get a new car and register it on Vashon Island, the wierdos over there would revolt and succeed if they started making them smog thier cars.

GLHNSLHT2
11-21-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm not worried about emmissions. My car passes smog with no cat on +40's, a 2.5 and 3" straight pipe. I just want it a bit quieter so I can go ripping down the road or around the lakes without everyone knowing I'm coming. The deer hear the exhaust and run for the hills even if they have to cross the road I'm coming down to do it. I also don't want to lose hp to do it.

genghis05
11-28-2006, 06:25 PM
around here in NC the cops are looking for the ratty lookin cars. A friend of mine has owned a banged up 90 bonneville and a REALLY ugly 85 celebrity and got pulled over regularly. Now that he has a 2002 dakota.... he's never seen another cop. :mad: My hideous old wagon's been stopped once before. Lady told me I was goin pretty quick. Yep. 35mph in a 35mph zone is speeding if you make some noise doing it.
They only prey on the people that they can get away with it. If a lot of policemen/women are harrassing people that drag race legally, thats profiling. If a bunch of people would get together and sue the living crap out of them for it and be very public and get on the news, then the cops would back off. You see how stupid it is to harass the people who go to the effort of racing legally and I see how stupid it is, but the average schmuck voter may not and probly has no idea that the cops are promoting street racing. Get on the news with videos of alllll the cops sitting on their asses trying to nail ppl. Get some statistics of how many crimes happened that night elsewhere when the cops were screwing around harassing legal drag racers. You get enough people willing to point out how pissed they are and make a big enough scene and the news stations will crawl all over each other to get the story.

TurboII
01-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Well, this is has nothing to do with police in the track but here in CT we have a thing called "The Pike" and every Friday and Saturday on a good night we all meet up at are favorite places and chill but the tricky part is not making your self visible for the police.
"The Pike" is located in Newington, CT its a 20-50mile road with a lot of fast food restaurants I.E. Mickey D's, dunkin donuts, taco bell. Wendy's, etc., and the cops in newington are a bunch of DIC-heads cause they have nothing better to do cause its in a rich town and they pull you over for anything.
I remember about 4 months ago I was driving on an off night like a Monday and I was putting gas in my car and it was about 1:30 in the morning. SO, IM driving home and i see in my rear view mirror a cop....turns is lights and i pull over and he asked for my Drivers and registration and he sees IM from Hartford, CT (where i live were known for drugs and other crap like that) and this cop was trying to get me for anything he searched my car, searched me, looked for anything illegal and couldn't find anything so what he got me for was to dark of a tinted window and a $136 later i was good to go home. but of course any tinted window would look dark at 1:30 in the morning and he got me for my back window the law of CT is any % for back window

I have a 1988 Chrysler lebaron 2dr coupe and my back 3 windows are limo....BUT... my fronts are 35% which is legal in CT and my lebaron is legal period nothing illegal except for it being a Turbo mopar LMAO and this coming may i have a court date which i think is ridiculous ...wish me luck....

Shadow24
01-20-2007, 03:00 AM
good luck with that. i know the pike, ive been down there a time or two. took 2 friends in my GEO PRISM mind you, with a tach on it cause there wasnt one stock, and i got the flashlight search pulling into Dunkin donuts. in a freaking GEO. i gave up going there as they are now getting federal aid to patrol the pike friday and saturday nights. ins not worth it unless your going to pop the hood, set up a lawn chair with a cooler full of soda and chill. other than that, the cops are everywhere there now. 5 years ago i was down there, it was nice, now, *shrugs*

inmyshadow
01-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Most CT cops use the tinted window and no front plate law as a reason to pull you over. Then they will give the car a few "once overs".

When I use to work in Hartford for TCI/ATT. I use to watch all the hartford cops pulling people over for window tint. I even seen them setup a check point just for window tint.

A few summers ago, I got pulled over in my hometown for "speeding". I kept asking about how fast I was going. I saw right through his bluff. So he started walking around my car, looking for reasons to give me a ticket. He could only come up with no front plate and my license plate frame blocking my reg sticker. I fought it and left only paying 20 bucks. It seems that the cops have really stopped chasing people as much as they use to the past few years.

I even got pulled over in my daytona for window tint. I didn't get a ticket, but an inspection notice. I laughed because I knew I would pass. So I had the state test the tint and affix the stickers saying so.

I can't say cops on either berlin or newington cops are dicks. Even when I got busted for racing in newington, the cop was very respectful and cheerful. He and his partner were totally shocked I had just beaten a 3000GT too.

I miss the days of parking along the pike and just watching. Those were the days. Route 15 would be lined with people tailgating, checking out all the sweet cars. Then a certain movie played, spoiling the scene for the rest.

People in Mass have it worst then CT. They are getting pulled over for having their foglights on. Plus they have one billy bad --- state trooper in the area that targets modified cars.

It just boils down to how your roll. You either be smart, not giving the cops any reason to pull you over. Or you drive like an ---, with infractions all over you car. Its pretty simple.

I have a 1988 Chrysler lebaron 2dr coupe and my back 3 windows are limo....BUT... my fronts are 35% which is legal in CT and my lebaron is legal period nothing illegal except for it being a Turbo mopar LMAO and this coming may i have a court date which i think is ridiculous ...wish me luck....

TurboII
01-21-2007, 10:07 PM
My car is as plain as you can get theirs no turbo badges or embalms on the car and that night I was driving the speed limit cause I saw the two cops from the other side of the road and I new they were their. I had my original eggshell wheels on and that day I was pulled over I had my windows half way down. The cop pulled me over was the fact I was from Hartford cause he must have ran my plate from the distance he tried to say that I got a thicket that I never paid for and I said do you know what was it for and he didn't reply just said "it was back in march by a newington cop" and I didn't get pulled over at all. Then he tried getting me for a register sticker that's on the rear plate when I told him its on my front window he stood shut. Then he searched my car and me and I felt violated cause I think cops are gay...well...newington cops that is but Thank God he didn't see my front plate cause I don't have one their.
Then I was talking to a Hartford cop and he told me that their supposed to do a window check and I told him he got me for my back window and he replied "theirs know limit for your back window."

I just hate newington cops cause they just give you tons of bull but I tell you one thing though that night I was pulled over I was scared to death cause the way they ran up on me made it look like I stole something boy-o-boy I was scared.

Nemesismachine
01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
It's not that different. They do it at most tracks in MD. MIR, Capital, and 75-80 before it closed. It was never THAT bad, but there was always a patrol car waiting outside for the losers who felt it necessary to do burnouts outside the gates.

Capt'n Dave
01-23-2007, 01:48 PM
With the Paint Scheme my 86 shelby has,Silver body Wide Blue Strip on hood ,top,back,I thought i would be Nailed as soon as it hit the Highway,so far not a problem here in Ohio,I have seen local police park outside Bars and bust guys on their way home.... There is not active Emissions inspections as far as i can tell...Thank God !

Shadow24
01-24-2007, 12:21 AM
thats why im going with a plain metallic silver paint job with maybe a little trim color. unassuming color scheme means less likely to be pulled over provided im not being an --- driver lol

dodgeshadowchik
01-24-2007, 04:42 PM
california is run by a bunch of screwballs, really. i just don't understand the exteme pressure they put on car emissions. i mean, cars really (in the big sceme of things) are not the huge problem. do they do anything about the factories? i don't know... the whole "global warming" thing makes me angry. I honeslty beleive that it's a huge ploy for money, like most things in this world. if you look at history, there's been numerous climate changes. and i don't think you can blames cars for the last ice age. ;) i do think that it is happeneing; but it was going to happen regardless. heck, the largest contributor to greenhouse gasses is completly natural: volcanoes. anyways, i'm thowing this way off topic. i think we should be spending time figuring out how to deal with climate changes not so much stopping it. you know, find a happy medium... so we can still have our cars. lol!

i like michigan's leiniant rules... except for how high insurance costs are.

93sundance
01-25-2007, 09:07 AM
True, I think global warming is inevitable. Nothing we can really do to stop it.

SebringLX
02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I think out here in Montana they just put speed limits on the highways a couple years before I moved here, lol. Montana is so far behind on it's laws. They JUST, and I mean like only a few months ago, passed an open container law. For most of the time I have lived here, it was perfectly legal to drive around with an open beer in your car. The bars used to even give you "To Go" cups... and they wondered why there are so many DUI's out here.

No emissions checks out here at all either. Then again when most major cities in the US have more people than this entire state has, I guess emissions isn't that big of a concern here.

I haven't been to the track yet (going for the first time in April, it's 4 hours away from me), but I don't see there being any cops sitting outside of it. There's so much open road between towns out here, there's no way the cops can cover it. I've heard that as long as you're not putting anyones life in danger, they usually won't bother pulling you over for speeding on the highways here.

I don't think street racing is a issue out here at all though. Not very many fast cars around, most people drive trucks or SUVs out here. Either that, or old beat up cars. The local "Ricer" crowd is a handful of cars that sit in the parking lot of Checkers at like 11 pm. Usually a couple Grand Ams, a Honda or 2, and a couple Cavaliers. All with primer painted body kit pieces, lol.

Tony Hanna
02-27-2007, 06:46 PM
So Montana has a speed limit now? I remember reading an article a few years ago where they had lifted the speed limit. The speed limit signs said "Reasonable and prudent" or something to that effect. I think it was in Popular Mechanics. They drove across the state of Montana in a Pontiac Montana sitting against the top speed limiter the whole trip.

SebringLX
02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
So Montana has a speed limit now? I remember reading an article a few years ago where they had lifted the speed limit. The speed limit signs said "Reasonable and prudent" or something to that effect. I think it was in Popular Mechanics. They drove across the state of Montana in a Pontiac Montana sitting against the top speed limiter the whole trip.
Yeah they've had one since before I moved here in '04. I just did a quick search, and it looks like the limits went into effect in '99. On the interstate, the speed limit is 75. On most highways, it's 70, some are 65. Some have night time speed limits of 55. I've never once seen a cop outside of town (except for on the interstate near the county jail), since I moved here. I've seen more Forestry Department vehicles outside of town than cops. Some of their vehicles look kind of like cop cars and scare ya, lol.

Tony Hanna
02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Well from what they said in the article, they have way more road than they do police, so that makes sense that you don't see too many of them. It's a shame about the speed limit going back into effect. I always wanted to take a trip out there just to do some high speed driving without fear of cops.

saw wave analog
02-28-2007, 05:41 AM
when i had my 98 gsx with black wheels that was a lot slower and quieter than any of my omnis have been, not to mention 4wd so it couldnt do burnouts, i was pulled over 7 times in less than 3 months. i never really got a ticket for anything other than a speed contest that i would have gotten busted for in anything because the bastard was hiding behind a tree on a road known for speeding... but damn the cops hated that car

half the reason i sold it was because of all the attention it drew.. then when they had me out of the car and saw i was 21 i would always get ---- about it being daddys car even though i was making more money than they were and sure as ---- never got anythign for free from my parents

now, in my omnis, which ive been driving for 4 years.. they are a lot louder, a lot faster, and a whole hell of a lot more prone to chirping the tires... and ive never been pulled over in one... i can get away with flooring it a couple cars away from them in light traffic just because no one thinks that sounds like that would be coming from an innocent little omni :D

we dont have emissions testing here, and the worst the cops do is break up the cruisers at 1130 during the summer.. i suppose its possible to get a ticket for a loud exhaust, but the cops in south bend generally have better things to do than mess with us

i saw 2 fully marked patrol cars run each other off of a light near my house once when i was out witha couple guys cruising in our dsms... brake torqued it and all, went on green... we knew what they were doing before they went, i would kill to have had a camera on hand for that hehe

Hooty
02-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Well from what they said in the article, they have way more road than they do police, so that makes sense that you don't see too many of them. It's a shame about the speed limit going back into effect. I always wanted to take a trip out there just to do some high speed driving without fear of cops.

It is a shame, but I remember the fight was that the federal government told montana they had to actually have a posted numerical limit, or they wouldn't give them any money for the freeways etc. As one who lived in Montana for years (and still wouldn't mind going back one day), I remember the court cases associated with the "Reasonable and Prudent". Too many idiots were arguing that going 95-100mph in an old beater that was almost ready to fall apart while driving Drunk/High and saying that the speed was still "reasonable and prudent" to them, so they shouldn't have gotten tickets. Yeah, that sucked, I miss the no speed limit.

-Will

capev86
02-28-2007, 01:06 PM
this is exactly why i love my k wagon. as long as i keep it looking like a sleeper nobody will ever bother me! Maine isn't as bad as some states. a cat-back exhaust may be installed and must not exceed 95 decibels (hopefully the fwd-p systems meets this). most of the other laws concern extra lighting and tire size changes, which is less stringent for me because i don't have ABS. but i'm keeping the stock tire diameter (bigger wheels) for clearance and speedo calibration. i emailed the state awhile back and also have read up on the SEMA work to make allowances for hobbyists. if you know you were unfairly treated or got ticketed for something legal, document everything and take it to a judge!

Tony Hanna
02-28-2007, 07:51 PM
It is a shame, but I remember the fight was that the federal government told montana they had to actually have a posted numerical limit, or they wouldn't give them any money for the freeways etc. As one who lived in Montana for years (and still wouldn't mind going back one day), I remember the court cases associated with the "Reasonable and Prudent". Too many idiots were arguing that going 95-100mph in an old beater that was almost ready to fall apart while driving Drunk/High and saying that the speed was still "reasonable and prudent" to them, so they shouldn't have gotten tickets. Yeah, that sucked, I miss the no speed limit.

-Will

Isn't it funny how the federal government treats the states like kids? Do something we don't like and you don't get any allowance...:lol:
I remember they interviewed a cop for the PM article. He said he handled reasonable and prudent on a case by case basis. He said he wouldn't give Mario Andretti a ticket for going 150+ in a Ferrari, but if farmer Joe tried the same thing in his pickup that was a different story.:)

daytonaturbo87
02-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Around here the cops can be dicks sometimes too, but they usually only go after you if you're driving like an idiot. I've got a plymouth satellite, big block, big rear tires and a jacked up rear end. The exhaust isn't overpoweringly loud, but you can hear it. Cops have been right beside me, behind me, etc and never bugged me at all, even tho I'm sure they could give me a ticket if they wanted. But there's a street downtown that's popular for cruising on sunday nights. In the early-mid 90's it was just the cruisers who cruised on sunday nights, you know, guys with lots of cash into their cars who don't street race em. But in the last 5-10 years it's changed from cruisers to street racers. So if you have anything illegal on your car, or rev your engine a lil too loud, etc you're just begging for a ticket. The racing on that road was a hot-button political thing a couple years ago so the cops really clamped down.

Just glad we don't have emissions testing out here, I know for sure my satellite wouldn't pass, and I highly doubt my daytona would have a chance either. I'm sure it's comming eventually. We do have to have safety inspections done on our cars before registering them tho, and that sucks. Keeps a lot of rustbuckets/beaters off the road, so in a sense it's good, but in another way it's crap cause you can't just buy a couple hundred dollar winter beater.:mad:

deuce dodge
03-30-2007, 08:16 AM
plan on running an open downpipe (CUTOUT) for my 45 mile trips to drag strip each week....this spring and summer and fall.....like i have done often in the past.....it makes me feel like im riding a motorcycle....

FREEDOM

painted my hood bright white and added a strong blue "SHELBY" wide racing stripe on turbo hump.........it makes me feel like im riding a motorcycle......

FREEDOM

my car has low emissions and gets 34.8 mpg..........and i love nature.....woods paintball rules....and i mountain bike...........KINDA LIKE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE.

FREEDOM

if ya walk around in a room ....while others just sit......and stare.....ya git to see a bit more........

deuce