PDA

View Full Version : New fuel pump...problem.

3Bar_Mopar
06-07-2011, 09:33 PM
It was hotter than heck today. Went across town to get lunch. Car felt a little sluggish, but I attributed it to the heat. Less than a mile from home on the way back I stopped at a light. Went to take off....lost all power...engine just sputtered out. Basically the more gas I gave, the more it wanted to choke out. It died and I couldn't get is started again.

Pushed it into a nearby gas station and tried starting it some more. Priming the pump 3 times or more got the engine puttering on 3 cylinders for a short time...otherwise it wouldn't do anything.

I got underneath the back of the car and felt the rubber fuel line..no leaks, nice and tight...not soft at all. (I replaced the fuel line from the pump to the filter with FI hose.)

Left the car there and walked home. Went back later to tow it back to the house and the car fired up like nothing was ever wrong. I drove it home and looked under the hood again... Got in for a closer look and smelled fuel. The rubber return line where it attaches to the hard line going back to the tank was leaking....not only that but the whole rubber hose looks like a dry rotted tire. I replaced the hose and FI clamps and tightened everything down. Car has power again and runs great. It's not as hot out though and I'm worried about driving it anywhere.

Any chance the leaky return line was causing the problem somehow? This is a brand new pump...I hope it's not failing already.

Also...no codes.

shelbymonster
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
i just had a similar problem , to much gunk in the fuel tank and it filled the fuel filter enough to make the pump overheat , let the car sit for couple hours and its fine ...

3Bar_Mopar
06-09-2011, 06:34 PM
i just had a similar problem , to much gunk in the fuel tank and it filled the fuel filter enough to make the pump overheat , let the car sit for couple hours and its fine ...

The sock filter or the inline filter? Should I take the pump out and try to clean the tank?

shelbymonster
06-09-2011, 07:09 PM
i changed both the second time

black86glhs
06-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes, cleaning out the tank would be best.