PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 Parts Drying up?

ShelGame
06-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Are the 2.4 parts drying up? I used to be able to find 2.4 parts easily on both eBay and Craigslist. But, looking lately, there doesn't seem to be much. Are they all dryed up? or do I just need to go to an actual junkyard to find stuff.

I'm looking for a early model 2.4 (pre 2k) and a Eclipse/Avenger/Talon 420a cylinder head. Just core parts. Everything on eBay is rebuilt and big $$$...

dodgeshadowchik
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I've noticed that eBay is pretty much overpriced things now. Haven't seen a good deal on there for a while, now. Case in point: I needed the timing covers for the turbo talon engine. One of the vendors had them for $56 and $36. On eBay it was $176 for both plus shipping. ??!! I'm guessing craigslist took some of the appeal of eBay away since craigslist is free.

Also, maybe people are keeping (and fixing) their old 4-cylinders due to gas prices now? Or, like you said it just could be that they are an aging platform and thus there are less of them out there now.

ShelGame
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Hmm, makes me really wish I had kept all the 2.4/420a parts I had collected a few years ago. I had a complete 2.4 and like 3 420a heads and a couple of intakes not to mention a Neon A413. Oh well, you can't keep it all.

But, if I can't find the parts at a reasonable price, I may just have to do something else with this Daytona. Maybe a supercharged, injected, intercooled 2.5/2.2? M90 superchargers are still cheap enough on eBay...

zin
06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
LOL!! I still have the portion you sold to me! If you want it back, you'll need to send a brown paper bag stuffed with 1s...., er 20s?

Seriously, if you need it, I've still got it, just one of a laundry list of projects that may or may not get done, and not in the top 5 right now...

Mike

BadAssPerformance
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm looking for a early model 2.4 (pre 2k) ........... Just core parts. ..

A useable core, or just a core? I might have a beat up one I just took out of the Z :(

ShelGame
06-01-2011, 10:50 PM
A useable core, or just a core? I might have a beat up one I just took out of the Z :(

Rebuildable at least. Preferably without needing a re-bore...

Juggy
06-02-2011, 12:03 AM
I have a head from my 97 stratus. the car was running when i dismantled the engine. it had 180k kilometers (110k miles)
id def think about rebuilding it....head is complete cams lifters rockers etc....valve cover....

PM me and we can work out some sort of cash/cal deal ;)

BadAssPerformance
06-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Rebuildable at least. Preferably without needing a re-bore...

Yeah... this one might become a planter LOL

rbryant
06-02-2011, 02:11 AM
The last time I checked my local pick a part had probably 4-5 2.4l stratus engines and a couple of 420a talon/avengers and that is a "small" yard.

I am sure there are that many or more at 3-4 local junkyards around here. It probably just depends on where you are. They are surely easier to find than a 2.5l turbo engine these days.

-Rich

135sohc
06-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Its been out of production since early 2010 by now hasnt it ? Between all the earlier cloud cars no longer with us and even starting to thin out from the yards and being replaced with the last generation of mopars its not a suprise to see it going away.

RoadWarrior222
06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Probably plenty around still, it's just passed from one stage to the next. Up to 10 year old and newer vehicles, their parts tend to get cleaned up, stocked in big city warehouses, and sold at decent prices... advertised heavily... next stage for 7ish to 15ish years old is that in the main it's the more suburban yards, who may or may not pull stuff in advance and have it all shiny on the shelf, and the stage after that is u-pull, until it goes to collector phase.